Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was internet chatting with my daughter in college and told her I bought a Volcanic Orange MINI.

Her reaction? ZOMG LOL WTF and a few other acronyms. I told her to google it and eventually she came back with an unhelpful "It's bright, Dad".

Now I'm freaking out just a little, but resolved to power through this. Car should be finished today, too late to change the color, I expect. Anyway, VO and proud of it, dangit!
:eek:

Anyone else have interesting reactions to VO to report?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well it's the best option of the free options as the pepper white is cream in my opinion.
I actually thought it was one off the best colours before realising it was a no cost option.
Personally I like British R green. But there was none in the flesh to see and I'd spent more than I'd wanted too. So it was a no brainer to choose VO.
Should I add the bonnet stripes though? ( it's the five door, so I'm a bit if and imposter here!)
Matt

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
Funny though 're autocorrect! Yes my family on the rather conservative side had the same reaction. My wife wanted me to have it. She had no doubts and I think her taste impeccable esp in men.....However a lot of people stop and stare and I have had some very favourable comments. I wasn't too sure but wanted a free colour and not white as I'd had a white car for ages. Have to say it hasn't just grown on me it has totally rocked my world .I live and love it and every time I return to it my heart skips a beat. Seriously it is love. Stay with us f55driver as you're essentially getting the same car with a lump welded into the chassis. Saw it at the factory. And yes have the stripes they are the killer blow. It is fab and you won't regret it.

Reactions: uke

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for that.
The dealer has given me the option to have the stripes fitted when the car arrives.
I think they'll go well with the black wheels and black roof and headlining but I'm still not sure about stripes on the five door.
I would definitely have them on the 3 door, although my wife didn't want them on hers, although she has silver alloys instead with the black roof.
Thanks again.
Matt

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
I know what you meanre the stripes have you had a look on the configurator. It'll give you some idea.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I saw the VO at the dealership and really fell in love with it. Not a fan of orange in general but it's a great shade and looks terrific with bonnet stripes and black roof. I went with chrome wheels though. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Mini

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
Totally agree crimguy. It's not really orange or yellow but it's stunning . I spent hours going from silver to Black then back to Silver wheels again till my wife told me to get a grip. Deal breaker was she'd had a roadsters with black alloys and I liked them so thought would give it a go. Very happy but yours looks stunning too.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started with VO, then a Pepper White with my specs showed up (would have received it today!), then had Pepper White Buyer's remorse before the car arrived at USA and switched back to orange.

Not an orange person, but it is a nice color. Looks good with black everything else. And the price is right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I asked myself the question: Should a 65 year old guy not only be driving a MINI but a bright orange one with stripes?! The answer came back a resounding YES! Opinions? Who cares?! I'm loving it!

You love what you like.
For me I choose color VO because I like it, I am 67 years old too. Not a fan of VO but me and my wife like this color. We still own a red stick shift Corvette C5 2003 convertible. We just got 2015 Mini Cooper S hardtop.
When we drove it in local area, lot of head tuning to look at us, like it or hate it ... do not care.:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's interesting though, and I did multiple checks on the configurator comparing with and without stripes and couldn't make a decision and ordered without. then changed my mind and the dealer says they couldn't be added. But they would add them after delivery, this worries me as I've opted for the paint protection and I just don't trust them to do a good job and not just protect the paintwork with swirls in it!
I also worry what the finish would be if I decide to remove them after the paint protection has been applied.
Also, and I'm nor sure if any F56 owners would notice; the configurators computer image of the 5 door is not accurate and I think could be classed as misleading. The image is closer to a 3 door mini with frameless doors and not like the actual 5 door with framed doors that look rather utilitarian, compared to the 3 door which is sleek.
In fact the configurator version of the 5door is a sleek looking car which unfortunately the 5 door in the flesh is not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have to say that Volcanic Orange is rather different in the flesh than the brochure made it appear. (Much darker in the brochure). I am getting used to it.

Can't quite get over the fact it is the same colour as the speed cameras!

I have mused whether to get some stripes put on it, but not sure they would look right without the black roof to go with them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have to say that Volcanic Orange is rather different in the flesh than the brochure made it appear. (Much darker in the brochure). I am getting used to it.

Can't quite get over the fact it is the same colour as the speed cameras!

I have mused whether to get some stripes put on it, but not sure they would look right without the black roof to go with them.
I have the black roof and I think the stripes might go well with the back wheels as well. But, my wife is getting A 3 door VO with black roof and silver alloys and I think mine ( if I added the bonnet stripes) might either make mine look odd or hers look.......hmm.... not as good as mine.
And that might piss her off as she wanted one first and I essentially copied her, albeit with the 5 door.

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
Tricky one. However I love my black stripes wheels roof on my 3 door, and my roof rails! If it is any consolation we had some s tripes taken off our roadsters s and they came off really easily possibly helped by the high polish of the paint protection. Sytners stripes man then applied and they are equally as good as the factory so don't worry! Long story !

·
Registered
236 Posts
Tricky one. However I love my black stripes wheels roof on my 3 door, and my roof rails! If it is any consolation we had some s tripes taken off our roadsters s and they came off really easily possibly helped by the high polish of the paint protection. Sytners stripes man then applied and they are equally as good as the factory so don't worry! Long story !
Do you have any photos of the roof rails and do you think they could be retrofitted?
Btw, what's the long story?
Matt

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
When I can get about easily will take some. In fact you might see the rails on my beading post. 're the stripes. Wife bought a black mini roadsters but wanted to break it up with some colour. Negotiated red stripes and wing mirror caps. On collection they'd not done boot or spoiler stripes as the unofficial stripe man they use didn't have a template. I bought my r56 elsewhere and when I was at sytners their stripe man was there.he said he was able to finish it off which he did but had to replace the front ones too as the colour didn't quite match. he did it and while I waited I made the'mistake' of getting a price for my car and couldn't say no to the deal they offered me on an f56. Great saleslady! Sytner Nottingham!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I asked myself the question: Should a 65 year old guy not only be driving a MINI but a bright orange one with stripes?! The answer came back a resounding YES! Opinions? Who cares?! I'm loving it!
And this, Sir, is why you're freakin awesome! MINI Owners can do whatever the @#$% they want! We won't judge! The bright colour just says "wow" this dude is awesome and must have an interesting life!

·
Super Moderator
7,885 Posts
Hi 2 in the family you can see my roof rails on the beading pic I posted on 2nd page of the beading thread. They said at the factory that it's a totally different roof so probably not a retrofit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You love what you like.
For me I choose color VO because I like it, I am 67 years old too. Not a fan of VO but me and my wife like this color. We still own a red stick shift Corvette C5 2003 convertible. We just got 2015 Mini Cooper S hardtop.
When we drove it in local area, lot of head tuning to look at us, like it or hate it ... do not care.:)
I'm 72, and our new Pepper White (with custom stripes) Mini Cooper S will replace our C5 Corvette 6 speed stick shift. Only room for 2 cars in the garage.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts