Mini Cooper Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with leaking. I found out that there is water in toolkit area 2 weeks ago and let drained it through the plug.
I took out lower mats and toolkit from the trunk and left it like that so i can follow how it acts since there is a lot of rain here in Croatia lately. So the water is definitely coming through boot doors. Past weekend i did not drive the car and left it in the parking on the rain, and it filled with decent amount of water (you can see in the attached picture)

View attachment 68035

So my question for Franck, did you remove all the plastics and side panels like Migomes did, or you just removed the rubber seal and cleaned it and returned it back? If you had to remove the plastics, do you maybe have car manual which shows the right way to remove it or you did it just by trying? I just do not want to break any of the plastics or side panels if i have to remove them!

And also the most important question, does it works and keeps boot dry or it leaked again?
Hi, you need to remove the plastic part which is visible in the picture I posted (arrow 2 is pointing at it) you can remove it by taking out the 3 or 4 plastic plugs which you can see from the inside. After removing those you can just pull the plastic part off.

And yes! Cleaning behind the seal solved my problem. The boot has stayed dry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought that maybe it was my fault by leaving the hatch open at some point, but unlikely. Next rain, sure enough - small amount of water in the tool well, and again the panel above it was wet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm now noticing the same issue with my 2015 Mini Cooper. This is a new issue as it's been dry the duration I've owned this car. Has anyone's waranty covered this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm now noticing the same issue with my 2015 Mini Cooper. This is a new issue as it's been dry the duration I've owned this car. Has anyone's waranty covered this?
I wrote an e-mail directly to Mini in Germany and they answered through my dealer in Croatia that there was no recalls for my car and that i can bring the car in and they will check where it is leaking but since car is out of warranty i would have to pay for it. So i decided i will just do it myself in spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For months I’ve been reading about the chronic F56 Mini boot leak problem because I’m another unhappy customer.
I bought my Cooper S new in June 2017 and the bootwell has been filling up on a regular basis.
Interesting posts, but I couldnt find any answers in the Forum.
Now I can offer some hope:
In my view, dealers will tell you “it’s the boot seal” because replacing the seal is seen as a positive course of action. But for me it was a complete waste of time because the new seal wasn’t being tested properly. This happened to me twice - after the first rain it happened all over again.
The answer (hopefully) in my case now appears to be the replacement of the o/s light cluster together with all seals etc. It’s been dry inside for some weeks after plenty of rain and hose testing.
Don’t give up. Good luck!
For months I’ve been reading about the chronic F56 Mini boot leak problem because I’m another unhappy customer.
I bought my Cooper S new in June 2017 and the bootwell has been filling up on a regular basis.
Interesting posts, but I couldnt find any answers in the Forum.
Now I can offer some hope:
In my view, dealers will tell you “it’s the boot seal” because replacing the seal is seen as a positive course of action. But for me it was a complete waste of time because the new seal wasn’t being tested properly. This happened to me twice - after the first rain it happened all over again.
The answer (hopefully) in my case now appears to be the replacement of the o/s light cluster together with all seals etc. It’s been dry inside for some weeks after plenty of rain and hose testing.
Don’t give up. Good luck!
Follow up on my previous post. It’s not been solved. Ive had further problems throughout 2019. In my case we thought the o/s/r light cluster replacement was the answer but in fact it seems it was the dry weather! Latest news - we are now being told (Feb 2020) that there has been a production line problem and there are 3 areas around the tailgate bodywork where water is getting through - 2 faults near the hinges and another just below the rear window glass. It seems to me the dealers are following a strategy of denial.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Follow up on my previous post. It’s not been solved. Ive had further problems throughout 2019. In my case we thought the o/s/r light cluster replacement was the answer but in fact it seems it was the dry weather! Latest news - we are now being told (Feb 2020) that there has been a production line problem and there are 3 areas around the tailgate bodywork where water is getting through - 2 faults near the hinges and another just below the rear window glass. It seems to me the dealers are following a strategy of denial.
This is really depressing and there is clearly a problem, its poor form that BMW won't admit it. Where did the information about the production line problem come from?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2002 Mini One has had a leak in boot for many years, only bad after heavy rain. I think I have traced it to poor quality seal on top brake light. I undid the three screws holding it in on inside of boot and removed brake light, the chrome reflectors were very corroded and part of light seal was inside boot structure. To do a good job I ordered new light fitting off eBay and fitted. NB if water gets past this light it will run down inside of boot and pop out on door seal in centre of boot, hence people have assumed door seal problem. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
two rainstorms and a thorough dousing with a hose. No leak now.

I found that the rear hatch area is quite accommodating lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found like 3 inches of heater and the whole back wet. Reading the threads here’s what I don’t understand with this “problem”. How did they install a rubber stopper in a location where there isn’t supposed to be water? They anticipated a problem before the problem exhausted? Genius. Sarcastic.

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
925 Posts
I just found like 3 inches of heater and the whole back wet. Reading the threads here’s what I don’t understand with this “problem”. How did they install a rubber stopper in a location where there isn’t supposed to be water? They anticipated a problem before the problem exhausted? Genius. Sarcastic.
Lots of cars have a rubber grommet in the boot well, maybe it's in case you put something in the boot and it spills - makes it easier to drain out (shopping containing pop, etc?)

·
Registered
65 Posts
In some models (including my Cooper), the rubber grommet is removed to allow for the fitting of the spare wheel (which is placed underneath the car and secured via the hole in the boot).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81 - 92 of 92 Posts