Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
VO S Progress Thread - Maximus the Mini

Hi all,

Finally decided to start doing a few things with my VO Cooper S. Starting off with subtle visual mods before I move on to anything performance orientated.

So, for my first mod...Alloygators.

They serve as rim protection and I quite like the look of them. I was considering getting them for a while but I heard mixed reviews and stories about them coming loose (usually down to bad fitting).

Figured I'd give them a go and was advised to keep an eye on the tyre pressures and don't let them deflate too much - I do this anyway so it's no biggy.
They cost me £99 fitted. I believe you can buy a set for £60 but I wanted somebody with experience to fit them.

Added a filter to that picture as the 'out of the box' Alloygators are slightly brighter than my dirty car - after a quick wash and wax the color should be more or less the same!

I've ordered some orange centre wheel caps - they're due to arrive shortly, do you all think it will be a little 'too much' orange?

Cheers,

Ash

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope I've tried rotating them and trying each one on both doors. The ground is uneven, I laid a towel down for that picture. On flat ground, they look fine besides the wrong spelling of Mini!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So I finally got round to having my first performance mod installed - the JCW Tuning Kit. Initially I was concerned about having it fitted due to my car having the infamous 'squeal' after warming up. The car got recalled a couple of days ago for a crankshaft bearing replacement + oil filter housing upgrade, this gave me the confidence to go ahead and have the tuning kit installed as Mini assured me there was nothing mechanically wrong with the car - and that the crankshaft bearing may have been the culprit of the squealing noise.

I was concerned about my increase in insurance premium as I know some can be funny with performance mods. I phoned Admiral up for a quote on Monday prior to fitting, they stated £86 which I thought was fair. I phoned up again to activate it yesterday and it had dropped to £26 - I swear they just roll a dice when quoting you!

I'm very impressed with the difference in sound. This short video I made below makes me feel 18 again :D You can have it in a more quiet mode if you wish :)

The next two upgrades on the cards are going to be the JCW Brake upgrade and an uprated air filter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.