Mini Cooper Forum banner

UK Discounts

30K views 66 replies 44 participants last post by  krs 
I ordered my MCS in May - highly specced OTTR price about £25k, the first dealership I went to said they could not do discounts. So I played hardball with them, told them if they want an order they need to make the price more attractive. I'm paying on PCP over 4 years, for me what mattered was the monthly budget. I had £250 per month in my head, they came back with £265 per month and would not budge at all. So I went to 2 other dealers (Sytner in Coventry) who would give me a penny off and listers, Kings Lynn who came back with £252 per month. In total that equated to just over 8% discount. It meant a 100 mile drive to collect the car, but what better way to play with your new car.

From my experience it pays to shop around, also I found that if you know the exact spec you want then dealing with them via email takes the sales patter (and emotion) out of it making it easier to stick to your guns.

One other thing to look out for is that the dealers try to add the extras supaguard etc... onto the order. The best way to deal with that is to initially go along with it (that's where their margins come from), get them down to the number you have in your head - then tell them to take that off too. They are more likely to give you a bigger discount when they have high margins extras on the order, it's unlikely they will change the amount of discount applied later on in the deal as by that stage it's getting close to signing on the dotted line and they won't want to loose the sale.

I don't know if that's of any use, but thought it may be of use to share my experiences with you.
Mikey - some really good tips above so will try the weekend, went into first dealer the weekend and got the £300 discount as standard and thats all we offer line. Undecided on ordering a Cooper, Cooper D or Cooper SD. What I have noticed is the more spec I look at putting on the more attractive the Cooper SD looks as the prices become closer to each other.

I am Birmingham based so may try Coventry. What sort of deposit did you put down to get payments circa the £250 mark if you dont mind me asking.

Thanks

Adam

Thanks for all your help. Jeremy is Matt at Nottingham. I'm thinking of taking day off Friday and just going to get sorted across several dealers. After viewing the new mini the weekend i am tempted to trade my 3 series in which is 6 months old and get one as well as my partner.

Will give it a whirl weekend and Definately check out multiple dealers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.