Mini Cooper Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine was replaced 8 weeks ago and fingers crossed hasn't leaked since we've had downpours and car has been washed thoroughly.
Mini told me it wasn't a warranty item as it was perishable but they did me a favour and replaced it without charge! They made sure to let me know this when I collected it.

To anyone taking theirs in, mark the existing rubber with a bit of Tippex or something somewhere then you can tell if it's been replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was horrified to find water in the boot last week this is not what you expect in modern cars, water ingress was always in old cars that’s why they always smell fusty as once it gets under footwell carpets it gets soaked up by the wadding insulation and never ever dries out, fortunately there is non of that in our boot . I stripped everything out removed trim and covers then climbed into the back while hose pipe was running on the roof and with a torch could see the water coming through although only a very small trickle I guess a few hours of heavy rain would soon fill up 3/4 inches. I can definitely say it does come through the tiny gap where the seams meet as in the post further up (red one) and so I sealed the gaps with good quality sealant and also run a bead all the way along the bottom seam then pushed the rubber seal back on tight allowed to set overnight then repeated test and its bone dry . I’m not convinced the rubber seal is at fault and would say seal the gaps anyway . I bet there are hundreds of f56 owners unaware they have water in the boot until they need the locking wheel nut ....

·
Registered
4 Posts
For months I’ve been reading about the chronic F56 Mini boot leak problem because I’m another unhappy customer.
I bought my Cooper S new in June 2017 and the bootwell has been filling up on a regular basis.
Interesting posts, but I couldnt find any answers in the Forum.
Now I can offer some hope:
In my view, dealers will tell you “it’s the boot seal” because replacing the seal is seen as a positive course of action. But for me it was a complete waste of time because the new seal wasn’t being tested properly. This happened to me twice - after the first rain it happened all over again.
The answer (hopefully) in my case now appears to be the replacement of the o/s light cluster together with all seals etc. It’s been dry inside for some weeks after plenty of rain and hose testing.
Don’t give up. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same problem in my 15 plate one started smelling musty damp in my boot. Lifted the floor pad and noticed The compressor and tools were sitting in 2 inches of water
Have contacted my dealer 2weeks ago and going in for to get sorted on Monday 16th as this is the first avalible loan car.
They are going to keep for a week to fix and replace the door seals at same time as b pillars are scratched
I have midnight black colour so hope when they respray the pillars the match well
Anyway love the car just pissed it's got these niggles which I know will be put right
I have recently purchased a 2004 mini for my partner. Nice clean low mileage. However I noticed the tool kit looked like it had been submerged in water. After the first heavy rain I checked the boot again
and found a large pool of water. Traced it to the rear light cluster indeed the light had condensation on the inside. As both lights looked dull and showed their age I changed them both and guess what
after many day of rain no more pools of water. May be worth checking if you have a similar problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The water runs inside the hatch rubber seal and gets inside the boot through that metal gap on both right (image) and left sides. Regarding the rear light seal, I suspect that the top bolt (there are 3 of them, one top, two at the bottom) was a bit loose... Time will tell.
Hi I know this is from 10 months ago, but could you explain where these holes are in the boot, I've removed the boot seal and run a bead of silicone around the boot and replaced the rubber back over it. If this isn't successful I want to find those holes and seal them up. But cannot see where they are from your picture. Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
They are gaps that you can see when you take the rubber seal. In the zoomed image, you can see in the yellow circle where two metal sheets are pressed together. That is the gap I sealed (there is another one on the left side), and it worked so far.

out.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
They are gaps that you can see when you take the rubber seal. In the zoomed image, you can see in the yellow circle where two metal sheets are pressed together. That is the gap I sealed (there is another one on the left side), and it worked so far.

View attachment 67963

out.
Thank you for that I can now see exactly where that is. I took the rubber off only down as far as the bottom corners, and sealed under the rubber which in theory will stop water getting in behind the seal in the first place, but I'll defiantly fill that bit as well. thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for that I can now see exactly where that is. I took the rubber off only down as far as the bottom corners, and sealed under the rubber which in theory will stop water getting in behind the seal in the first place, but I'll defiantly fill that bit as well. thanks again
Also just went out and sealed along the joint between the two panels as in your picture, I'll give it 24hrs to cure completely and give it a water test as no rain forecast for a few days. I'll report back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also just went out and sealed along the joint between the two panels as in your picture, I'll give it 24hrs to cure completely and give it a water test as no rain forecast for a few days. I'll report back.
OK an update. I put a hose on the car 24 hours after sealing and it rained overnight last night and the boot pan and tool area has stayed dry, hopefully that has solved it. Total cost of £3.15 :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

I joined this forum because I had the exact same problem (a flooding boot) with my F56 and wanted to share the solution I found.
I found the post from Migomes (red F56) and started looking from there.

Take a look at below picture.

Water was running behind the rear hatch seal (arrow 1). Eventually it made its way into the boot through a sort of ventilation hatch (no clue what it is) located behind the plastic tray (arrow 2). Water will only start running into the boot after serious amounts of water because it first starts building up behind the ventilation hatch first.

I didn't want to use silicone paste to solve this problem because this will not fix the root cause. It will only stop water from entering your boot, but the water behind the hatch seal will stay there and can cause corrosion in the long term I guess. I found that there was a lot of dirt behind the hatch seal. This was the cause that water could end up running behind the hatch seal. After removing and cleaning the seal the problem was solved.

I hope this helps you! Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

I joined this forum because I had the exact same problem (a flooding boot) with my F56 and wanted to share the solution I found.

View attachment 68006

Water was running behind the rear hatch seal (arrow 1). Eventually it made its way into the boot through a sort of ventilation hatch (no clue what it is) located behind the plastic tray (arrow 2). Water will only start running into the boot after serious amounts of water because it first starts building up behind the ventilation hatch first.

I didn't want to use silicone paste to solve this problem because this will not fix the root cause. It will only stop water from entering your boot, but the water behind the hatch seal will stay there and can cause corrosion in the long term I guess. I found that there was a lot of dirt behind the hatch seal. This was the cause that water could end up running behind the hatch seal. After removing and cleaning the seal the problem was solved.

Hi Franck,

Mine was exactly the same wet and dirty under the boot seal all the way around, I think the water works its way in from the top and moves down to the bottom (Point 1). That is why I sealed under the rubber which cannot be seen, to stop water getting under the seal at any point. If your fix works great but if it returns I recommend running a bead of sealant under the rubber then it will stay dry all the way around

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same thing here! What to do?

I noticed only yesterday that I was having the same issue. I keep my microfiber and shop towels in the cargo area under the flap, and when I reached for them for some cleaning, I realized that they were completely soaked. I initially though it was something that may have spilled back there and soaked through but the flap itself was completely dry on both sides. Emptying the cargo area, I noticed that the floor pad was semi wet and lifting it up I found the toolkit area with roughly 3" of water, so I removed the plug and I am letting it air dry.

I am a bit dismayed on what happened (as many of you, from what I can gather from the post). Fortunately, I don't see any visible rust but I don't want to have to wonder if the trunk of my car is flooding or not. Do you guys know where the water is coming from? From the hatch? From the underbody? I am positive if I bring it to the shop, they will tell me that they can't repro the flood... so I want to be armed with more knowledge regarding this before going to them.

Many Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I just found that I had 3 inches of water in the toolkit well after heavy rains, and mold growing underneath both cover panels!!

Pulled the rubber plug and drained it, mopped up everything and used a shop vac to get as much water and mold out.

I thought that maybe it was my fault by leaving the hatch open at some point, but unlikely. Next rain, sure enough - small amount of water in the tool well, and again the panel above it was wet.

I will be taking a hose to it tomorrow to see if I can reproduce the problem, and maybe see where it's leaking. Also best to be able to reproduce it so the dealer can see the issue first hand...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m just reading up on this trunk flooding issue because I just experienced the same thing. My trunk and toolkit area are flooded and I don’t have any clue why besides some heavy rain. Did anyone find an answer to the cause? Is it a clog somewhere in the hatch, a drainage sun roof issue or taillights gaskets worn out? I’ve read a few fixes and caused and was wondering if you guys/gals agreed on one cause? Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Franck,

Mine was exactly the same wet and dirty under the boot seal all the way around, I think the water works its way in from the top and moves down to the bottom (Point 1). That is why I sealed under the rubber which cannot be seen, to stop water getting under the seal at any point. If your fix works great but if it returns I recommend running a bead of sealant under the rubber then it will stay dry all the way around
Thanks! Will keep that in mind. It stayed completely dry the last week under rainy weather conditions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sharing this in case it's useful because I couldn't find any posts online from someone with this problem who has an AUC warranty-
I have a 2015 F56, bought just under a year ago with a 12 month approved used car warranty. Two weeks back I found everything in the lower boot compartment to be soaking wet, with parts of the toolkit corroded and a couple of inches of standing water in the toolkit area. I took the car back to Mini, who diagnosed a leak through the boot seal, and of course seals aren't covered under an AUC warranty. Cost of repair was quoted as £2000, but they agreed to cover the vast majority of it and charged me £150. I brought the car back today with a new type of boot seal that they 'know doesn't leak', new toolkit, and all carpets throughout the car replaced as apparently they had also gotten wet under the seats. I'm not sure how long water had been leaking into the boot but I was reassured there is no corrosion to the car as a result.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

I have the same problem with leaking. I found out that there is water in toolkit area 2 weeks ago and let drained it through the plug.
I took out lower mats and toolkit from the trunk and left it like that so i can follow how it acts since there is a lot of rain here in Croatia lately. So the water is definitely coming through boot doors. Past weekend i did not drive the car and left it in the parking on the rain, and it filled with decent amount of water (you can see in the attached picture)

So my question for Franck, did you remove all the plastics and side panels like Migomes did, or you just removed the rubber seal and cleaned it and returned it back? If you had to remove the plastics, do you maybe have car manual which shows the right way to remove it or you did it just by trying? I just do not want to break any of the plastics or side panels if i have to remove them!

And also the most important question, does it works and keeps boot dry or it leaked again?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just saw this at a mini dealer, they are replacing everything, including seals, leak testing , stripping back the corrosion and recoating . Assuming it looks ok when I go back I will take it, but if not then I won’t . They seemed to be aware of the issue and how to fix, this car had just come from another dealer about an hour before I got there . I can only assume the previous owner didn’t notice as rest of car is spotless

61 - 80 of 86 Posts