Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just called my insurer to update my car details

Price increase for having the JCW kit on Junior (over Fevio with Chili) for the remaining 9 months of my policy was

£344

So before you spec it remember that a body kit is for life and you'll be stung annually >:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
*gulp* ....I dread to think what adding the JCW engine tuning, exhaust, brakes and suspension will do to mine then...might have to pass

·
Registered
844 Posts
Who are you with?

LV told me that as long as any modification was factory fitted there would be no extra charge.

That is a huge amount, more than I pay in total for my insurance.

Was that increase just for the kit or are they hitting you for the accident even though it was clearly not your fault?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Esure and they confirmed its not because of the accident, purely because of the kit.

Come renewal time I will of course shop around, but since I am part way through a pre-paid premium, I am stuck at the moment.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE LV - you're right - I've just got a quote and in the bit where they ask for mods, a popup appears saying they do not count factory ones. Problem is LV's premium without the mods is as high for me as Esure's with the mods.

Guess when it's time for renewal in July I'll have to put in the research hours and find a friendly quote :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'd cancel the policy - they are clearly a joke company.

I fitted coilovers and wheels to mine for nothing more than an admin fee!

·
Registered
966 Posts
just before I got the cooper, I phoned admiral to change the policy. They informed me it would be a £17 admin fee, so I asked to cancel as it was only 3 months in and was told that would be a £50 admin fee. They wouldn't budge even when I pointed out the mini was standard, and confused.com etc were showing it to be roughly half what the golf was costing.

so you can cancel at any time, but in the small print you'll find you get shafted anyway if you give them a wad of money for the whole year.

·
Super Moderator
7,900 Posts
Amazing e sure told me any factory option classed as std. 150 all in fully comp for me. They've stung you due to the accident matey. As ever insurance companies rip you off.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Amazing e sure told me any factory option classed as std. 150 all in fully comp for me. They've stung you due to the accident matey. As ever insurance companies rip you off.
Are you sure?

http://www.esure.com/car_insurance/policy_information/

Page 10 of the policy document

modifications - Any alteration to the manufacturers' standard specification for your car, including optional extras fitted to the car when new by the vehicle manufacturer or dealer, which improves its value, performance, appearance or attractiveness to thieves. This includes, but is not restricted to, changes to the engine, engine management or exhaust system, changes to the wheels or suspension system, changes to the bodywork, such as spoilers or body kits or changes to the windows, such as tinting. This includes any modifications or changes made by previous owners.
Have you not declared your cosmic wheels then?

Would be horrible if you went through what I went through with Fevio and the insurance only gave you the invoice amount of a basic cooper rather than the full amount you paid including the options.

Or worse... Void your policy for not disclosing the info!
insurance sux

·
Super Moderator
7,900 Posts
Ouch true. I did mention when I rang and booked it but you have me worried now. Will be ringing them 're winter tyres any way so will mention it. They always seem to get you!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I just called up esure to double check they had all the right options down and the guy yesterday mistakenly put down the wheels as aftermarket. I explained to the guy today that they are geniune mini wheels but are an optional upgrade on top of the jcw exterior and are fitted at the factory, and because of this they have given me a partial refund of about £70! So i doubt your cosmos upgrade to the chilli pack will make much difference to premium given they are a mini genuine factory upgrade :)

·
Super Moderator
7,900 Posts
That's what I thought I did have that conversation with them when I renews. If it's as it comes from the factory he said no need to declare! Tom him at his word. Wife pays 130 fully comp for her mini roadsters s! Protected ncb too. Amazing. Thank you p.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's what I thought I did have that conversation with them when I renews. If it's as it comes from the factory he said no need to declare! Tom him at his word. Wife pays 130 fully comp for her mini roadsters s! Protected ncb too. Amazing. Thank you p.
no problem, I think you may still need to declare them though - they didn't tell me it made *no* difference...just not as much by the tune of -£70

and the JCW bodykit even though that's factory still stands me in at +£274! :|

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are those wheels not part of the sports pack?
No, they are an extra £375 on top of the sport pack :(

Sports packs come with 17" Track Spoke as standard, much like Chili comes with 16" Victory Spoke as standard.

These 18" Cup Spokes are an upgrade only available with the sport but in addition to it!

·
Super Moderator
7,900 Posts
And very nice they are too. To confirm ,it is very hard to get any refund out of insurance companies. I had a classic car policy for a fiat barchetta. After two months I sold it to my brother.no replacement car as I moved on to motorbikes. No refund at all. Insurance for cars is a must but I always go cheapest and never take out any insurance on anything else eg tv washing machine etc. Unless it is from richer sounds. Very cheap and if you don't claim you get a full refund if you remember it after 5 years!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts