Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or do others think Mini spoil their steering wheels. I find all the 3 spoke steering wheels attractive except for that hateful groove all the way round. It seems no other manufacturers spoil their steering wheels like this. Why do they do this? Is it a cost saving method, is it supposed to be fashionable? :confused:

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
The groove does not bother me so much as the 3 spokes I find them a little too big wish Mini would make them just a little smaller. I like the shinny black on the 2016 steering wheels.:)

2014/15

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Steering wheel is fine, but the tach is too small imo.
Personally the tach should be in the middle as they always were, if you have a performance car, as the JCW is advertised, then the tach should be one of the most important gauges. We it is makes it hard to read after all there is a digital speedo in the same gauge as the speedo, weird!

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
I dont find the tach too bad, besides, if I really relied upon the tach, i could always use the centre led ring as my tach, that a little more in your face. I do have the heads up display so when really pushing the car to its rev limits, this is very handy as mentioned before, it has shift lights indicate max revs and change gears.
As for the wheel, i actually don't mind the wheel but since you have pointed out the split look, it doesnt improve the wheels looks.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I don't want to hijack this thread cause I really do like the steering wheel..maybe the JCW wheel is different but I love mine! I don't have a real problem with the tach either...it's just a wee bit small for my liking. I drive by the tach more than the speedometer...lol! It's just natural for me to know where the sweet spot is to shift. Obviously, I have a manual transmission. I do have my center light ring set to the tach setting too....one of the first things I did! No HUD for me. My bet is MINI engineers will tweek the tach at some point to make it more pronounced....it should be! The problem is putting the medi pack, nav, etc in the center pod! I guess something had to give.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
266 Posts
My only gripe is the size of the shift paddles. If you have a hand at 10 or 2 o'clock (where the grips are) then you can't reach the shift paddles properly without stretching your fingers awkwardly.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
My only gripe is the size of the shift paddles. If you have a hand at 10 or 2 o'clock (where the grips are) then you can't reach the shift paddles properly without stretching your fingers awkwardly.
If you drive at the 9.15 position they are just perfect. This is now the preferred position by performance drivers, apparently.

I have to say that while it worked for me on the M135, in the JCW I keep falling back to the "Ten to Two" position, and I find that I can't hit the paddles when going round things like roundabouts. A real pain as I have to remember to short shift to 2nd when pulling onto a roundabout from standstill.

Either that or actually use the gear selector, whatever next! ;)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Personally the tach should be in the middle as they always were, if you have a performance car, as the JCW is advertised, then the tach should be one of the most important gauges. We it is makes it hard to read after all there is a digital speedo in the same gauge as the speedo, weird!
Totally agree, I like my steering wheel, hadn't even noticed the groove TBH, just need to swap the Speedo and Tach and then everything is just fine. Tach definitely too small, needs to be in your face when gunning it. Gloss black inserts would be nice on the wheel but no deal breaker!

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
Me too love the wheel design and the bulges at ten to two. I love the interior design of my mini full stop. Gives me nearly as much feel good as looking at it as I leave it. The groove to me seems a pretty design feature with classy stitching too. Good job were all different ! Tacho works fine for me. As above you van feel the sweet shift spot anyway. Manual transmission plus of course if you get it wrong therevlimiter will kick in I assume.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Rev limiter definitely kicks in....ask me how I know! Accidentally down shifted from 5th to 2nd once!....thankfully I wasn't driving hard....the shift indicators are set very low anyway for the best gas mileage...not very realistic imo! I'd prefer a tighter shift pattern actually....short shift kit may be in order some day! ;-)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.