Mini Cooper Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I joined this forum specifically to comment on this thread. We've got a new-to-us 2015 Mini Cooper S hatch (5-door) and noticed a lot of water on the right side rear floor this past weekend (a week ago now).

I've called the dealer but am awaiting a return call. I've never owned a car with a warranty before, so I'm hoping this can be resolved while the warranty is in effect.

What's strange to me is that this car was on an independent dealer's lot for a couple weeks before we had it, and it most certainly rained in that time. Yet, it wasn't wet when we got it; it seems to have either started leaking OR the conditions under which it leaks weren't present until we started driving it. My wife drove it on the highway in pouring rain a few times before noticing moisture inside the windows, then the rear floor was wet and upon taking up the carpet I found an inch of water in there. I pulled a plug to drain it, but the water soaked the carpet on the whole right side of the car up to the front seat.

As far as the honesty of the independent shop where we bought it, I do not believe they saw any evidence of water intrusion before they sold it, I have had a good relationship with them for many years and have no question about their honesty. I have talked to them, but of course they said the best thing is to work with the dealer because of the warranty. Wish me luck?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I also had it in my 2015 F55, plenty of water on the electric compressor so I left it out of the 'well' in the end. MINI told me there was no water getting in when they tested it *frown*.

Will keep an eye on 2018 F56!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I read this topic and I went to see in my Mini's boot. There was some water. ****!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Water also in my JCW. Monday 17/12/2018 appointment in the workshop (also for 2 other things ...)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Another one here. 2016 cooper.

After reading this thread, I took notes to search for the cause:

Hatch door seal:
-It drips down to the lower center of the boot and goes in thru a small hole in between the double walling where the latch is;
-Cappilary action (must use silicon or gease between the seal and the metal);
High level brake light (older models);
Roof guttering drain holes;
Gap between the glass and the black plastic panel on the sides;
Weatherstrip between the glass and body;

And maybe add this one too, that piece of cloth some can see (me included), between the rear window and the C pillar. Maybe a faulty window seal?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
And maybe add this one too, that piece of cloth some can see (me included), between the rear window and the C pillar. Maybe a faulty window seal?
My girldfriend has the same problem in her 2015 Cooper D but in her boot luggage there isn't water.
Mine hasn't got the problem and I've water in the boot, so I don't think that the problem is there.

Grrrr, what the ****!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yesterday was a rainy day. Before I get home, I opened the hatch and saw a small puddle of water comming from the front of the boot, near the back of the back seats. Then it was falling into the tools space. I guess the boot seal or latch are excluded. What remains? Rear window seals? Or even front ones? My car is 7 months past the 2 year warranty by now :(

·
Registered
120 Posts
Guess I was wrong... Yesterday rained all day. When I got home I disassembled the boot padding and found the entry points: Hatch door seal and right rear light seal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Could you show us with a photo where the problem exactly is?

·
Registered
120 Posts
The water runs inside the hatch rubber seal and gets inside the boot through that metal gap on both right (image) and left sides. Regarding the rear light seal, I suspect that the top bolt (there are 3 of them, one top, two at the bottom) was a bit loose... Time will tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
My daughter’s 2016 Cooper has this issue and it is going into BMW tomorrow to have he seals replaced under warranty. Will report back to see if this solves the issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My daughter’s 2016 Cooper has this issue and it is going into BMW tomorrow to have he seals replaced under warranty. Will report back to see if this solves the issue.
Great! :);)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, BMW changed the seals and carried out a water test (not sure what this consist of) but time will tell if this solves the issue. Bring on some heavy rain fall.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I have found the same problem last week, my F56 2015 and has 38,000 Km !
I booked an appointment with the dealer, however, I have no warranty more :S
Any idea how much would this cost ?! Is there a service bulletin or such to help cut costs (maybe a PUMA)?
My Mini had all the problems that a Mini could have, I must say I am not that pleased.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem. F55 2016 and an inch of water in the tool well. It’s running in behind the plastic at the bottom of the seal. Maybe through the lock section as others have suggested. Then it’s going around the sides in the little cubby holes used for access to the rear lights and into the boot floor. Does anyone have any costs for fix in the uk or are there any known issues mini will replace under? Out of warrenty last week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, in most cases we use a seam sealer around the body seam of the lower boot along with a new seal. That has been an effective repair. It’s an annoying thing to deal with I am sorry it is happening to all of you. Your Dealer should be able to resolve it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Water in boot

I seem to be one of the many who have water leakage into the toolkit recess. However I’m still looking for a post that offers a categorical solution. My local Mini franchise has replaced the rubber boot seal twice - a newer one replaced the first one but it apparently has the same part number, but dont get too excited - neither made any difference. Silicone is not a professional solution. Car is still under warranty and Mini are still unable to come up with a solution. Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I took mine to the dealer, they changed some seals and said it should be now fine.
However, 2 weeks later it is full of water again !!!
I am not really sure what did they change but am taking it back in a couple of weeks, any pointers that might help identify the problem ?
Shouldnt there be an official service bulletin from Mini (anyone has that?)
thanks !!

41 - 60 of 92 Posts