Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone stalled a turbo timer and what are your thoughts on it.
I used to have a Mazda RX7 (3rd Gen) and a turbo timer was a mod that was a must to improve and extend the life of the turbos.

For those who might not be familiar with them... A turbo timer is a device that you can set to keep the engine running after you park and get out and leave the car.
You can program it for 30 seconds to 5 minutes before it shuts the engine off. It's a totally secure system and no one can steel your car.
The purpose of this is after spirited driving and everything is really hot, you can park your car and leave it running at idle for a preset amount of time to allow the engine and turbo to cool down. If this is not done with a turbo that is oil cooled, you can get oil coking on the turbo shaft (NOT GOOD).

Brian

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
In theory illegal in the uk . with the r seriesmini coolant was pumped after engine switch off if needed, around the turbo. To be safe in my f 56 i always trickle in to our village hence letting things cool.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
MINIs have an auxiliary electric pump that will continue to cool the turbo if needed after the car is turned off. My Countryman would run it all the time, but the new ones are much quieter. I doubt they are necessary at all anymore.

Reactions: brandonbardsley
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.