Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW USA has issued a recall in USA for 'certain' Coopers whose spacesaver spare tyre holder can come undone, allowing the spare tyre to fall out:

MINI Cooper Hardtop vehicles from 2014, Recalled for the spare wheel which may separate from the vehicle while driving.

Presumably that will affect UK owners at some point - though VOSA do not show any recall at the moment.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Already been mentioned on here. I have the spare but no work as to whether I need this or not.

Is there a certain time frame for car builds I wonder?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I actually contacted my dealer after reading about it on here and got the reply "Oh yes, your car is on the list", but they had done nothing about contacting me.

It was done 2 days later.

I don't know why they couldn't be bothered to get in contact, I would have thought recalls have a certain urgency about them.

·
Registered
890 Posts
PS: under the little tool tray in the recess in the floor of the luggage area is a vertical threaded rod which holds up the spare wheel tray which is under the car.
The nut which retains this rod and stops it falling downwards, originally was a plain, non-self locking nut.

This nut is replaced in the recall with a nyloc type self locking nut.

Cars with a plain, non self locking nut will need to have it changed.

If a self locking nut is already fitted, I would think the recall does not apply.

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
Don't suppose it's very likely to fail. Just a precaution

·
Registered
966 Posts
I got this done a few weeks ago, was expecting more than just a nut, but gave me time to order the winter wheels.

Now thinking about it, if I do have the misfortune to even need to use the spare, will I have to get another nut? I always thought nyloc work properly 1st time on, but feel free to correct me on that.:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got this done a few weeks ago, was expecting more than just a nut, but gave me time to order the winter wheels.

Now thinking about it, if I do have the misfortune to even need to use the spare, will I have to get another nut? I always thought nyloc work properly 1st time on, but feel free to correct me on that.:D
Nyloc nuts are a one trip nut, as the security is in the cutting of the thread into the plastic when first fitting, after being undone and reused the nut has lost a fair percentage of its grip and so acts as a standard nut which is dependant on its tightness.

No doubt Mini will now charge an exorbitant amount for a replacement. :(

They would have been better putting a hole through the shaft above the nut and fitting a spring clip through it, but that would have involved engineering skills!:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts