Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I have Visual Boost in a Cooper S, but no Sat Nav.

What actually does the Voice Recognition button on the steering wheel allow me to do?
I had a quick press with it last night and it just seems to allow me to dial a contact through calling out a name!!
Is that all it does or can i access features on the car?.

Cant find anything in the manual...

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have a windows phone (love it... well aware I am very much in the minority here, but after having had both iOS and Android I am happy with my choice).

For me, voice recognition automatically launches Cortana (windows phone version of siri I guess you can say). In other words, as long as I have a good phone signal I can call a friend, leave a text message, ask what the weather's like in two days, add a calendar entry and on and on. So basically, everything I can do with voice activation directly on my phone.

I'm still amazed it (almost) always works!

However, I have no idea what i would get if I didn't have a phone connected... going to try tomorrow, and no idea if I am able to directly control anything actually in the car.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats just it. my wife has a windows phone and she has picked up a new BMW.. She sent me a text, via voice recognition and Cortana yesterday, from her new car.
That was what got me thinking, if i could do the same in the MINI and iPhone??

·
Registered
177 Posts
Are you looking in the online manual, Peterg i.e. the Mini Driver's Guide App which you can download on a tablet?

This is where I found it, but as I have the Media XL there is the possibility that it may be more limited with other options.

Under 'Owner's Handbook', within the App, there is a sub-section called 'Short Commands of the Voice Control System'. It's a the bottom below 'licence texts'

Unfortunately the App won't let me screen grab the tables via my iPad, but there are loads of different Functions, along with the corresponding Command you need to say. It includes most functions, like managing the main menu, central instruments, on board computer, external devices, radio (although I have to say that on DAB it leaves a bit to be desired)

Try saying "Radio On" or "Station BBC Radio 1" or whatever station, as a quick test of whether you have this functionality. Then download the App.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
qmark

just looking in the handbook app now, but can't find sub section for voice control..

i open up owners handbook and i get 8 options
1.Usage instructions
2.Operating Options
3.Controls
4.Driving Hints
5.Entertainment.
6.Communication
7.Mobility
8.reference

·
Registered
177 Posts
There should be 3 sub-sections under Reference:
Technical Data/
Licence texts &
Short Commands for voice control

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you have an iPhone................. Keep your button pressed & 'Siri' will activate. This is great to compose text messages and send while driving.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Code:
n
There should be 3 sub-sections under Reference:
Technical Data/
Licence texts &
Short Commands for voice control
Opened up technical data in the App and it says Technical data can be found in the printed copy of owners manual...

What's the point of the App handbook:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
177 Posts
my Technical data also refers me to my (non-existent) owners manual...but the Voice control commands is the last of the 3 sub-sections

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thats just it. my wife has a windows phone and she has picked up a new BMW.. She sent me a text, via voice recognition and Cortana yesterday, from her new car.
That was what got me thinking, if i could do the same in the MINI and iPhone??
If you have an iPhone................. Keep your button pressed & 'Siri' will activate. This is great to compose text messages and send while driving.
Was going to suggest use siri as in my ford when you press to activate it, it will work over the cars loud speaker. Very Handy

·
Registered
258 Posts
oddly enough I tried a short press of the button this morning (I have visual boost and that's it) and I got... nothing. I will try again a bit later. If I press the phone button I can scroll through the most recent call list but that's about it.

Longer press activates cortana, so I'm happy enough though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a windows phone (love it... well aware I am very much in the minority here, but after having had both iOS and Android I am happy with my choice).

For me, voice recognition automatically launches Cortana (windows phone version of siri I guess you can say). In other words, as long as I have a good phone signal I can call a friend, leave a text message, ask what the weather's like in two days, add a calendar entry and on and on. So basically, everything I can do with voice activation directly on my phone.

I'm still amazed it (almost) always works!

However, I have no idea what i would get if I didn't have a phone connected... going to try tomorrow, and no idea if I am able to directly control anything actually in the car.
Hello,
I was wondering do you have to download an app before using voice control as with my other phone when I clicked it the phone made me download an app. Now I’ve got a new phone and wondered do you have to have anything downloaded.
or if you deleted something before how can you get it to work?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts