Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after much deliberation I have bitten the bullet.

I bought new alloys-very cheap on mytyres.co.uk to put my 16'' winter tyres on and then started to look for the tpms valves-if you go to the USA on ebay they are VERY cheap but by the time you add post and import duties around £200 .

My tyre fitter offered universal ones-they read your tpms and programme the new one-£50 a wheel so was going to do that-rang to order them and he said
a) because the car was so new there was no guarantee his code reader would work and
b) really put me off-I couldn't take the old wheels away because the transmitter on the old valves would interfere with the transmitter on the new valves!

So rang Mini and they have come down a bit- £65 each-so ordered them.

I am of the understanding that iif the wheel isn't spinning they swithch off to save the battery(hence the tpms system only works with the car moving) AM I RIGHT, and there fore will I be ok having the new tyres and wheels fitted and then putting the originals in the back of the car and drving home to put in my garage to store OR WILL I HAVE ISSUES?

Can any one help/advise.:|

·
Registered
160 Posts
Unfortunately this is an issue I haven't come across yet as I only have one set of tyres. But good luck mate, hope someone replies to assist you.

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If not, Tuesday is the day-will bite the bullet and try it; two chances! At least with mini originals I can go back to them plus insurance cant complain; will let you know!
J

·
Registered
890 Posts
I tried to get information about this a few months ago from my dealer, but a resounding silence was the reply.
Let us know how you get on while blazing the trail!

·
Registered
966 Posts
That's a good point you raise there. I just went out to the carpark to try and check mine while it's stationery, "NOTE: tyre pressures will be monitored when driving" so it looks like they do stitch on when spinning.

Not wanting to hijack your thread, but has anyone got a price for the wheel/tyre package yet? I'm waiting for them to phone back, as there was a question mark over whether one of the options had tpms, or was even compatible.

I was hoping they'd have the details to hand, it's something they've been doing for previous generations for years.

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easier to do it your self via mytyres-you can even see what the car looks like in vo with the wheels you choose-then just buy the tpms's from mini! I love my DEZENT graphites!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Easier to do it your self via mytyres-you can even see what the car looks like in vo with the wheels you choose-then just buy the tpms's from mini! I love my DEZENT graphites!
Are these wheels bang on for fitment? I did have a look at a couple of sites, but all seemed to be different offsets and cb's. These can be worked around I know, but wouldn't want you to try your wheels only to find you need spigot rings :D

This coming from a bloke who couldn't work out why the first time he tried to fit his winters they wouldn't go on, only to find there were spigots for the summers - doh!;)

btw the parts dude just got back to me with a price for steelies, have to check the details when I'm up there next weeking getting the recall done on the spare wheel retainer.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I am sure Donna has been through a similar decision process, hopefully she will be able to enlighten you.

I know that these are a good safety feature but until I had a MINI I managed without having a tyre pressure warning system just by looking at my tyres before getting in the car and checking the pressure weekly. So, can people just go without?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I got a quote of circa £1400 Mike, from JC MINI, but that was for 16" wheels with Pirelli Sottozeros. Always ask for discount. I got 10% straight off my TPMS.
I went with 17"s though so I had straight swap spares if/when I need it.
Will get the tyres/wheels/TPMS sensors assembled come payday :) bring on the white stuff.......

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just picked a set of 16 inch Radial Spokes complete with Dunlop sp winter sport 3d for £1000 all in from my dealer.
Price started off at nearly£1300 but told him to behave himself and do me a deal and he came back with this price,and yes they are runflats and have tpms valves.
Car is due next week wooohoooooo!.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I am sure Donna has been through a similar decision process, hopefully she will be able to enlighten you.

I know that these are a good safety feature but until I had a MINI I managed without having a tyre pressure warning system just by looking at my tyres before getting in the car and checking the pressure weekly. So, can people just go without?
That is what I have been trying to find out.

Obviously you have to have the whole TPMS system, sensors, transmitters and warning light functional for the MOT when that eventually arrives, but I am not sure of the implications of running winter wheels for a few months without TPMS sensors fitted.

Some think that the ECU will assume there is a puncture if no TPMS signal is received and the car may be switched into a restricted mode eg no cruise control, no sport mode etc. That would be no use, but that may not be the case, who knows?

We may just have to wait until someone tries it, the dealership is certainly not clued up and I am not sure I would believe their first reply anyway.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I was led to belive that you'll get the audible alarm if the TMPS were missing. Also I wonder if it may impact on the cruise control etc?

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dezents came with spigot rings and bolts. Let you know Tue but the website seems clear they fit. Do the maths 290 wheels 350 ish tyres 260 tpms @60 for fitting is a fair bit cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm not doubting your thinking, or your maths mate.

glad to hear that the spigot rings were included, sounds like you're sorted.

be good to see some pictures once they're on.

so next week when I'm up at JC, and ask for the same discount as you Donna, do I need to use any password/secret handshake etc?

·
Registered
14 Posts
£860 verses £1000 think I would rather have the genuine BMW/MINI equipment.I also looked at MYTYRES but just wasn't convinced ie the compatability of the sensors.Also wasn't sure what kind of quality the wheels were going to be.

You pays your money you takes your chance.

·
Registered
190 Posts
This is a good thread, jeremybingham: lots of useful information. Can I ask a related question? I have asked my dealer to fit winter tyres to my F55 MCS before I pick it up mid-November. I assumed this would mean my buying a new set of wheels + tyres, but the genuine Mini/BMW gear is very expensive here. They want the equivalent of £2400 for a full set of 17" Cosmos blacks + Pirelli tyres. I'd be looking for a substantial discount on that, of course, but the dealer suggests just buying the extra set of winter tyres and having them fitted to the wheels that come on the car. Then I'd just be rotating summer / winter tyres every 6 months or so. This option will be much cheaper, but are there any issues I need to be aware of - reasons why it may be better to fork out for a full set of wheels/tyres rather than just the tyres? I know that one issue is the extra time it will take to swap the tyres. I will get the dealer to do that for me and they've said that if swapping tyres on spare wheels they could do it while I wait, whereas for swapping tyres only, they would need to keep the car for half a day. I can live with that, I think, given the amount I would save in not buying the new wheels, but are there any other issues I need to consider?

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We did this initially with no issues at all. Took the car to local tyre dealer swap tyres to same rims off we went took 1hour max and they stored the tyres for a fiver since we bought them from them. Cheap valve and balance due to this too. It's just a bit of hassle for us to go into town as we are a distance away but my mum does this no problem. I would definitely do this if we lived closer it's a much cheaper option in . Some ways but of course every change needs new valve and balance so it soon adds up!

're the alloys dezents I got are Tue approved made in Germany. Quality looks easily on a Parr with mini but you still need the tpms sensors. Didn't want to risk the annoying beeping!

Reactions: Shigaman

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So eventually ended up buying mini originals. My old r56 alloys will soon be on eBay.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts