Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tonight, I had 108 degrees Celsius (230 degrees Farhenheit) on the instrument sport of GPS and engine cooling fan that turned thoroughly.

But outside it was 6 degrees Celsius (43 degrees Farhenheit) and I was not driving fast.

On the meter indicated the temperature was "OK" and I didn't have an error message on the dashboard.

Someone has already had the problem?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Once the car warms up that is normally where my temperature is. I use the Connect sport instruments and once warmed up mine shows 222F.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once the car warms up that is normally where my temperature is. I use the Connect sport instruments and once warmed up mine shows 222F.

222E is too hot in my opinion, at this temperature the water is boiling.

In my scenario I drove cool and it was cold outside.
I go back to the car and two after I still 194F. this is not normal, the electronics or sensor should be defective.

·
Registered
478 Posts
And ? i don't inderstand.

I opened the water tank and the water was not boiling.
There was even pressure on the water tank cap.
The water doesn't boil at 108C because the coolant system is under pressure. The higher the pressure the higher the temperature can be without the water boiling. The expansion tank water will be at the same pressure as the rest of the coolant system, but it will be cooler because it does not form part of the circulation system, so I am not surprised it wasn't boiling.

Opening the cap can be dangerous, so be careful. If the engine was really hot you would be hard pushed to keep the pressure under control as the cap is released, and this can also be followed with steam and hot water.

108C is about right for normal running temperature.

I guess there is nothing wrong, but the dealer will be able to test the temperature with a IR thermometer to check it

·
Registered
478 Posts
Is it the fan running or the electric cooling pump? From a quick look at the parts diagrams the Cooper S has an electric and mechanical water pump, also the turbo is water cooled, so its possible you are hearing the electric water pump taking the heat out of the turbo when the engine is switched off.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm not seeing a problem with the car. 230F is the correct operating temperature for this engine.

Is it just that you don't want the fan running? What exactly is the concern? If you're driving slow or stuck in traffic, of course the fan has to run to cool the engine.

·
Registered
199 Posts
222E is too hot in my opinion, at this temperature the water is boiling.....
Ah here's the problem. Your opinion doesn't match how physics operate. Let's roughly assume the pressure cap is set for 1.1 bar. That means 2.1 bar absolute, which equates to a 100% water boiling temp of 121C [250F]. Now, our cars don't run 100% water, they have about 50% anti-freeze, which raises the boiling point approximately another 10C to 131C. As such, your concerns are unfounded.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ride on small road or highway, on my old mini fan lit in summer or so when I drove fast and hard. I am surprised that the works because it is 6C outside and I ride calmly.

I switched to BMW and he assures me that this is normal, this is part of the energy saving cycle, so it does not seem to be any problem even if it seems I'm the only one on the forum this behavior in the functioning of the fan.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.