Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm on the brink of ordering a new JCW subject to my own car being sold privately first. If I go ahead I still have a few options to ponder. Perhaps one of the biggest is whether to go for the 17" or 18" alloys. I'm pretty set on the 17"s despite apparently being in the minority on this forum.

The question I'd like your help with is to clarify whether the tyres that go on the 18"s at the factory are of a lower profile than those that get fitted to the 17"s? In other words, do the 17" actually fit the arches in the same way as with 18"s

Also, can I delete the zero cost runflat tyre option if I go for the 17" Track Spoke alloys as I've heard these provide a better driving experience. I've been told by a dealer that tyres with the 18" are runflat only.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yup. runflats only from MINI on 18's
Both the 17's and 18's are 205 section so yes, with the slight variation in tyre wall shape. I'm pretty sure the rims are the same width too.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Standard tyres in 17 and 18 are 205 width but are not the same aspect ratio (height/width) - 17s are 45 and 18s are 40, see below.

So standard 17 tyres are nominally 617mm diameter while standard 18 tyres are 621mm diameter. That difference isn't significant as there is no guarantee that an actual tyre will be exactly the nominal diameter .

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Angib has it correct. The rolling diameters of all JCW wheel/tire options will be comparable. That said, rolling diameters of even the same tire size will vary across brands and models of tires.

Just as a random survey point; I have the 17's in Pirelli run-flat and find their ride quality very comfortable. I've also driven a JCW on the 18"s and didn't observe any significant difference, mainly because the factory suspension options are on the soft side. IMO, just get the wheels you like.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I believe you have your answer already with the above input. As was said, the 17's have an aspect ratio of 45 while the 18's have aspect ratio of 40....minimal overall OD difference.

The chief issue I take with the MINI configurator is they list the wheel width of the 18" cup spoke wheel as 7.5" (instead of the correct 7")...unless they finally corrected it. This is one reason I opted for the 18's, as I anticipated putting on a slightly wider tire when I go to non-runflats.

My stock Pirelli runflats are just fine however even on the lower profile 205/40/18's...I have no complaints about ride quality...maybe some of us just prefer stiffer suspensions!

I prefer the 18's, but to each their own....If I was going with the track spokes I'd opt for the black though fwiw. The silver just looks small on the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.