Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first week with the mini. Loving it so far and the connectivity is awesome. I have a Media XL.

When I pull up the Radio on the display, it shows an image but they seem generic to the 'genre' that the mini determines (or perhaps the DAB station metadata says so).

The manual mentions expanding the image to a large display, but I was wondering if anyone knows how we can pull in better images for the radio stations, maybe the logo of the station or the program? Something more interesting than a generic image of 'Pop' or 'Rock'.

·
Registered
763 Posts
In the radio options make sure that HD radio is activated and that RDS is checked and Station Info is checked. If nothing still doesn't show up that station isn't broadcasting any images.

·
Registered
763 Posts
That is possible but you should still have radio options, see what's there for your country and make sure they are selected.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Yes USA specific,as far as I am aware in the uk we only get the style of programme and the generic picture set by this. Perhaps one day?

·
Registered
20 Posts
As far as I'm aware the UK DAB system supports broadcasting images but as hardly any devices (traditional style radios and most other car radios) support showing images, no stations currently broadcast them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think I've seen them on some Audi MMI systems. Only 95% certain that was via the DAB system however and not any internet radio system. (Like we can have via the TuneIn app)

From what I've read DMB is only tested in certain parts of London and hasn't been rolled out in the UK. Something to do with spectrum use/allocation I think?

I too was a little disappointed when I only seen the generic station type. Especially on the XL system.

I find the TuneIn app good. Better quality than the standard DAB too i find (Network coverage permitting). The only downside is it has a tenancy to reset/crash for me (I have Connected XL) and it can really consume your bandwidth if it's set to high audio quality!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I don't think artwork is broadcast in the UK as has been said.

But with network connections getting better in this country, I find internet radio through my phone a good option where I do get the artwork.

Beats One by Apple for example is very quick to update the image to show what's playing (when plugged in via USB)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just checked on my MCS with Media XL - artwork coming through OK from Heart (London) on DAB.

It's not displayed in the Station Info but in the DAB / FM list, or the Saved Stations list. The textual station info updates quickly (soon after the track changes) but the image lags a little, likely where there's more data associated with the image.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Old post but I notice some stations have artwork but some don't. In my previous F56 it had the smaller visual boost screen and always loaded up the Capital FM logo artwork in London but my other F56 which I have now with the bigger connected XL screen doesn't load it... odd! Maybe it needs a strong signal for a long time to load it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have to admit I miss the rolling text I used to get, now it's just a tiny Radio 2 generic symbol. Have I missed something in the settings ?

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
You can click the info button and if signal good enough you get the same. Second symbol down on left i think! Interestingly our f54 shows album art via i tunes on Spotify when playing what my teenage daughter calls music but by Spotify or usb ,no album art! I don't do ap ple!

Reactions: Baddog
1 - 13 of 13 Posts