Mini Cooper Forum banner

UK Vehicle Excise Duty (Road Tax) from 2025

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Blue al 
#1 ·
Wonder if this will only be for new EV's registered in that year and EVs now won't have duty?

Asking this because previously I owned a Golf R32 registered in March 2006.
Back in 2005/6 the government put up duty significantly on certain emission cars.
This only affected R32's registered from April 2006 even though emissions were the same on pre April 2006 models.
I believe the price difference is still around £300 pa cheaper if your R32 was registered in March compared to April 2006.

#3 ·
Wonder if this will only be for new EV's registered in that year and EVs now won't have duty?

Asking this because previously I owned a Golf R32 registered in March 2006.
Back in 2005/6 the government put up duty significantly on certain emission cars.
This only affected R32's registered from April 2006 even though emissions were the same on pre April 2006 models.
I believe the price difference is still around £300 pa cheaper if your R32 was registered in March compared to April 2006.
Good question because not very clear from today’s announcement. I am thinking maybe all EV cars from 2025 because no specific mention of exempting any purchased pre 2025 leaving it open for Government to charge all EV owners with varying thresholds based on £40k above and below. Guess we will find out soon as dealers decide how to price up the new cars within these thresholds

#4 ·
An interesting question, how will they charge (excuse the pun) - with ICEs it's easy, Kg CO2 per mile polution but with an EV it depends where you source your electricity, from generators who still use gas, through to Octopus who claim to be fully "green", or your own solar panels.
Let's face it, it will just be another tax grab with no sound logic.

#6 ·
From BBC News...

"Under the plans laid out today, electric cars registered from April 2025 will pay the lowest rate of £10 in the first year, then move to the standard rate which is currently £165.
The standard rate will also apply to electric vehicles first registered after April 2017."

#8 ·
OK, so £165/year from 2025. To be fair it was coming, the more EVs registered the more £165's the government misses out on each year.

No system is going to be fair unless its somehow based on mileage.

With the £155/year extra for the first 5 years of alternative fuel vehicles over £40k maybe we'll see loads of manufacturers offering OTR prices of £39,999

#12 ·
I’m Still paying 20 quid on the Sd,
but about 30 quid in duty every time I fill up so very little sympathy in this corner of Oxfordshire

Reactions: MINIMikeE
#15 · (Edited)
Best solution (for us EV owners) is to install a load of solar panels and watch the ICE owners weep….

really, no thanks …?
how green do you believe all these factory’s are on the other side of the planet ?
see Chinese commitment to environmental issues at the latest Cop in Egypt

China flooded the market 20 years ago with cheap state subsidised solar panels so the European manufacturers could no longer compete.

So I won’t buy a mini made in China, my grandfather worked in the Oxford factory and I would like my grandchildren to have the opportunity to do also.

I have driven well over 250,000 miles in last 3 generations of Mini, since 2005, I need a car that can do 200 miles per day at least once a fortnight, I work long and unsocial hours, and do not want to extend my day further to give my car “a little rest” when I would far rather being many lepton’s per hour to get home to my family.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Technology

#16 ·
Never really understood why non-EV owners post their envy on an EV specific forum.

Maybe it's just an Oxford thing ?

But to answer your question, of course the manufacture of solar panels isn't "green" but it's a lot greener than pumping out millions of tonnes of CO2 like owners of ICE vehicles do.

And if we choose to charge overnight we can use a supplier that uses only offshore wind at night so we can choose to produce no CO2 at all.

Most interesting thing about COP in Egypt was the number of delegates from oil companys lobbying against reducing CO2 emissions - the usual hypocricy of people who have no interest in the future, just maintaing their profits from the naive and envious.

#18 · (Edited)

verb

desire to have a quality, possession, or other desirable thing belonging to (someone else).

"he envied people with powerful electric minis“

“ he enjoys motorsport and often took his lighter electric mini on track”

these are are definitely not part of any of the definitions for envy I found….. 🤣
So currently im more than happy with my dinosaur fuelled minis, and will spend my next 30k on the Oxford built petrol Jcw version thanks all the same…

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.