Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Dudes

Have been here before with this query but am really keen to take the plunge very soon and buy either a new (brand new) Cooper or One (Manual, ideally, provided the clutch is not too unmanageably heavy) or DCT with a sunroof (a must for me) or a recent new model (ex demonstrator). I really dislike the new facelift version (the frosted perimeter of the centre console looks like it has developed severe chilblains) and am not sure that the exterior looks that great, either!

Am destined to test-drive the Cooper and One in the next few weeks but am still seriously worried by all the rumours I keep on encountering on You Tube videos' comments from disgruntled Mini drivers (both in Europe and in the USA) who report all sorts of hideous problems on their cars and while I realise that no car is perfect (except my exceedingly dull Micra) and that the F56 upgrades post 2016, especially, have ironed out many of the historical problems that bedevilled Mini models, I am not keen on spending close to £18k only to find that at relatively low mileage the car would start to fall to pieces and/or becomes unreliable?!

Does anybody have any advice? Is there a better model between the Cooper and One I(petrol, not diesel) in terms of reliability? Does the DCT offer more/less potential problems over the manual gear-box (and vice versa) or would there be no difference, in theory?

Are there ways to ensure that new/recently used models can be run for 25k miles without major problems other than regular filter/oil changes and proper servicing by Mini dealerships?!

Which car, from your experience, delivers the better performance, efficiency and reliability?!
Thanks, in anticipation!

A prospective Mini owner!

·
Super Moderator
7,443 Posts
I don't think you'll have any issue with driving a mini ,any sort for 25k miles. They are pretty well sorted.

Reactions: Minipoet

·
Registered
178 Posts
I keep on encountering on You Tube videos' comments from disgruntled Mini drivers (both in Europe and in the USA) who report all sorts of hideous problems on their cars
I suspect those are the guys with R-series cars (the previous generation).
The F-series are pretty well-made and don't have serious issues.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Dudes

Have been here before with this query but am really keen to take the plunge very soon and buy either a new (brand new) Cooper or One (Manual, ideally, provided the clutch is not too unmanageably heavy) or DCT with a sunroof (a must for me) or a recent new model (ex demonstrator). I really dislike the new facelift version (the frosted perimeter of the centre console looks like it has developed severe chilblains) and am not sure that the exterior looks that great, either!

Am destined to test-drive the Cooper and One in the next few weeks but am still seriously worried by all the rumours I keep on encountering on You Tube videos' comments from disgruntled Mini drivers (both in Europe and in the USA) who report all sorts of hideous problems on their cars and while I realise that no car is perfect (except my exceedingly dull Micra) and that the F56 upgrades post 2016, especially, have ironed out many of the historical problems that bedevilled Mini models, I am not keen on spending close to £18k only to find that at relatively low mileage the car would start to fall to pieces and/or becomes unreliable?!

Does anybody have any advice? Is there a better model between the Cooper and One I(petrol, not diesel) in terms of reliability? Does the DCT offer more/less potential problems over the manual gear-box (and vice versa) or would there be no difference, in theory?

Are there ways to ensure that new/recently used models can be run for 25k miles without major problems other than regular filter/oil changes and proper servicing by Mini dealerships?!

Which car, from your experience, delivers the better performance, efficiency and reliability?!
Thanks, in anticipation!

A prospective Mini owner!
Ive has 7 new mini's, 3 being F56's & am just about to order a new F56. Can honestly say i have not had anything really go wrong except for a problem with the tyre pressure monitoring system on ,y 1st one that was fixed by the dealer. The F series cars are much better put together and have better quality plastics inside, they feel more BMW like. They are also very good on Fuel & if your are going for the Cooper, the 3 Cylinder engine is an absolute gem.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Not sure how many bad reviews you have read, 5, 10, 100? But to give that some context. Since BMW started production of the Mini in 2001 they have made more than 3 million cars. Oxford produce about 175,000 cars a year or 1,000 a day.

So if you have read 100 or even 1,000 bad reviews for all years of production that is a very low percentage of the cars made.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive has 7 new mini's, 3 being F56's & am just about to order a new F56. Can honestly say i have not had anything really go wrong except for a problem with the tyre pressure monitoring system on ,y 1st one that was fixed by the dealer. The F series cars are much better put together and have better quality plastics inside, they feel more BMW like. They are also very good on Fuel & if your are going for the Cooper, the 3 Cylinder engine is an absolute gem.
yes, thanks, am intending to buy the Cooper/3 cylinder version in manual or DCT (uncertain which!) and I have read that their fuel economy is much improved and can be, on average, 35mpg plus?

Tyre pressure monitoring system faults and things like I could countenance; it was worries about their past track record with bigger issues that really made me concerned...

·
Registered
57 Posts
In my close-cirlcle, i know about 6 minis (1 r56, 3 countryman , 1 cooper d and my 2020 cooper) with zero issues so far. I think that a Cooper with DCT is the best option in terms of performance-consumption and price and that was my option of choise.

Dont formulate your opinion by reading posts on the internet. People will usually post/comment about a problem. In this fraction you know the numerator (cars with issues) but you dont know the denominator (how many cars are actually problem free).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my close-cirlcle, i know about 6 minis (1 r56, 3 countryman , 1 cooper d and my 2020 cooper) with zero issues so far. I think that a Cooper with DCT is the best option in terms of performance-consumption and price and that was my option of choise.

Dont formulate your opinion by reading posts on the internet. People will usually post/comment about a problem. In this fraction you know the numerator (cars with issues) but you dont know the denominator (how many cars are actually problem free).
Yes, extremely good caveat there, thanks! I would also contend that there are many satisfied owners for the hundreds of thousands of models made and much depends on how well they are cared for and driven, too!

Would you also say that the DCT does not suffer from lag? Equally, is it fun to drive and what sort of consumption do you regularly get, on average?

Would you say that it is best to spec the Cooper with 16 inch alloys to get the best balance of performance, comfort, and fuel efficiency? I don't like their standard 15 inch ones, tbh, and think any higher puts a strain on suspension struts and fuel economy?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a Cooper 1.5 with a DCT, and I totally agree with the above comments. I think it’s the best price for performance combination.

Like everyone, of course I wanted to have a Cooper S, but my budget lead me to Cooper with DCT combination and honestly I don’t miss Cooper S that much :)

DCT is really smooth, and answers your driving perfectly. If it feels you want to have fun, directly shifts accordingly :) otherwise for casual driving it focuses on the efficiency.

I have 17inches rims, even though I love the look, I sometimes say 16 could be a better choice for the comfort. However mini was selling only 2 types of 16rims while selling around 8-9 types of 17s. Performance wise I am not sure if 16 and 17 would make that much of a difference.

I am currently in the break in period and it’s been only 1250 km so far. Currently it consumes 8 liter/100 km. Started with 10. Mainly city driving. I think it’s a bit high. However there are several factors, firstly still breaking in, and secondly even tho I don’t go above 4500rpm , I still consider my driving bit aggressive as Cooper really makes you do that :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, extremely good caveat there, thanks! I would also contend that there are many satisfied owners for the hundreds of thousands of models made and much depends on how well they are cared for and driven, too!

Would you also say that the DCT does not suffer from lag? Equally, is it fun to drive and what sort of consumption do you regularly get, on average?

Would you say that it is best to spec the Cooper with 16 inch alloys to get the best balance of performance, comfort, and fuel efficiency? I don't like their standard 15 inch ones, tbh, and think any higher puts a strain on suspension struts and fuel economy?
i'm extremely happy with the 7-dct gearbox. In standard mode it give you a really good balance between performance and consumption but it will not hesitate to go up to the limiter when you bottom out the throttle pedal. In sport mode it is considerably faster (you can feel the kick in each gear change) and will keep the RPM's mich higher.

IMHO, DCT - Cooper - 16in is a really well balanced combo.

ps. it also travels super smooth and quiet on highways! 140km/h on 2500rpm, i really enjoying traveling. Under these circumstances i managed an avg fuel consumption of ~6lt/100km

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm extremely happy with the 7-dct gearbox. In standard mode it give you a really good balance between performance and consumption but it will not hesitate to go up to the limiter when you bottom out the throttle pedal. In sport mode it is considerably faster (you can feel the kick in each gear change) and will keep the RPM's mich higher.

ps. it also travels super smooth and quiet in highways! 140km/h on 2500rpm, i really enjoying traveling. View attachment 73045

View attachment 73044
THANKS SOOOO MUCH for this lovely series of answers which help me enormously!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

ps. it also travels super smooth and quiet on highways! 140km/h on 2500rpm, i really enjoying traveling. Under these circumstances i managed an avg fuel consumption of ~6lt/100km
View attachment 73045

View attachment 73044
Totally agree with @sfortis! 16 inc rim with Cooper and DCT is the perfect balance of comfort and performance.
1.5 engine is surprisingly good for highway speeds as well. Hope you will love it as well.
Wow, this is rapidly turning into a chorus of approval for what was just my hunch based on evidence and anecdotes!

Thanks so much..

Am longing for the test drive at the end of the month!

Will keep you posted

·
Registered
57 Posts
One thing I can suggest strongly that if you will get a second hand, try to find a Cooper with driving modes, or buying new then definitely get the driving modes. The sport mode changes the throttle response from 50% to 75% and the car reacts really well! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
One thing I can suggest strongly that if you will get a second hand, try to find a Cooper with driving modes, or buying new then definitely get the driving modes. The sport mode changes the throttle response from 50% to 75% and the car reacts really well! :)
a comment on this:
pulling the gearbox to sport mode, it will also adjust the throttle mapping and will make it more responsive. it will NOT adjust the steering wheel and active suspensions (if there are any). For the latter you need the sport modes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Interesting as I thought the sport mode in the transmission only affects the gear change and holds the gear more. Didn’t know that it also affects the throttle response. Maybe that’s the feeling due to high gears ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Interesting as I thought the sport mode in the transmission only affects the gear change and holds the gear more. Didn’t know that it also affects the throttle response. Maybe that’s the feeling due to high gears ?
i'm pretty sure that throttle response is also tighter. Some reviews are also noting this.

·
Registered
2020 Mini Cooper S Sport Auto
161 Posts
Is there sports transmission on the Cooper DCT? If there was why did I go for a Cooper S???

I loved my 1.5 Cooper (it was a manual on 17inch rims). Good motorway performance and good round town as well. Easily the most fun car I have had and I loved the noise of the 3 cylinder. Driving modes really bring out the character when it’s in Sport.
I’ve got an S with auto gearbox and driving modes and whilst I love it for its own reasons, I wouldn’t hesitate to have another Cooper. The S just makes me drive like an absolute idiot.
I loved the Cooper for the fun driving and it not making me want to drive like an absolute yob for 99% of the time. Great car and I miss it dearly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is there sports transmission on the Cooper DCT? If there was why did I go for a Cooper S???

I loved my 1.5 Cooper (it was a manual on 17inch rims). Good motorway performance and good round town as well. Easily the most fun car I have had and I loved the noise of the 3 cylinder. Driving modes really bring out the character when it’s in Sport.
I’ve got an S with auto gearbox and driving modes and whilst I love it for its own reasons, I wouldn’t hesitate to have another Cooper. The S just makes me drive like an absolute idiot.
I loved the Cooper for the fun driving and it not making me want to drive like an absolute yob for 99% of the time. Great car and I miss it dearly.
yeap! Cooper and Cooper S sharing the same 7 speed gearbox (Getrag 7DCT300) which is capable to handle up to 300nm of torque. JCW and GP 8 speed is torque converter.

...but why you're telling this? i assume that Cooper S due to +50hp offers a little more joy over to Cooper :) 3cyl engine noise i pretty good though...it sounds like a mini-chopped-v6 :p

1 - 20 of 43 Posts