Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer had a special event on today and I popped in to see what was going on. As usual, got greeted my a coffee, and nice hello and an introduction to some potential buyers trying to choose between a Cooper S and a JCW (3 door).

I then got to sit in a Cooper S Clubman. What a fantastic job they have done with this car. It looks and feels so grown up & refined yet it's still very much a Mini. Quality of the detailing inside was top notch, and on the outside it looked great too. My eyes lit up when the manager told me I can have one for a weekend if I wanted to try it for size :eek:

Now, Mrs J has mentioned "getting something a little bigger" to replace her R56 One, and I think one of these will be high on the possible list.

Lovely looking car from the outside, they have made some nice colours available too.

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
I totally agree I too was at the dealer having rummage and agreed it's very classy. Sat nav as standard too. Love the updated dash and materials. We may well be tempted but it's too nice for the dog to wreck ! If they homologate.it for a.tow bar ............the duster may be dust! 4x4 version comes next year too!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
My dealer is having a cocktail party event for the unveiling of the new clubman. The lease on our gas slurping SUV is up next October, hopefully an ALL4 300hp JCW will be available at that time..
Check it out Peter & take a lot of pics! ?

John

Reactions: TraceyC

·
Registered
769 Posts
Just received an invite from my dealer for a Clubman event on 8 December. Can't wait to check it out.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My dealer's event was last night and I got to play around with it and ask questions. REALLY nice car! You can tell a lot of work and planning went into this. It looked smaller than I was expecting, but there is so much room for rear passengers and cargo.

A few takeaways:

- I asked about the blinky antenna and the MINI rep told me that due to US laws stating that only emergency vehicles can have flashing lights on the roof, we get the plain fin antenna. The radio antennas move to the glass.

- The armrest (which is now standard) has TWO compartments. The normal smaller compartment, like the F56 does then there is a much deep compartment under that. It's the little things that make me happy...

- Easily more room in the back than my Countryman had.

- Rear passengers get HVAC vents, though there are not separate temperature zones. They can adjust airflow and direction

- The glowing door trim with MINI Yours interiors is sweeeeeeet

- There are 10 cupholders if you spec the 40:20:40 seats (which everybody should) Most of them can easily accomodate 20 oz bottles and even wine bottles

- While they aren't letting dealers or customers drive them yet, the MINI rep who was present drove the car up from CA and said it drives really smooth, but not disconnected, it handles very well (wider tires, wider stance), and still has plenty of "pep"

- ALL4 is coming next spring and sounds like a evolution of the current ALL4 system in the Countryman now. No mention of a rumored hybrid drivetrain.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Cool, thanks for that. Now I really can't wait to check it out. We've been kicking the idea around of trading in the R50 on something bigger and Clubman might be the right fit. Nothing else out there really does it for either of us and she won't give up her MINI for anything else but another one.
Found this behind the wheel video on youtube yesterday. Definitely peaked our interest a bit more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My dealer's event was last night and I got to play around with it and ask questions. REALLY nice car! You can tell a lot of work and planning went into this. It looked smaller than I was expecting, but there is so much room for rear passengers and cargo.

A few takeaways:

- I asked about the blinky antenna and the MINI rep told me that due to US laws stating that only emergency vehicles can have flashing lights on the roof, we get the plain fin antenna. The radio antennas move to the glass.

- The armrest (which is now standard) has TWO compartments. The normal smaller compartment, like the F56 does then there is a much deep compartment under that. It's the little things that make me happy...

- Easily more room in the back than my Countryman had.

- Rear passengers get HVAC vents, though there are not separate temperature zones. They can adjust airflow and direction

- The glowing door trim with MINI Yours interiors is sweeeeeeet

- There are 10 cupholders if you spec the 40:20:40 seats (which everybody should) Most of them can easily accomodate 20 oz bottles and even wine bottles

- While they aren't letting dealers or customers drive them yet, the MINI rep who was present drove the car up from CA and said it drives really smooth, but not disconnected, it handles very well (wider tires, wider stance), and still has plenty of "pep"

- ALL4 is coming next spring and sounds like a evolution of the current ALL4 system in the Countryman now. No mention of a rumored hybrid drivetrain.

Good info. By next spring, do you mean 2016?

I was in a pretty nasty wreck in our family car a week ago, and we'd be up for replacing it with a Clubman, but my wife really wants AWD on the replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Good info. By next spring, do you mean 2016?

I was in a pretty nasty wreck in our family car a week ago, and we'd be up for replacing it with a Clubman, but my wife really wants AWD on the replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, spring 2016. I think I heard production starts in March.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Totally agree with other comments on here. Had a little rummage around one at the weekend, easy a good rival for a Golf/A3 etc now.

All-4 + JCW power will make it a serious contender for me.

Nice car MINI, well done. And it looks MUCH better in the flesh than in photos!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I drove a Clubman S yesterday. It was an 8AT model that was maybe middle spec (middle trim radio, power seats, etc). I then had a Countryman S (lower spec) as a loaner. Interior space is very similar despite the specs. Clubman has a much nicer interior IMO. Materials are better all around. Aesthetics are much more grown up while still being MINI. The Clubman chassis is well damped and certainly feels premium (not luxury). It doesn't feel as lively as the hatchbacks, but that is to be expected. I wasn't crazy about the 8AT. Engine seemed peppy enough for the chassis. I'll definitely be going S if we decide to get one. My wife loved it. After getting a $2k laundry list of repairs on our 2005 yesterday, and a trade in offer of $3500, I don't know that I'm that eager to put another mini in the garage.

(Here is our $3500 2005 MCS w/ factory LSD and 77k miles, btw)

Sent from Tandy 400

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I drove a Clubman S yesterday. It was an 8AT model that was maybe middle spec (middle trim radio, power seats, etc). I then had a Countryman S (lower spec) as a loaner. Interior space is very similar despite the specs. Clubman has a much nicer interior IMO. Materials are better all around. Aesthetics are much more grown up while still being MINI. The Clubman chassis is well damped and certainly feels premium (not luxury). It doesn't feel as lively as the hatchbacks, but that is to be expected. I wasn't crazy about the 8AT. Engine seemed peppy enough for the chassis. I'll definitely be going S if we decide to get one. My wife loved it. After getting a $2k laundry list of repairs on our 2005 yesterday, and a trade in offer of $3500, I don't know that I'm that eager to put another mini in the garage.

(Here is our $3500 2005 MCS w/ factory LSD and 77k miles, btw)

Sent from Tandy 400
Beautiful R53! :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
To big for a Mini IMO. They should change the name to "Maxi Cooper".
Interesting you say that. I've yet to check it out properly, but apparently the new clubman's proportions are the same "ratio" of size that the original clubman/minivan was to the original Issigonis Mini.

Point of note, the Clubman is in the "final" of "most beautiful cars of 2015" in France.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.