Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another Budget Mod that has been done today to my Mini. I went to my local Muffler Shop and improved the sound and flow on the little 3 Cylinder.

Here is what has been done to it.

1) Cut the Beer Can Muffler out and replaced it with a Magna Flow muffler model number 11225.

2) cut the stock muffler off and replaced it with a 4 inch pipe welded a Magna flow double sided chrome tip back on.

3) He did not have to install a new pipe from the front to the rear since it got a 4 inch pipe from the factory just welded the parts in.

4) drove it made sure no engine light would come on paid the men and took it for a spin on the Highway.

The whole install including parts and labor was $ 220.00 :)

No engine light came on it is a nice clean install it looks almost factory and it got a pleasant deep growl to it and it does not drone you out on the Highway. The pick up at low RPM improved the car feels more alive and the chrome tip looks almost factory The square Magna Flow Muffler fits in perfect without any problems. I am very happy with another Budget Mod on my Mini.:)

If anybody from the Phoenix Area wants the name of the shop please PM me.;)

Here are the pictures (pics are taken from the rear to the front)

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dan, I will as soon as I can figure out how to transfer the video from the smart phone to the site. :|

·
Registered
148 Posts
Another Budget Mod that has been done today to my Mini. I went to my local Muffler Shop and improved the sound and flow on the little 3 Cylinder.
That looks SUPERB mate! To my (untrained) eye, it looks like an off-the-shelf performance system. I'd never have picked it as a "Macgyver build".

DJ

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
That looks great Karl! Well done!

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it is a tight fit but no still about 3/4 of an inch on the top for the heat to escape. I am not too worried I got Gap insurance.:D:D

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Well done, who says you need to spend a fortune. Sure you probably dont gain the extra 2 or 3hp buying the big brand exhausts and really who cares, its not a race car.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really was not worried about gaining more HP or have it sound like a V8. I just wanted to get less restriction that the stock muffler has get a bit of a deeper sound and give it a little kick. Sure worked out pretty good for the money.

·
Registered
320 Posts
That looks ace, nice one! Love to hear what it sounds like at full chat :)

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sootyvrs, I just have to get my NM lowering springs in and than I have to see if something else might come along. I really do not plan on anything else for the moment. I like mods that are tasteful improve the car a little and do not kill my budget. I missed out on a brand new set of 17 OEM Wheels for a $150.00 here in town the other day. I never liked it when a modded car looks like a carnival ride.:D:D

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Andy, I am working on it. I hope I have it done by this weekend since I am in and out because of work and I have to talk one of teen girls into it to make another one from there phone and send it to my Email since I am too old and dumb to figure this whole smart phone post on forum site thing out. I did not forget you guys and girls.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay Guys and Girls I could not upload my Video of the Budget Exhaust to the forum so I found this Megna Flow Video on Vimeo and my car sounds extremely close to the one in the Video. Sure it will not please everybody,s ear but I am happy with my "Beer Budget Exhaust" They even show the same end I use on my Mini keep in mind I have a single end. :):)

https://vimeo.com/178913693

·
Registered
43 Posts
The exhaust sounds good in the video you linked:)

I'm surprised that yours sounds similar though, give your car has three cylinders and the Cooper S (in the video) has four? I've always found cars with three cylinders have a very different exhaust tone to those with four:)

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
York you are correct what you saying. My 3 Banger sounds similar it got the deep sound when you rev it almost like the 4 Cylinder under load. What I barely do not get is the pops and crackle when you step off the pedal. That also is true with the installed intake it sounds a bit different on the 4 than 3 Cylinder.

My focus was to improve the sound and give the engine more flow for better pick up (breath freely) since the stock exhaust is so restricted and make it sound nicer/deeper without spending tons of $$$$ on a custom exhaust. That worked out so far.:)

I took some videos on my Samsung S6 and it sounds worse than the real thing. I am still working on it stay tuned.;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts