Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, collecting the beast on Monday and thinking ahead regarding music etc. I've found a 32GB stick for just under £9 delivered and thinking of loading my music on that.

I do have 20GB available Hard Drive but not sure about how easy it is to update - especially when you get close to filling the 20gb!

I don't want to go 64 or 128 as I'd imagine it would take so long to see all the music I'd be in work before it plays anything!

Any thoughts on this please? I'd like to order tonight to make sure it arrives or tomorrow!

·
Registered
184 Posts
32Gb is a lot of music, it's 8000 songs! I would say that is plenty, unless you drive 500 miles every day.

£9 is a no brainer. Do it.

I find with DAB radio you can find a station that just plays the music you like. As there is so many stations. I find I only ever listen to the radio since I had a DAB radio.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I'd thoroughly recommend the Kingston Micro USB 2.0 DataTraveler, as it's physically very small and has no lights.

I bought the 64Gb version here:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C6GLF78[/ame]

Oli

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would add music at a higher bit rate so that the quality is better; using this approach you won't fit 8,000 songs but you will still fit many, many hundreds. Do think about the quality of the music file as even the standard system will show up issues with poorer quality tracks. The on board HDD actually updates very quickly if you want to transfer music into the car; alternatively with a full 32Gb stick you shouldn't need to wait for any indexing when you start the car. Good luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got a Sandisk 16gb Cruzer Fit which is big enough for my needs, for less than £6 through Amazon, it's very tiny like the one mentioned and you can't see it. It's actually supplied by Amazon as some can be fake copies supplied by third parties.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got the sandisk cruz micro it's very tiny and once plugged in you can't see it. It's great and since in my car I've left it there as looks part of car so some nasty tow rag won't smash the window to get it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would add music at a higher bit rate so that the quality is better; using this approach you won't fit 8,000 songs but you will still fit many, many hundreds.
This relys on the source of the music, and the quality of the rip from the CD. Some people can't even tell the difference from tape to CD.

Back in the days of CD changers, some people had 10 discs, and some were never played. 10 discs with 20 songs is 200 tracks. Which seems to be more than enough.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I generally have 256 as a minimum for my music. I work in audio so I can tell between quality but I'm more than happy with this. Would never do 128!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
I bought a 32 gig usb for my r56 mcs and got fed up searching for albums so divided up into folders first ie a to g then h to p Tec.and put the albums in respective folders. much easier then to find the artist you want in the folders j

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was reading how to have it play random from a memory stick last night, can't wait to try it out!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was reading how to have it play random from a memory stick last night, can't wait to try it out!!
Can you let is in on how you're getting it to play random?! Would love to know!!

I noticed is that the onboard music player / USB reader doesn't have a shuffle mode. Unless I missed it.

:) Cheers!

·
Registered
998 Posts
it has a random option - somewhere, can't remember where in the menu's i saw it now.

it also has a menu option for 'playlists' - anyone work out how this works yet?

·
Registered
53 Posts
They seem to hide some useful stuff away in the options... it's caught a few people out.
Yep, the option was right where you said it was :) Also, I found the import/export feature so I do have the HDD as well. Transferred songs over from flash drive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Having looked at USB drives, I note that some are 2.0 and some are 3.0 which supposedly is quicker. Does anyone know if the Mini can handle the 3.0 version or shall I hedge my bets and buy a 2.0 one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 32 gb stick worked with 320 kph mp3s fine. But the whole USB interface itself C R A S E D ! ! ! ...greyed out ...when I tried to play one 2116 kps wav lossless file of about 50 mb in size. ****. Now I need to reset head unit but don't know how. Will battery disconnect solve it? How can I try that? I've eliminated all other USB stick, iPod , etc. functions. It has to be head unit or bad port. It was the lossless wav file at 2116 kps that crashed the USB. I Eliminated factors of drive size, number of folders, disk format and number of files. The USB port is dead, I.e., greyed out. The analog min stereo in works fine. All suggestions and theories for my dead USB issue are welcome. miniusa was no help.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My 32 gb stick worked with 320 kph mp3s fine. But the whole USB interface itself C R A S E D ! ! ! ...greyed out ...when I tried to play one 2116 kps wav lossless file of about 50 mb in size. ****. Now I need to reset head unit but don't know how. Will battery disconnect solve it? How can I try that? I've eliminated all other USB stick, iPod , etc. functions. It has to be head unit or bad port. It was the lossless wav file at 2116 kps that crashed the USB. I Eliminated factors of drive size, number of folders, disk format and number of files. The USB port is dead, I.e., greyed out. The analog min stereo in works fine. All suggestions and theories for my dead USB issue are welcome. miniusa was no help.
The important thing is you've done nothing that the system shouldn't cope with - ie. it's been set up so you can copy files over. If it's still not working after a few attempts call the dealer, say the system has stopped working. Feign ignorance - just say you were copying music files over which is what you're supposed to do and let them sort it for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Having looked at USB drives, I note that some are 2.0 and some are 3.0 which supposedly is quicker. Does anyone know if the Mini can handle the 3.0 version or shall I hedge my bets and buy a 2.0 one?
MINI is USB 2.0.

You can use USB 3.0, but it'll only benefit you when copying music from your computer to the flash drive or reading it back from the flash drive on your computer.

Get a Sandisk Cruiser Fit USB 2.0. 16GB costs only $8 on Amazon. There is a USB 3.0 version for just a little more, but I read reviews complaining about the USB flash drive heating up pretty good.

This USB drive is the tiniest I've seen, and still properly built with full USB insert (the half size naked USB ports are prone to damage).

I got the 16GB, and have plenty songs in it. Each album in their own folder. I also created M3U playlist for each folder so it's easier in the car. I don't really listen to music that much so I rarely update the songs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts