Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed when I have my music loud and I come to lights and my engine cuts out, everything is fine but upon depression of the clutch to fire the engine the volume goes down by at least 1/3. Is there a setting where I can stop this from happening cause it's annoying me to have to keep turning it back up!!

·
Banned
122 Posts
I've noticed when I have my music loud and I come to lights and my engine cuts out, everything is fine but upon depression of the clutch to fire the engine the volume goes down by at least 1/3. Is there a setting where I can stop this from happening cause it's annoying me to have to keep turning it back up!!
It should be adjustable through options when you are are in media mode.
It's called "speed volume" (or something to that effect). It get's louder the more you are pushing the engine so you can hear your music and inversely softer when your engine quiets down.

You can adjust the intensity of adjustment.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It's by design, but check your speed volume settings:

From Settings, go to Tone, Volume Settings and you can adjust the speed volume. Speed volume will adjust the volume of your music based on your speed. Go faster, it automatically turns up the volume to compensate, slow down, it goes back down.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm guessing I turn it up to the max setting for it to not keep going down?

Wish you just just deactivate it like on the older models.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone actually found out how to turn this off? Noticed that it did it in the F55 Cooper D I had on loaner last week, manual equipped with Visual Boost.

My SD doesn't do it, don't know whether it's cause its Auto or cause of H/K? They seem to be the only specification differences between my car and the loaner.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine manual with hk haplens only if volume is high

I think its hk due to amp ...chows voltage so reducing volume ensures that there is enough for the start

So of like what happens with lights back before leds they dimmed a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'm guessing I turn it up to the max setting for it to not keep going down?

Wish you just just deactivate it like on the older models.
the opposite; you need to turn it down to reduce the difference between the volume at speed and the volume at rest. its this difference that you are noticing, the speed activation is artificially turning the volume up

·
Registered
102 Posts
This doesn't sound like a speed related volume change if it is fine when you stop but only changes on startup.
I have noticed that if I change the volume using the steering wheel controls then the change in volume is not retained on startup, but if I change via the central knob then the change is retained on startup.
This is a feature I like as I can set the default volume and know it will always stay at the same level as long as I use the steering wheel controls for temporary changes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Only happens when music is loud ...

I think it preserves all energy for the start instead of the amp and all

This is minimize the risk of the car not starting... due to insufficient power drained by amp etc ...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Only happens when music is loud ...

I think it preserves all energy for the start instead of the amp and all

This is minimize the risk of the car not starting... due to insufficient power drained by amp etc ...

Probably not. If that were the case, then the LED lights would go off first. Ever look at the heat sinks on those things? Lotsa amperage. Ditto the AC and cabin fans. and the MINI display screen. All much higher current devices than a stereo system, even cranked.

I suspect it is probably just to keep parents from getting blasted by the kids' volume settings when they start the car, or something. The engineers surely understand that long exposure to high volume acclimates your ears. Remove the sound, and the ears become acclimated to the relative quiet. If you return the sound to the previous level, it will feel louder than it felt before. Smoothing out the user experience, IMHO.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Probably not. If that were the case, then the LED lights would go off first. Ever look at the heat sinks on those things? Lotsa amperage. Ditto the AC and cabin fans. and the MINI display screen. All much higher current devices than a stereo system, even cranked.

I suspect it is probably just to keep parents from getting blasted by the kids' volume settings when they start the car, or something. The engineers surely understand that long exposure to high volume acclimates your ears. Remove the sound, and the ears become acclimated to the relative quiet. If you return the sound to the previous level, it will feel louder than it felt before. Smoothing out the user experience, IMHO.

I thoughts this thread was referring to temporal volume dip when car auto start while you stopped at the robot ... volume dips and gets back to full blast once the car has started

As for the switch on volume ... that is a separate thing all together ...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I thoughts this thread was referring to temporal volume dip when car auto start while you stopped at the robot ... volume dips and gets back to full blast once the car has started

As for the switch on volume ... that is a separate thing all together ...

I should have read the original post better. For some reason I thought this was on startup and shutdown, not on auto stop.

No clue why it would do that on auto-restart. Interesting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It seems like a coding bug where it thinks every time the engine starts the volume should be set to max volume for startup. I used bimmer code to change the coding in the head unit module so the max volume at startup is 100%.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.