Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New one from Motorfile.

We’ve not been shy for our excitement about the new F56 JCW. Equally we (along with most of you) have not been shy our dislike of the standard wheels that come with the car. Luckily MINI does have an option that manages to look fantastic – almost as nice as the NM Engineering RSe 12s we’re currently running on our long term Cooper S. However until now we haven’t had a chance to see them actually on a car and in the flesh. Along with this MINI also has a number of JCW accessories that (potentially) enhance the look and performance that have been hard to find at best.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2015/05/28/mini-jcw-accessories-real-life-photos/#more-40638

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
You know, the more I think about the wheel design, I believe the major problem with the JCW wheels is that the offset needs to be high (ET54 or whatever it is) to keep the tires inside the wheel wells...this is likely due to the extended front hubs & spindles "outward" due to the front wheel drive configuration. Then, add those huge Brembo brakes and you have a problem from a design standpoint coming up with a wheel that "clears" the brake rotors and calipers. So, the wheels end up being "convex" instead of typical "concave" or flat inset with larger lip design. The mesh part of the wheel simply needs to be pushed "outward" to clear all the mechanicals. As they are, they "barely" clear the Brembos if you look close..it's a tight fit!

This design is inherently "not pleasing to the eye", since it is totally opposite of the typical racing wheel designs.

The wheels in the above photo look better, have more open area, but they are still convex in design.

The design that looks best eventually will clear the brake rotors, yet have a smaller offset number, say ET35 or ET40, not ET54. Typical BMW stock wheel offsets are in the ET20 to ET30 range, but those are for rear wheel drive cars, not front wheel drive.

The wheels for the MCS look much better, and they are front wheel drive, so that tells me the Brembos and the rotor design, including the larger 2.0 Liter engine in the JCW with its beefed up drivetrain must be the reason for this anolomy.

Time will tell. In the meantime, designers will just have to make do designing around the brake mechanicals when designing wheels for the new JCW.....it will be fun to see what they come up with next year. I just hope they don't de-tune the car to make more standard wheels fit, because the JCW is indeed "special" and I can live with the funky wheels! Besides, the Cup Spokes aren't that bad. At least they are 18" diameter, which looks so much better on the new MINI body (which looks like the Gen 2 on steroids)! 18's look so much better imo!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts