Mini Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had same issue with mine. They replaced the seal for the hatch and I haven't had any water in the boot since. The front however found a new issue where its getting water in the floorboards in the driver and passenger sides. Very little though but shouldn't be any in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem with my MCS 2014. Never bother to check under the trunk. Just noticed water under the flaps the other day after loading some groceries and needed extra space and lifted the upper flooring of my trunk. Anyone fixed this problem? Will be calling our dealership in a while. But don't know if it will be covered by warranty as 3yrs had lapsed already. Feeling so disappointed as I love this car so much and very few mileage on it only.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Additional info. As I checked the whole area inside and after drying it thoroughly. I can see that the water is coming from the left side of the side wall. I do not think it has anything to do with weather strips of the door. My wild guess is that it's coming from the gap between the glass and the black plastic panel on the sides. Probably need sealant from the inside. Hope anyone can double check on this. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can only go off of what the dealer told me and they said they changed the whole Seal around the hatch to fix the issue. But just like yours I had that same puddle in the back. What is annoying is that this problem occurs and this model has been around for a few years now. You'd think they would have worked the kinks out in the design by now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2002 Mini had this problem. It was the seal around the high level tail light. Removed it, silicon seal around the light unit. Problem Solved.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Welcome to the forum guys. I had the same problem on my 2015 Mini the Dealer replaced the hatch seal under warranty and never had the problem again. I forgot all about it. I better check my 2017 MCS.;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had my Mini fixed last week and it seems the problem corrected. Yes it?s correct the water was coming from the weather strip(door seal). It drips down to the lower center of the boot and goes in thru a small hole in between the double walling where the latch is. The mechanic was able to trace it after dousing enough water on top of the unit. Anyway they did not change the weather strip but temporarily make remedy tightening the grip in the meantime. Awaiting a reply from Germany for goodwill warranty.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Checked mine and no evidence of leaking. It is a 2017, but we've had a lot of rain in FL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have the dealership look for a service bulletin concerning body panel seals. I had this same problem about a year and a half ago. At first the dealership thought the rear hatch seal was the culprit, but the problem recurred after replacing the seal. While trying to figure out where the water was coming in they discovered a service bulletin regarding faulty body panel seals. They corrected the panel seal issue and my boot has been bone dry since. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
219 Posts
A Mini "Meister" found another Problem for water in the hood/trunk.

Thats the same problem of some Minis of the R50 Model

View attachment 56242

This German Mini driver tells what to do (I'am sorry its in German):

hier die Lösung für die Selbsthilfegruppe :love:

Dichtung abziehen und je nach Pflegegrad war der Rost genau an den gleichen Stellen dann zu bestaunen

die Löcher zu verschließen ist nur die Hälfte der Arbeit
es muss einfach sichergestellt werden das die Dichtung kein Wasser mehr ansaugt ( Kapillarwirkung )

a. durch jede Menge Fett auf und in der Falz
b. oder durch eine nicht aushärtende Butylschnur Terostat 2460

letzteres gibt es sogar mit einer BMW Teilenummer :))) beim Haendler

·
Registered
19 Posts
This morning I changed to Winter Tires on my Feb 2015 Mini.. went to get the locking nut socket from the boot..to discover 3" of Water in the Toolkit compartment : (
Seems I need a seal change!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
The Problem will be bigger and bigger.

Another German Driver saw water in the trunk, while he wanted to change his Summertires.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I was dusting off my little guy today and took a close look at the drip rail design on my JCW 3 Dr Hatch. Now, I have loads of experience with drip rail trim on vintage Bimmers (2002’s mostly) so I examined it closely, and you know what? At the rear of the drip rail it stops right at the space between the rear hatch and the roof/body! That runoff from the roof pours right into that crack & if the boot gasket is not sealed perfectly I bet water can get in there. Probably more water goes in there than off the rear of the roof since the roof slopes side to side.

I guess that’s just the Engineer in me, but the key just has to have something to do with the rear hatch seal!

I haven’t had a problem since my MINI has not been in the rain, but I have washed it & no problem so far!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, the wife has a Mini One 56 plate with the boot filling with water. After removing the plastic trim on the boot lid and running the hose over the car, water is dripping in through the plastic clips that appear to hold the silver strip below the window on. It is a constant dripping of water and the padding behind the plastic trim was sodden. Only on the right hand side, just need to figure out how to stop it now, If anyone has any experience?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
27, Welcome to the forum. i remember my Mini Dealer replaced the weatherstrip between the glass and body and it stopped the leak. I start to wonder if some of the strip have not been a perfect fit or if they had some problems with a supplier my 2017 MCS does not have that problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just discovered the same issue. I'm taking mine in this week, will report back with any findings. Note, it seems it's coming from under the car as the stuff on top was not wet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had mine fixed once and then had to get it fixed again as the problem returned. I took to two separate dealers. The second dealer replaced the seal again and said the original fix it appeared they didn't install silicone under the seal as they said was recommended in the service bulletin about this issue. My recommendation is to keep checking this area. They also said it can also come in from some side area but mine didn't appear to be leaking from there.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts