Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced any problems or faults related to the camshafts / vanos on the B38 3 cylinder engine? My car (a 2014 1.5 petrol Cooper) is currently at the dealers with what has been diagnosed as a failed bearing on the camshaft / vanos hub. The car has only done 33,000 miles so a bit worrying that it should have this fault, especially given that it’s been serviced at the recommended intervals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes!

2014 F56 Cooper with 60k on the clock.

No warning, car went into limp mode with yellow drive train failure ⚠ warning.

Best news is a circlip is missing, if it can’t be found, new engine required ??

Quote is over 8k

Fingers crossed

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just thought that I would mention that I had a similar failure on my F56 Mini One with less than 35,000 miles on the clock. The diagnosis was that the gauze within the vanos gear has disintegrated, causing blockages and therefore preventing the vanos from correctly adjusting. The car was misfiring like mad and was practically undrivable. Would have cost me £2000+ however MINI payed 75% out of good will due to full MINI service history. I traded it in not long after for an LCI Cooper S, as I lost faith in the 3 cylinder engine. Shame to hear other people are having problems too :(

·
Read Only
0 Posts
The 3 and 4 cylinder engines are pretty much the same apart from an extra cylinder in the 4 and a balance shaft in the 3 because of the odd number of pistons. There are a lot of shared components. Hopefully with LCI they have resolved the issue at source so I expect you would be OK.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes!

2014 F56 Cooper with 60k on the clock.

No warning, car went into limp mode with yellow drive train failure ⚠ warning.

Best news is a circlip is missing, if it can’t be found, new engine required ??

Quote is over 8k

Fingers crossed
My sons has a 2015 F56, with 19 codes, all cylinders misfiring, Exhaust Vanos jammed, Not controllable, Fully retarded position (like 70 degrees fully retarded according to the diagnostics), and a number of codes for damaging exhaust gasses. The garage was wanting $2k just to troubleshoot, but we decided to look at it ourselves. Noticed the Exhaust Vanos Actuator was missing the circlip and that allows the inner spool (Black Plastic piece) to push out a few millimeters and oil can then be directed to the incorrect ports. Diagnosed that by watching the cam position. it would be normal when the car started up, but as oil pressure built up it would go to the fully retarded position.
Called a few Mini Dealers, but they didn't know anything about it and said the whole Vanos Actuator would be replaced $480, plus 9 hours of labour. DIY looked like $600 in tooling and dismantling the top of the engine. I figured we would try replacing the clip first.
I did some research and found the part number - it's actually a K-clip (JK-16 or D2000-0160). There were none in Canada so i found a specialty fastener place that could order them in. I now have 98 spares.
We replaced it, got rid of most of the codes except Cylinder #1 has an occasional misfire under load - suspecting sparkplug, coil or injector. It also occasionally flashes Exhaust Vanos jammed, but it is in the 20 degrees position now and moves around a bit. The solenoid is also a failure point, but couldn't swap them around when the k-clip was missing.

I have 98 spare clips if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My sons has a 2015 F56, with 19 codes, all cylinders misfiring, Exhaust Vanos jammed, Not controllable, Fully retarded position (like 70 degrees fully retarded according to the diagnostics), and a number of codes for damaging exhaust gasses. The garage was wanting $2k just to troubleshoot, but we decided to look at it ourselves. Noticed the Exhaust Vanos Actuator was missing the circlip and that allows the inner spool (Black Plastic piece) to push out a few millimeters and oil can then be directed to the incorrect ports. Diagnosed that by watching the cam position. it would be normal when the car started up, but as oil pressure built up it would go to the fully retarded position.
Called a few Mini Dealers, but they didn't know anything about it and said the whole Vanos Actuator would be replaced $480, plus 9 hours of labour. DIY looked like $600 in tooling and dismantling the top of the engine. I figured we would try replacing the clip first.
I did some research and found the part number - it's actually a K-clip (JK-16 or D2000-0160). There were none in Canada so i found a specialty fastener place that could order them in. I now have 98 spares.
We replaced it, got rid of most of the codes except Cylinder #1 has an occasional misfire under load - suspecting sparkplug, coil or injector. It also occasionally flashes Exhaust Vanos jammed, but it is in the 20 degrees position now and moves around a bit. The solenoid is also a failure point, but couldn't swap them around when the k-clip was missing.

hello , my mini shows the same warning, my local garage said it it missing that clip that you mentioned , but I have troble finding it in the uk. would you be able to help? thanks, ****

·
Registered
6 Posts
hello , my mini shows the same warning, my local garage said it it missing that clip that you mentioned , but I have troble finding it in the uk. would you be able to help? thanks, ****
Hello ****, the clips were made by Anderton, apparently now called Cirteq Limited based in West Yorkshire, UK.
It could take a week or 2 if I were to ship from Canada but I could do that if you can't source them locally.
Let me know if you can't find ahyone that carries them.

Please, reset your VANOS Adaptation after they are replaced... I missed that crucial step./

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for your prompt reply. I think I have managed to find 6 clips in the UK. Hopefully they will arrive in a few days. Again, thanks for your time. ****

·
Registered
1 Posts

This was really useful thanks!

Mine also has the missing clip - did you have any trouble after fixing?

Was it easy to just replace the clip & how long did it take?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for your prompt reply. I think I have managed to find 6 clips in the UK. Hopefully they will arrive in a few days. Again, thanks for your time. ****

Hi has any one got one of these clips available to purchase i'm having trouble locating one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi **** yes in the uk. i tried that link but they have no stock
Hi, same happened to me. I phoned them up and they had a few available, so I asked for a couple and they were posted 1st class. Give them a ring, I'm sure they'll have a few left. They said that the reason for showing out of stock was because they had less than 50. Good luck, it saved me hundreds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone experienced any problems or faults related to the camshafts / vanos on the B38 3 cylinder engine? My car (a 2014 1.5 petrol Cooper) is currently at the dealers with what has been diagnosed as a failed bearing on the camshaft / vanos hub. The car has only done 33,000 miles so a bit worrying that it should have this fault, especially given that it’s been serviced at the recommended intervals.
Hi, my wife has a MINI ONE registered 2015, it has 30,000 miles on the clock. The car seems to be running fine, but recently a drive train fault came up. Took it to the local Mini dealership, a couple of faults showed up on the computor, but they couldn't find an actual fault, so the downloaded new software and sent me away £138 lighter. A couple of days later, the amber engine fault came on, I took it back to the dealership who have advised that it is a VANOS fault and that a circlip has fallen off and I need new crankshafts at a cost of £2,955.00. I have complained that the car has only done 30,000 miles and now it is virtually a write-off. MINI warranty have offered to fund 80% of the parts, but the repair still comes in at £1,328.00. I feel very agrieved at this.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts