Mini Cooper Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently received a MINI Cooper SE from work and installed the MINI app.
After adding my MINI in the app, everything seems to be working fine.
However, I can't seem to refresh my vehicle status. According to videos online, you simply have to drag the screen down to refresh, but for me the data only refreshes when I turn on my car, so it always shows the status from when I last drove it.
I can send commands to my MINI over the app and it reacts just fine, so there is a connection. How can I manually refresh my vehicle status when I'm not driving?

·
Premium Member
2021 BMW i3 - Red
748 Posts
The status can only be refreshed if there has actually been a change at the vehicle since it was last updated. In effect you are seeing the current state at all times. If a change happens at the car then the server is updated by the car and then you can get the update from the server. If there has been no change since the car sent it’s last update to the server then you see the last info the car sent to the server, usually the last time you locked it. It is working correctly just not as you expected.

·
Registered
2019 A94 F56 JCW AUTO
148 Posts
I was curious too that my app did not refresh every moment and thought the app was not working properly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The behavior of the App in what concerns updates whenever the car changes status, is a little bit odd.
And yes, it looks that something is only reported back to servers, when you lock the car (if something changed in between two lock operations) and when the car is charging.
Other things, like changes to the stated of charge, when preconditioning the car, are not reported back to the App. And really that's something one needs to take in consideration, as if one is low on state of charge in winter, it could make a difference on the range, therefore, if one can arrive to the next destination without charging.

·
Super Moderator
8,619 Posts
It does surely? It's not dynamic but you simply pull down on the app from the top of the screen and it refreshes and updates. I checked on my car which we granny charged last night every half hour or so.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It does surely? It's not dynamic but you simply pull down on the app from the top of the screen and it refreshes and updates. I checked on my car which we granny charged last night every half hour or so.
Yes, it does that during charging, even without pulling down the App from the top of the screen. Also, when you open the App, it will update automatically (most of the times) with the status of the Car, as from the last time it was closed. But up to know, I've not seen any status update in between (even by pulling down the App screen), if something changes (like for example state of charge, if one uses pre conditioning).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Strange… it is suggesting a connectivity issue between the car and internet. Suggest you check if your car has good signal to the mobile phone network and/ or your home WIFI. Example if your car is in an underground parking ther may not be sufficient signal so it will likely give the last update before losing the signal.

Mine updates when I pull down the screen or press ‘check status’. But I will also update if you change something eg remote lock / unlock ; sound horn; turn cooling on etc. Note you have to swipe down and HOLD for a few seconds. You will see a small turning circle. It takes a few seconds depending on the connection to the car.
Example: I was travelling in UK last week, and my wife was using the Mini at home in France. I could still get status updates (level of charge, locked / unlocked etc ) when I refreshed by swiping down. I could also lock/ unlock remotely even though there is 1000km between me and the car. You get a message ‘sending to Mini’ then ‘successfully sent’ and the status then updates

Sometimes it takes 2 attempts because our garage is in the basement with several inches of reinforced concrete ( so a Faraday cage) and the signal is a bit variable.

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
443 Posts
The "app" is a joke as far as I'm concerned.
The salesman insisted I installed it on my phone and I ended up having to create a PIN number. I used the same one as my bank card, probably not a great idea but at least I remember it.
But it doesn't work.
I just tried again this morning and it asks for my email address and password rather than a PIN number and tells me my email address is invalid even though it's the email address I used to create the PIN number in the first place...
I have (just now) un-installed it from my phone.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The "app" is a joke as far as I'm concerned.
The salesman insisted I installed it on my phone and I ended up having to create a PIN number. I used the same one as my bank card, probably not a great idea but at least I remember it.
But it doesn't work.
I just tried again this morning and it asks for my email address and password rather than a PIN number and tells me my email address is invalid even though it's the email address I used to create the PIN number in the first place...
I have (just now) un-installed it from my phone.
This happens with other Apps particularly if the network is weak when you set it up. It is so easy to mistype or miss a character and save it without knowing.

With the Mini App.
For me, after initial difficulties because of poor mobile network at the garage, it has worked from day 1 flawlessly. I use the biometrics fingerprint on the IPhone to unlock so don’t need the PIN. Also compared to my wife’s VW Connect App for her car the Mini is a dream

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think this is really clever! Why use power and network when nothing is changed regarding car status!? If I have any complaint it's about the app sometimes don't start the preconditioning. I don't know if that's due to network coverage or something else.

·
Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
219 Posts
Mine works fine, but if I do a 'pull-down' refresh it still shows the status from the last time anything changed - in my case I just refreshed it and it says "Updated from vehicle 23/06/2022 08:43" - this is the last time the vehicle was locked and it wasn't plugged in to charge. The various 'send to car' options always work fine (preconditioning, sat nav destinations etc).

·
Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
219 Posts
And this morning I just tried again - the difference is that it is currently plugged in and charging - this time it gives a live update at the time I opened or refreshed the app.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts