Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the MINI has been my dream car for six years and now that I am finally getting ready to buy one for the first time, I am so confused by what the MINI saleswoman told me.

The saleswoman claims to be a die hard MINI fan and said that redesigning the MINI has made the MINI "lose it's soul". She said point blank she does not recommend me buying the car! She said it would be better to lease the car, until they work out the flaws that are inevitable in a new design car.

I have never heard of problems or recalls surrounding the MINI.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Invite her to put it in writing!

We have already established that the factory doesn't close at all in August, so when she said that (from your other post) she is incorrect. Most importantly, have a test drive in the new F56 mini and an earlier model. There are differences. You can make your own mind up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been looking as well and just cannot buy a Mini. The last two Mini models rattled and the auto's were not great.
I have just updated my 2012 BMW 1 series instead of a MCS hard top with a new 2014 M sport with all the goodies it cost the same as a standard 2014 MCS auto. BMW's 8 speed auto leaves Mini's auto for dead. I'll wait for the Mini convertible to come out before I purchase a convertible but at this stage it looks to be a 2015 2 series convertible next year for my wife.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When literally tens of thousands of Minis has been delivered to customers already, and we are hearing about a small minority of people with problems. Although they can be highly annoying and costly problems, they are still unusual that only a minority experience.

Going by the number of completely satisfied customers who have had nothing but endless enjoyment from their new Minis, I would suggest you do as Iznik suggested and test drive the Mini and make your own judgement.

I think you should go to a different dealer or at least find a new sales executive, as this one doesn't look to be selling cars.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
What dealership was this? Total nonsense spoken there.

Could I suggest that there be more sales commission going to the dealership if you lease the car!

I would visit another dealer.
Nail on the head there.

With respect to losing its soul, I think the R56 did that, and the F56 regains some of it. My F56 certainly doesn't rattle, whereas my R50 drove me insane when new.

When the Mini gets the ZF auto gearbox, it'll be awesome.

Oli

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'd really like to know who this saleswoman is and which dealership she works for!

I've just taken delivery of my brand new Mini, having previously owned an R53, an R56 MCS and an R56 JCW.

All I can say is the new one is Amazing! Yes, you do have to pay a lot of money, and there are certain things which in my opinion are must haves, especially for when you go to sell it further down the line.....such as Chilli Pack, Heads Up Display & Driving Assistant Package.

I hated the look of the F56 at first, but it grew on me. I also hated the look of the R56 when that first came out.

Yes, some people have had issues, but then there are issues with some cars from every brand. I never had issues with my R53. I had issues with my R56 MCS, but not a single issue with my JCW.

The build quality on the F56 is excellent. It feels very well put together. I'm sure there will be issues with some of them, and it is a new model, but I think it's a huge step forward for Mini.

Leasing is an option if you intend to change the car every few years and want a guaranteed trade in value.

If you intend to keep the car longer than 5 years, then you should definitely go for the purchase option.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
She must be an Audi saleswoman specifically one that sold many A1's

:eek:

In all honesty though every brand has their fair share of issues and problems through launch and even onwards

Some things may be faulty batch related faulty design etc etc

I wouldn't worry about it because if you did you'd never make a decision in life and stick to it - that applies to us all

·
Registered
471 Posts
It doesn't matter that brand you work for, someone who doesn't fully support that brand - especially as a salesperson - should be shot!

I've never been interested in mini's before but there was something about the new cooper that made me look. It's amazing. I'd go with another dealer if that's an option.

·
Registered
966 Posts
What a load of bollox!

I would ask to speak to her manager, and let them know what she said.

Sounds like she's got a brilliant career behind her :crying:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm in a minority here so please don't shoot me down as we should all be allowed our own opinion. I am glad I have held off buying my mini after reports of leaking windscreen washer and this is this hundreds if you check other forums, then leaking boot lids again lots if you look on other threads/forums. Now a collapsing bonnet ok it's fixed but bmw deny any problems. Also lots of other small problems, so glad I have held till all these minor problems sorted and not got a car in and out of the garage.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I'm in a minority here so please don't shoot me down as we should all be allowed our own opinion. I am glad I have held off buying my mini after reports of leaking windscreen washer and this is this hundreds if you check other forums, then leaking boot lids again lots if you look on other threads/forums. Now a collapsing bonnet ok it's fixed but bmw deny any problems. Also lots of other small problems, so glad I have held till all these minor problems sorted and not got a car in and out of the garage.
Try the range rover sport :eek:

Or for that matter the evoque

Both have sold like hot cakes and both have problems notably the evoque - how many years has that been in production :eek:

Like I said it's everyone - no need to shoot you down your opinion is still a fair and measured one but if we keep on living to wait meaning if we just wait to seize the moment instead of the moment seizing us we are really done for

That's just my opinion and point of view and you're spot on with yours too...

·
Registered
471 Posts
The thing is you will never ever buy a new car and it be faultless - ok there will be a few cars that have no trouble at all - but given that it's a new range, new design I am expecting little niggles. They will get fixed - for those yet to buy -and for those who already own one.

I'd rather have the mini now, enjoy the experience and if a problem comes along I'll raise the issue. Totally understand where you are coming from baldyspoon.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Quite agree, we aren't in North Korea with the same opinion and same haircuts so go for it, your opinion is as valued as the next person's. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
She's a moron.

I drove the 2 series, and 1 series BMW before settling on the MCS...sure the BMW auto was awesome, but the Mini was so much better to drive, sure it ended up costing me more than either BMW...couldn't care less...brilliant car.

Just go to a different dealer and give them the commission...they HATE that lol.. That's what I did when my salesman from another dealer was being an idiot.

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
I have to say I am with the new dealer crowd here. My wife and I have had 3 minis and I am eagerly awaiting my f56. The web is full of woes. That's why it's there. To get help. Very few happy people say so. Look at nam tho and the mileage thread. There are mini owners there covering huge trouble free miles. With a mini you get a 3 year warranty from New or 1 year if used. Totally fair I think and its a superb car. I love them. Try one! My r56 cooper s is better in every way to my golf r32 ex the engine noise! Vws group cars have a great reputation but I had no end of trouble.and I know of lots who do too.

Reactions: Hat

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I have to say I am with the new dealer crowd here. My wife and I have had 3 minis and I am eagerly awaiting my f56. The web is full of woes. That's why it's there. To get help. Very few happy people say so. Look at nam tho and the mileage thread. There are mini owners there covering huge trouble free miles. With a mini you get a 3 year warranty from New or 1 year if used. Totally fair I think and its a superb car. I love them. Try one! My r56 cooper s is better in every way to my golf r32 ex the engine noise! Vws group cars have a great reputation but I had no end of trouble.and I know of lots who do too.
Totally agree with this We are on MINI number 8 and while not all of them have been perfect as a package they are hard to beat. Although I still have a soft spot for the original supercharged MCS the F56 is a ripper fun, refined lots of tech and I know Mrs W wouldn't trade hers for anything....

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's seems obvious she's using this tactic to get you into a lease rather than a purchase, making her manipulative and duplicitous. I would explain to the manager you need another salesperson, preferably an honest one.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts