Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen these and think they look like a good upgrade for the rear - what are peoples thoughts on them?

http://www.blues-garage.com/search.php?m&mc=2&sc=24&search&x=66&y=16&id=278

I have ordered the F56 JCW brake upgrade kit which comes with the 335x30mm drilled & slotted discs and also the JCW / Brembo 4 piston front brakes along with new chilli red rear callipers which use the same discs as currently fitted to the car.

I really want to upgrade the rear discs to a larger size as its disappointing MINI haven't increased them. I think these would look cool in conjunction with the new red calipers!

·
Super Moderator
8,024 Posts
Lot of money just for looks . Rear discs don't do much, most is done by the fronts so there won't be much of a performance gain.I personally would nth bother unless you're doing endless track days or racing?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it would affect the brake bias as the swept area looks to be the same size as OEM - hence the large disc bells.

I'm fully aware that they would offer little to no performance in braking, but its for looks really.

335x30mm upfront and a piddly 260mm on the rear might look a little odd I fear :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Applying the same force (between the pads and disk) further out from the rotational center will generate more brake momentum because of the bigger leverage.

Since you are changing in the front as well, this might not be an issue though.

·
Super Moderator
8,024 Posts
I would've thought the abs would sort that there are sensors on each wheel that ensure even braking force.shouldn't be a problem?

·
Registered
478 Posts
So when you brake hard, the weight is transferred to the front, which means the front wheels have extra grip, meaning they do the most of the braking. The rear wheel have the weigh reduced mean they can't do as much braking as the front.

When you push the brakes to hard for the level of grip on a wheel it locks, and the ABS kicks in. When the ABS kicks in the amount of braking force is reduced. However for most drivers (including me) who lack the ability to back off the brakes in an emergency, ABS reduces the real world braking distance, but a race driver would actually brake faster without ABS.

Fitting bigger discs at the rear without addressing the front / rear bias, will mean the unloaded rear wheel will lock earlier than it would have done with the standard setup, and hence the ABS will kick in earlier. So its possible it could lengthen braking distance in the real world.

It is true the ABS would prevent the undesired instability with having a incorrect brake bias, but this doesn't mean it a good mod.

I have a Caterham 7 which doesn't have ABS, and on track the brake bias makes a big difference in the confidence in the car under braking (always hard). Even down to the material being used in the pad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts