Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
18,000 miles covered now, and still a very happy owner - amazed by the excellent fuel consumption, although annoyed by the uncomfortable back seat.

Just a word on the tyres though. Obviously the OEM Dunlops on the front were getting close to the end of their life, but it's been very noticeable how little grip they've had this winter. In the UK, it's not that usual to fit winter tyres, and I've never noticed any particular difference in tyre performance winter-summer with my previous cars. But setting off from home in my F54 at anything less than about 7 deg C, the grip at the front has been hopeless. Also, when turning at high lock and low speed, it's done some of the vibrating chatter thing (a bit like that phenomenon that Merc GLC owners are enraged about, I guess). After a mile or two, doing some of that Formula 1 style tyre warming (they'd spin even in 3rd gear!) they got better. Anyway, they got completely worn out and now I've changed them for Michelin Cross Country all season tyres. The improvement has been absolutely dramatic, and I would recommend these to anyone.

· Registered
152 Posts
Were the original tyres run flats?
I've only had mine for a month or so and all I know is it has some brand of run flats on 18 inch wheels, given its an auto I am surprised how easy it wheelspins when pulling out of side roads!

· Registered
165 Posts
We have the same problem with loads of people here in NL, thinking they are good enough drivers to defy physics.

I also would not go all seasons. Jack of all, master of none. Personally I stick with decent summer tyres and some basic steel rims/winters during the cold months. Better to be safe than dead. My 15 inch Pirelli Snow Contacts did a awesome job when I drove through Switzerland in the snow.

I'll just leave these here.

· Registered
641 Posts
18,000 miles covered now, and still a very happy owner - amazed by the excellent fuel consumption, although annoyed by the uncomfortable back seat...
I agree, very uncorfortable!

Which Michelin are you talking about? Cross Country or Cross Climate (0:))...
I have them on my wife Toyota ans don't seem bad.

Despite this depending on my opinion...Michelin Pilot Sport (2 or 3) in summer and Alpin5 in winter...
And never run flat tyres!

· Registered
70 Posts
My 2015 MCS came with Dunlop run flats. At 18,000, I too replaced them. I went with the new Pirelli P Zero All Seasons non run flats. They are like night and day compared with the Dunlops. If you look at the tread pattern, they are similar with the P's having small lateral indentations. The difference, it appears is the compound. Everyday I go from gravel, 350 ft down hill, to smooth asphalt 1/4 mile, to interstate speeds (approx. 80mph) for 15 miles then to narrow, city streets. Temperature varies. So far I have driven them from 20 degrees F to 90 degrees F. On snow, ice, frost and sun. Best performance rated tires I've run over 50 years of driving. Even better than the Goodyear Eagles on my wife's Mini. This new compound really works. Just my opinion.

· Registered
134 Posts
A couple of years ago some of the tyre companies were recommending that in the UK, where the climate is temperate enough that two sets of tyres aren't really warranted, it was better to run a cold weather tyre all year than a 'normal' tyre. The reasoning was/is that while you lose a little grip in hot weather compared to a normal UK tyre, you gain a lot more in the winter.
So after doing a bit of research, my previous car (which was prone to throwing the back end around - 520bhp to the back wheels does that) got a set of Nokian WR-A3 when I replaced them. It was a whole lot less scary in the winter and seemed fine in the summer (still got 0-60 in 4.3 seconds on the drag strip, so no problem with grip there).
I'm not going to rush out and ditch the standard tyres on our cars until they are used up, but I will certainly consider getting the Nokians again when the time comes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.