1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Think I'm going forge, it's got the best numbers and they have a good reputation, airtech are releasing one soon though so waiting to see what that looks like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
Before we try and find-which one is best

Do we need upgraded intercoolers ?
Will the S need more help than a JCW
How about the SD

Where is the data
What are the performance gains
When will the ecu retard timing,

Im Always tempted by the shiny stuff....but you have to ask questions first

·
Registered
170 Posts
Before we try and find-which one is best

Do we need upgraded intercoolers ?
Will the S need more help than a JCW
How about the SD

Where is the data
What are the performance gains
When will the ecu retard timing,

Im Always tempted by the shiny stuff....but you have to ask questions first

You can't have enough cool air coming into your engine, especially turbo engines. In my experience putting an aftermarket intercooler with a bigger capacity has given me between 6 and 12 bhp increase, also if your tuning your car it's almost a must have as the engine needs the extra to deal with the power

·
Registered
378 Posts
You can't have enough cool air coming into your engine, especially turbo engines. In my experience putting an aftermarket intercooler with a bigger capacity has given me between 6 and 12 bhp increase, also if your tuning your car it's almost a must have as the engine needs the extra to deal with the power

I don't doubt it's a far better upgrade than a cai ;)

Just too little public info available to make any comparision,
I'd love to tick every box,

Valved Exhaust
Manifold or cat less or dpf delete
Intercooler
LSD
Rear arb
Coilovers
More front camber
Tune

That's before looking at more extream stuff, like headwork, cams, methanol injection, corner weighting

I've let go a perfect owned from new nearly 300bhp r53 to help pay for the F56,
So see no point in spending more than I let that car go for

to get only half way towards the car I recently had :confused:

And my new car has already depreciated more than I sold the old one for

Already ticked, wheels, tyres, brakes, looks, I think I've got a 1k-ish budget left

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you want more bhp go for a burger tuning JB4 and a valve exhaust with a decat, my f56 is up to 296bhp with just those mods, makes a huge difference

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you want more bhp go for a burger tuning JB4 and a valve exhaust with a decat, my f56 is up to 296bhp with just those mods, makes a huge difference

I don't think they do diesel, >:D

Although I did pose the question in a more open way to cover all F55/56

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ah, sorry, my bad, need to read posts better rather than just scanning them, I would speak to a good tuning company and see what they recommend, I do all my work on the car (parts and tuning) at the performance centre in Sunderland UK, they would help you out and can recommend which way you could go

·
Registered
213 Posts
Agree with Blue al, you need to know all the details e.g the baseline as the standard intercool might be pretty efficient at the current and mapped boost levels that are available today. You also need to factor in your climate and normal temps in that baseline. Not taking anything away from the obvious science of colder air + power etc, but depending on where you are, how efficient the standard intercooler is etc then it might give a few degrees temp drop but for very little power gain (at great cost of the intercool + fitting), and im talking about multiple full throttle pulls not just a single dyno pull when everything is nice and cold so it looks better :) it needs to show consistent temp drops e.g. no heat soak over the standard unit.

But im in the SD cround anyways so totally non bias opinion :)

But if it does then rock and roll! but no data = no answer

·
Registered
170 Posts
Agree with Blue al, you need to know all the details e.g the baseline as the standard intercool might be pretty efficient at the current and mapped boost levels that are available today. You also need to factor in your climate and normal temps in that baseline. Not taking anything away from the obvious science of colder air + power etc, but depending on where you are, how efficient the standard intercooler is etc then it might give a few degrees temp drop but for very little power gain (at great cost of the intercool + fitting), and im talking about multiple full throttle pulls not just a single dyno pull when everything is nice and cold so it looks better :) it needs to show consistent temp drops e.g. no heat soak over the standard unit.

But im in the SD cround anyways so totally non bias opinion :)

But if it does then rock and roll! but no data = no answer

Totally agree, the standard intercooler is quite good I think, when testing my car they did about 7 runs and normally the power would of dropped off but kept up there with the first one

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Anyone that monitors with a scan gauge 2 or similar device sees the vitals of everyday driving. Intake air temps vary based on the ambient temperature. I have a good baseline using data from 17 months driving mt 2014 F56. There's no difference with my 2016 so far. With both cars I have used BMS tuners , stock intake and the VIP unit.

I haven't taken the plunge for an exhaust, the JCW pro is not worth the investment to me (my opinion) I'm not trying to start a war. I would prefer a traditional exhaust, still researching that one.

borrowed from NAM:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lk-2014/299530-introducing-the-helix-ddc.html

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's some more information on our development process.

Today I'd like to talk about the development of this specific intercooler and more on why we developed the DDC.

We actually are on our version 2 of the F56s intercooler. We designed, modeled and prototyped our first version last summer. The design was based upon what had worked in our past coolers, with improvements in end tank design. Here's a redacted PDF of version 1:

Once we installed the prototype in the test car, we were a little disappointed with the results. They were an improvement over stock, especially in higher boost conditions, repeated use and at high RPM, but not the dramatic improvements that we had seen in the R series MINIs. Part of that was due to the bigger stock core, but a big part of it was due to an inherent design limitation: our fin density through the core was too tight, dropping pressure between the ferrules more than we wanted. This is very difficult to measure utilizing OBD-based datalogging software, since the factory engine control management operates using what are called torque targets. The DME (the engine's brain) asks for certain levels of boost, based upon the condtions. When you are in sport mode, at wide open throttle (giving it the ol' stick!), the DME asks the turbocharger (By controlling the wastegate) for as mush boost as possible until it reaches a pressure threshold. Then it starts bleeding boost to maintain the target pressure. If you have an intercooler that is very thermally efficient (drops temps well) but also creates a larger pressure drop from end tank to end tank, the DME has to keep the turbo on the roil for longer. Spool up is slower, meaning that your initial burst of torque is slower to happen after you stomp on it, and you're working the turbo harder. Here are some of the data we collected on our version 1 cooler.

These two third-gear pulls were done on subsequent days. The first day was the stock cooler, the second day, our prototype. Weather conditions weren't perfectly consistent, unfortunately. The second day was several degrees higher with 30% more humidity. As you can see the boost levels are pretty consistent, but if you saw the wastegate duty cycle numbers (not shown on this graph) the turbo was working harder with the prototype, which raised the intercooler inlet temperature). Both pulls were the first of a series of 4, so this graph represents the least heat soaked runs. The prototype's greater thermal mass and increased frontal area kept it consistent run-to-run.

So what we had was a cooler that performed well enough, but didn't solve the problem of pressure drop. Back to the drawing board it was. We came up with two tricks to increase efficiency through the core: end tank design, and fin density. To be continued in a later post..

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I put down a deposit on one of the Helix units today. I've been waiting since late last summer for them to release the new one. I bought one of their newly designed R56 units last year and was impressed with the quality of the workmanship. Sadly I didn't have a chance to install it because i bought my F56 two weeks after the intercooler arrived. I don't think you can go wrong with the deal Eric is offering for preorders. I know I couldn't pass it up. I'm running the JCW Pro tuning kit with the NM power module. The higher the boost level, the higher the intake temp is gonna be. This unit will help me now, and when my warranty runs out it will be a must have for a good ECU tune. As always... YMMV.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am running the Forge. I will come back and post pictures when I can. Absolutely love it. No pressure drop, no heat soak, and you can really feel the difference with subsequent pulls. One of the funny issues I'm running into is that it runs so cool I tend to be under the 160 mark for the JB4 Stage 2 to run and have to do a couple of quick pulls to get to temp haha.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts