Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I LOVE my 2022 SE. No exaggeration. But that does not mean I don't have a few minor complaints. What are yours?

1) Active Cruise Control follow distance: remember last setting.

2) Regenerative braking: remember last setting (Bimmercode option, I think?)

3) Seat belt reminder is too loud and long (Bimmercode option) - it drowns out the cool morse code start-up sound if you forget to belt first.

4) Unable to exit the car and leave drive-ready state active. After getting Carplay running and drive mode set, etc., you cannot make a quick run into the house for your forgotten glasses or whatever. (FYI - the following works like a charm to fool the car into believing you are still belted and seated - Bottle Opener)

5) Battery gauge is based on eights rather than tenths. Seems to be an ICE hold over design.

6) Would be nice to have an optional indicator light for when your brake lights are on.

7) The GOM is too conservative. I think it could be a little more aggressive without stranding too many drivers. Or perhaps even a software option to turn on a more aggressive algorithm!

·
Super Moderator
7,714 Posts
Am with you on 4 and 7 although we don't have 1as we are L1. From a safety point I can see why 4 is as is and 7 is best as is when you understand how it works. Better charge than be sorry!
I simply can't sit in a car without putting my belt on so not an issue ever for me.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
294 Posts
Sadly 1 isn’t on the 2020 version but would be nice to have. 2, agree why not just have a switch that latches the user setting. 3 is probably regional as the warning only comes on in the uk when you start to drive above a certain speed. I’m with JB though, first thing I do when I get in a car. 4 this is a pain as each time I get the car out of the garage I have to switch off or annoy the neighbours with the binging!! 5 agreed but I tend to use the actual % indicator. 6 would certainly be a good idea even if it’s just a simple indicator even if only in high regen. Agree with 7 as it seems easier to understand a dark art than understand how Mini have worked it out.

So when you start the car you have to have your foot on the brake to engage drive and disengage the handbrake yet when you’re driving you don’t. I can see why the you need it for the handbrake but why for to select drive. Probably just me!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would like to see an option to toggle regen into off as coasting can be very efficient plus it would also allow people like me who hate with a passion the fact every little regen use puts brake lights on, no way is it related to g force as I was told. I actually wonder if mini applies the brake pads during regen to activate brake lights as soon as needle touches the charge block.
I would also like to see better climate control from app giving you the option to change the temperature setting from the app. And better trip data in the car showing each trip kWh consumption and also put each trip data in the new app as it shows very little data compared to old app.
Finally the addition of Android auto which surprises me why mini are about the only vehicle manufacturer that doesn't put it in their vehicles.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Cooper SE (Level 2)
98 Posts
I would like to see an option to toggle regen into off as coasting can be very efficient plus it would also allow people like me who hate with a passion the fact every little regen use puts brake lights on, no way is it related to g force as I was told. I actually wonder if mini applies the brake pads during regen to activate brake lights as soon as needle touches the charge block.
Coasting would negate the recharge benefit. From memory low regen braking is equivalent to .11g and full regen .19g. The brake lights are activated via a switch when depressing the conventional brake pedal and not by pad movement. With regen braking the lights are activated electronically when the motor goes into dynamo mode.

Alan

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yes, I love my Mini SE too! It's one of the most fun cars I've ever had!

1) My 2021 model hasn't got Active Cruise Control and as I'm not a fan of driver aids that's no problem. I do however like the speed limit assist so one press drops the limiter say from 60 mph to 30 mph.
2) The default to maximum regen suits me as 99% of the time that's what I use. I only use the lower regen once a week or after rain to keep the discs clean.
3) As @Stuts11 says the seat belt reminder doesn't come on in the UK until you reach 10/15 mph so if you put your seat belt on it's never a problem.
4) Yes the ready state gong is a pain got to agree with you on that one but it is what it is.
5) I use the percentage figure so not a problem for me.
6) I've followed my wife driving the Mini for twenty miles or so on country roads and didn't notice any excessive brake light illumination and she wasn't hanging about!
7) We know the GOM is useless, I just use the percentage charge remaining and know that this time of year that equates to 1.4 or so miles per percent remaining. I'm talking to my dealer at the moment to see if he can find out if there maybe a software update in the future.

If there had been an opportunity to tick a box for electric seats I would have ticked it in a heartbeat! My wife has the drivers seat at max height and 4/5 clicks nearer the wheel than me!
If I don't pump the seat down and slide it back I can't get in without banging my head! I'm not tall by any means but a memory electric driver's seat would be a great!

The remote climate control is a joy. I find the heating in winter and cooling in summer works just great as it is for me. We went out this morning in 30* heat and set the remote climate a few minutes before we went out and the car was lovely and cool by the time we got in.

None of these things we don't like has put me off the car. The shear joy of driving it down country roads, blowing boy racers, Audis and BMWs off at the lights or roundabouts far outweighs any slightly negative points just ask JB!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Coasting would negate the recharge benefit. From memory low regen braking is equivalent to 1.1g and full regen 1.7g. The brake lights are activated via a switch when depressing the conventional brake pedal and not by pad movement. With regen braking the lights are activated electronically when the motor goes into dynamo mode.

Alan
That's exactly why I would like regen off mode, I believe on certain parts of my journeys I could get even better effiency using coasting plus you may be happy with brake lights coming on regardless of how they activate them but I'm not, it looks like I'm a bad driver in my opinion and I personally would like an option to stop this happening every time I lift off the power. As to the g force side from mini that's rubbish as I still get brake lights when I'm slightly ticking the power but due gradient of road the needle will just touch very top of charge block and no way it's anywhere near those g force readings so your more likely correct it's as soon as car has even the slightest of regen it puts brake lights on. I'm not sure if something changed in facelift version which I have because when I test drove it was the older style and it didn't seem to show brake lights in low level regen.

·
Registered
2020 Cooper SE (Level 2)
98 Posts
Going back to nit picking, does anyone else find the transmission selector illogical? To me pushing the lever forwards to go forwards and pulling it backwards to go backwards would make much more sense. Even after 4 months of ownership I still have to think about which way to push the lever. Perhaps I'm a slow learner!

I appreciate that Minis are not unique in this respect.

Alan

·
Registered
72 Posts
Going back to nit picking, does anyone else find the transmission selector illogical? To me pushing the lever forwards to go forwards and pulling it backwards to go backwards would make much more sense. Even after 4 months of ownership I still have to think about which way to push the lever. Perhaps I'm a slow learner!

Alan
It would make more sense the other way round but it's like automatic gearboxes that you have to go past reverse into drive with the same thought process that reverse should be further back, or are we driving them the wrong way round lol

·
Registered
435 Posts

Alan
Yes, I agree totally illogical! Our X5 is exactly the same and we've had two years to get used to it that's why I'm pleased the Mini is the same!

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
61 Posts
OK, I'm going to add a new one which happened to me on the journey back home from collecting it today, both down our country lanes, and reversing it down my drive.
On our rural roads, mostly single track, I have to quite often reverse back to a passing place.
Today, my first day, I found that whenever I select reverse, the passenger wing mirror tilts downwards to look at the verge.....
I don't know who in BMW dreamt that up but I actually want to see where the passing place is when reversing towards it, not a view of Englands wildlife or dumped rubbish in the verge.

I have been through the manual and all the on screen menus and cannot see any way of preventing it and although I've got the reversing camera, I've never trusted them, I'm old skool and I choose to use mirrors - that look back down the road, not at the ground.

·
Registered
72 Posts
OK, I'm going to add a new one which happened to me on the journey back home from collecting it today, both down our country lanes, and reversing it down my drive.
On our rural roads, mostly single track, I have to quite often reverse back to a passing place.
Today, my first day, I found that whenever I select reverse, the passenger wing mirror tilts downwards to look at the verge.....
I don't know who in BMW dreamt that up but I actually want to see where the passing place is when reversing towards it, not a view of Englands wildlife or dumped rubbish in the verge.

I have been through the manual and all the on screen menus and cannot see any way of preventing it and although I've got the reversing camera, I've never trusted them, I'm old skool and I choose to use mirrors - that look back down the road, not at the ground.
It's just your switch on drivers door that needs moving across for wing mirrors

·
Registered
2020 Cooper SE (Level 2)
98 Posts
If the mirror adjustment switch is set to the position for adjusting the passenger side mirror the mirror won't move when reverse is selected.

Alan

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
61 Posts
OK, that makes sense.

Before leaving the main agent I adjusted drivers side first, then passenger, so my switch will currently be passenger.

I have to go out tommorow so I'll see.

But it just still seems a wierd feature to implement - and it isn't anywhere I can find in the manual....

·
Registered
2020 Cooper SE (Level 2)
98 Posts
Page 93 of the manual refers. Initially I got it the wrong way round in my earlier post but have corrected with an edit, sorry!

Alan

1 - 20 of 29 Posts