Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MCS is now 15 months old with 13,000 on the clock and just been for its first service. Apparently:

The rear brake pads are shot and need replacing despite living a very genteel life and

The engine needs replacing due to the well known bearing issue,

As you may be able to tell I am not happy and thinking of rejecting the car as it was badly faulty from day 1 and the brake wear is riduculous too. Anyone else had these problems (Dealer said terrible brake wear is normal) and rejected the car?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Cooper. It went in for its first service at 19,000 miles and I reported a noise from the rear. Turned out the rear brake pads had worn through and scored the discs. The labour and discs were covered under warrantee but they wanted me to pay £110 for new pads. I objected and they reduced this to £55, but I don't understand why the rears wore out before the fronts. Someone on here said it maybe because the stability control has been braking individual wheels at the back, but I don't exactly drive it like I stole it! Also, why did the wear indicators not signal a problem on the dash.....?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I think regarding the brakes the most concerning thing was that it was viewed as normal - essentially that you should have to replace you brake pads annually (assuming 12k is annual mileage).

My previous 5 year old TT had 50k on the clock and original pads.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point but I rarely use the CC the level of wear is baffling tbh. Very dissapointed that a premier brand should have extremely weak brake pads and need a completely new engine.

As I understand it you have a case to reject if the goods are mechanically defective - the engine at least clearly was/is I am also suspicious that BMW knew of this issue a year ago but no attempt was made to inform me....or anyone else!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ok, I am with you on the engine bit, after all thats the reason why my car was exchanged. I sort of understand your comments about pads, but pads for me are a consumable, OK a road car should get to the service interval without problem so its not good, but they are only pads. I have a theory its by design so Mini can sell more uprated TLC packages.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I think regarding the brakes the most concerning thing was that it was viewed as normal - essentially that you should have to replace you brake pads annually (assuming 12k is annual mileage).

My previous 5 year old TT had 50k on the clock and original pads.....
Really?? Never had a car that required the pad change so often. My previous daily beater, which was sold upon delivery of my Mini, had 170,000 miles on the clock and I had the brake pads and discs replaced only once. It had a 5spd MT though. If I were to replace my pads annually, I should get the extended maintenance program.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which is my point! The pads should last a minimum 30000+ and no other car I have owned (and there have been many!) has failed to achievve at least this level of performance.

I have tlc - it doesnt include brake pads as they are a consumable - which is understandable tbh

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The break pad issue does sound rather pathetic and I know from an ex of mine who had a BMW 3 series, it went in for its 30,000 miles service with the break light on saying they needed attention. The first BMW garage told him he needed new break pads and disks all around... After 30,000 miles of motorway cruising from Manchester to Chester.. I don't think so! Anyway he threw his toys out the pram, they got it up on the ramp so we could see it and the technician said its worn down to the break pad sensor and you've probably got another 10,000 miles in the pads themselves and your disks don't actually need replacing. They are simply trying to get pointless money out of you, ask them to show you and get it on a ramp and take the wheels off!

In regards to it being unfit for purpose, ask your dealership service guy to print out all the things that need to be replaced and print out all the times you've been in to their dealership for the most pettiest of things. Once you have all that information email "[email protected]" and tell them you're not happy and say you would like a replacement vehicle as you don't believe its fit for purpose or under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act is it representational of the brand nor what you thought you were buying. Copy your dealer and Watchdog in to the email, you'll get a fast reply trust me I did it last year.

·
Registered
2022 F60 Cooper S in Sage Green
492 Posts
Really?? Never had a car that required the pad change so often. My previous daily beater, which was sold upon delivery of my Mini, had 170,000 miles on the clock and I had the brake pads and discs replaced only once. It had a 5spd MT though. If I were to replace my pads annually, I should get the extended maintenance program.
Seems a high turnaround for Mini. My 2006 CTS was traded in for the 2015 Cooper and it had 163,000 miles. Only changed pads once (and they needed to be changed again when it was traded in).

Also, the maintenance warranty covers pads and discs at 30,000 miles and then again at 60,000 (90,000 etc..) so I'm not sure where 12,000 is coming from.

miniusa.com/content/dam/miniusa/PDF/Aftersales/MINI_Maintenance_Program_Brochure_Dec2014.pdf

Will they change them for free if you aren't even at the mileage intervals?

·
Registered
844 Posts
My car gets its first service next week at 23k miles!
I expect the pads to be fine. I have had 5 MINIs all with more miles than this (up to 35k) and none has ever needed any pads or discs.
If they suggest they need changed, I will thank them for their advice and take it to a trusted local place as it will cost about a third of their price.
It is possible that the material on new rear pads is much thinner. I remember this being the case on my mate's Peugeot.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My car gets its first service next week at 23k miles!
I expect the pads to be fine. I have had 5 MINIs all with more miles than this (up to 35k) and none has ever needed any pads or discs.
If they suggest they need changed, I will thank them for their advice and take it to a trusted local place as it will cost about a third of their price.
It is possible that the material on new rear pads is much thinner. I remember this being the case on my mate's Peugeot.
It would be interesting to hear of how your pads have worn, or not, if any feedback is given by the service crew.

My first service is in May. When I take the winter tyres off I will check the pad wear then. The rear pads are thinner than the fronts when new, which can give the impression they have worn more quickly.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ths thread is very interesting! I had my rear discs/pads replaced at ~6000 due to pitting, under warranty as my service manager said they shouldn't be in that state after so few miles. Now done 8000 on the new set and they're now scraping!
I had rear shocks replaced at 6000 miles. ...they ad been knocking from new....and I'm 99.9% sure they're goosed again.
I reported the faulty seals/door frame paint issues 12months ago.....still waiting for a resolution.
I've had crankshaft bearings replaced.
Gear selector (cone tower?) Replaced as it kept jumping out of first.
Oil filter housing replaced.

My MCS has 14K on the clock and 06/2014 registered.

My dealer has been brilliant but I'm just tired of having a car that's NEVER been fault free. This is an executive marque for gawds sake....my previous four Peugeots over 14 had less recalls/warranty work that I can count on one hand......

I need to take this forward but i just don't know how or if i can take the hassle.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I wonder if they are still selling F56 Minis with the awful abrasive door seals, and if not are the new ones any better?
Perhaps they are just sticking on bits of clear body wrap as an easy fix.

In fact are new MCS Minis now clear of these problems that beset the early cars, or are there still quality control issues?

If this premature rear brake pad wear is not a rare occurrence but the norm, then that is yet another unsatisfactory issue to be dealt with.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Ths thread is very interesting! I had my rear discs/pads replaced at ~6000 due to pitting, under warranty as my service manager said they shouldn't be in that state after so few miles. Now done 8000 on the new set and they're now scraping!
I had rear shocks replaced at 6000 miles. ...they ad been knocking from new....and I'm 99.9% sure they're goosed again.
I reported the faulty seals/door frame paint issues 12months ago.....still waiting for a resolution.
I've had crankshaft bearings replaced.
Gear selector (cone tower?) Replaced as it kept jumping out of first.
Oil filter housing replaced.

My MCS has 14K on the clock and 06/2014 registered.

My dealer has been brilliant but I'm just tired of having a car that's NEVER been fault free. This is an executive marque for gawds sake....my previous four Peugeots over 14 had less recalls/warranty work that I can count on one hand......

I need to take this forward but i just don't know how or if i can take the hassle.
My dealer told me that there currently isn't a resolution from MINI UK for the rubbing seals, to which I replied "so does this mean I'll be back in again in a few months for the same job?" he said more than likely. They replaced my seals and buffed the paintwork to remove the scratches on my previous F56 Cooper D.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.