Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I need to replace a tyre on my car and I have always had Hankook Ventus prime tyres on and have always replaced the tyres with the same.

The speed rating on them is a W. After looking around at other tyres there are some which are quite a bit cheaper that have a V rating instead. Lots of tyre websites said don't use a lower speed rating than what your car originally came with as it could void your insurance. I contacted my insurance just to ask and they said you have to stick with the speed rating in the handbook for your car, well, I have looked and can't find anything listed in the handbook. Do you know anywhere that might list what is acceptable on the Mini?

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Cooper S F55 Exclusive Thunder Grey
59 Posts
I think you'll find garages won't fit tyres of a different speed rating and will only fit the same as what's already fitted. Otherwise you could get someone with a super car asking for a lower rating to save money and then the garge could be liable if came to light at a MOT or accident.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that but I visited one today and they wanted to put a V rated tyre on. I asked if it should be the same as the others and they said it didn't matter. Thought I would check it out for myself before I went ahead with that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am not sure you need a w rated tire, but mixing is not a good thing to do. Go to any decent site( i.e. tire rack) and they will never say it's ok to mix different types of tires on a car driven on the street.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I rang around a few garages this morning. I said I wasn't bothered about having a W rated tyre but wondered if I needed to as that is what is on the car. He said he had heard of insurance problems if you change from the speed rating that the car was shipped with. They found a replacement that was half the price of the Hankook tyres that were on, still star rated and with a W rating. Think I will stay with W especially as there is a replacement that is much cheaper but still has the same specs as the original ones.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nowt wrong with using V rated tyres unless the top speed on the car is over 149mph. If you look at the sticker in the door, you will find that the winter tyre rating is almost always different to summer. (quite often H) Heck my winter tyres are T rated. (118mph) I would take a lower speed rating over a worse tyre. My 5 door cooper S came with V rated pirellis. I bought some basic 16" wheels to fit my winter tyres on and they came with W rated hankooks.

The crucial thing to never change down is the load rating.

Insurance companies can be a right pain in the backside when asked questions like this. Some would have you believe fitting a non mini branded wiper blade would affect your insurance if asked.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help, the tyres the garage put on seem good. Maybe not as good as the Hankook ones for fuel efficiency though. I only had my last Hankook ones on for about 2 and a half years and after finding a nail in it, I took it to be repaired. They took the wheel off and they pointed out that they couldn't fix it as it was badly cracked, which it was. I took it to another garage on the way home to double check it couldn't be fixed and they said not so thought I better change it.

They took it off and checked my other tyres, they noticed that the tyre on the other side had a big side bubble so had to be changed too. As long as these last more than 2 years then I will be happy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think insurers have moved on from speed rating to 'star' rating, thats to say OEM approved tyres have a star on the sidewall (for BMW AG cars), no star, no approval ;-)

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
Doubt it in the UK. The star simply means BMW approved but plenty of good or better tyres out there and UK insurers aren't interested in that. If your speed rating is above max of the car I assume you're fine but I wouldn't mix speed ratings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts