Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, 99% of us will report "nothing, go away!". But in the midst of all the love on this board for our awesome MINIs, surely there must be a few little annoyances that irk people. Time to bring balance to the board, people!

I'll start with the obvious one: Why do we have to switch Driving Mode to Sport Every. Freaking. Time.? Why can't the thing remember the mode like it does 5,000 other far less impactful setting? I have a callus on my finger from hitting the Sport button every time I started my R56 for two years.

Every now and then I forgot to hit Sport and momentarily freaked out that something was wrong with the car.

Think of the humanity, MINI! Save the Driving Mode!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coupled ambient/instrument lighting

I have not received my F56 yet, so this may be an invalid complaint, but here goes:

On the R56, the ambient lighting was coupled to the instrument lighting. The only way to control the brightness of either one meant that the brightness of the other was also affected.

I like the ambient light, and preferred it fairly bright. But to get that I had to dial up the instrument lights so bright that I had Orange Fever and could barely see the road. So I turned it down, and alas, feeble ambient light. D'oh!

Does the F56 lighting work the same? Or can the instrument lighting be adjusted separate from the ambient lighting?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Regarding the heating, I have my Scangauge set up to indicate the engine coolant temperature, among other things, and I have noticed that it seems to take a longer distance than I am used to to reach normal running temperature.

My last car reached operating temperature in about half the distance that the Mini takes, so the heater will take longer to be effective too.

I am referring to a 1.5l Cooper.
Well, this is a brand new engine.

I read somewhere that for efficiency's sake the coolant and oil pumps are not run all the time, or maybe not as hard, only when and as much as needed. Since the interior heating depends on hot coolant being run through a heat exchanger, if there's no hot coolant available, or not enough, then the passenger compartment will not get as much warm air as one in a less nerdy car might.

I suspect that some of the complaints about the climate control not providing heat for a long time are related to this. And also who knows what temp the thermostat opens on the new engines (no interior heat until the thermostat opens-- when the coolant gets hot enough to require heat transfer via the radiator)? It may well be that the new engines simply open at a much higher temp than before, one only reached after 10 minutes or so of driving.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 · (Edited)
I am not doubting what has been said, but an on demand water pump, unless electric or using some sort of fluid thermo controlled clutch I don't know how that would work, should cause a much quicker warm up and hence better economy and quicker heater response.
I don't know about that. It seems to me that it matters not what kind of pump is used, rather the threshold temperature at which the pump is energized. Or the temp the thermostat is set to.

Maybe coolant is not circulated until the engine really warms up? That would jive with your statement that a quick warm-up is desired; there's nothing quicker-warming than a system where the heat exchangers are isolated. If no coolant is going through the radiator, then it isn't going through the heater core, either.

Once warmed up, it could be that the efficiency of the cooling system is so great that there is not a lot of leftover heat to transfer to the cabin. The existence of an on-demand water pump implies that this is at least a possibility. If the pump is not running, and the heater core is fed from the output of the radiator, it would take very little time for the coolant to lose significant heat. The result would be less heat available for the cabin.

Or it could be that the heater core is really puny (gotta fit all that infotainment hardware someplace!). Low surface area, coupled with a cabin air filter, there just ain't that much airflow.

It would be great if a BMW engineer could chime in on this. Hello? Internet?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
That's a shame for you. There's so much choice on the configuration it's easy to overlook something. I spent ages online then with my dealer and then refining it for about a week after that. Wife blames me for the salesperson then leaving !!!!!
You have to watch out when ordering. There are so many choices that it's super easy to mess it up. Especially in the UK, you guys seem to have a fair number of "gotchas" built into the configurator.

My MINI sales guy was very careful to verify my choices and made sure I understood exactly what I was getting. Even though I ordered a very basic car, there were a few things I absolutely could not live without. The care and attention of the MINI guy really paid off and I think I got what I wanted.

Of course I'm freaking out that the factory forgot to put in the Sport Suspension or something equally unlikely. Deep Cleansing Breath...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
If you see the factory as long as the order processed by the dealer is right I can't imagine them getting it wrong. It's amazing and totally computer driven. At each station a transceiver on the nose of the car is read which drives what is installed. Amazing .
I've been watching the Factory videos. Fascinating. I wish I could visit the Oxford plant. Maybe in a few years.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Why does the "recycle air" button only stay on for 2 to 5 minutes (unless the A/C is also on)? I have an hour commute, that's a lot of repressing the button (usually when I start choking on truck exhaust)
I think the car is trying to protect itself from the stinky humans that drive it. It will let you recirculate only so long before it decides you have outgassed quite enough and opens the vents. The system apparently detects pollutants and engages recirculate mode by itself; I wonder if it also detects whether the bean-eating occupants have had enough time stewing in their gases and opens up the vent to let some fresh air in?

According to the US manual, page 128:

Recirculated-air mode
You can respond to unpleasant odors or pollutants
in the immediate environment by temporarily
suspending the supply of outside air. The
system then recirculates the air currently within
the vehicle.

Press the button repeatedly to select
an operating mode:
▷ LED off: outside air flows in continuously.
▷ LED on, recirculated-air mode: the supply
of outside air into the vehicle is permanently
blocked.

Recirculated air mode switches off automatically
at low external temperatures after a certain
amount of time in order to window fogging.

If the windows fog over, switch off recirculatedair
mode and increase the air flow, if necessary.

Continuous recirculated-air mode
The recirculated-air mode should not be
used for an extended period of time, as the air
quality inside the vehicle deteriorates steadily.

The car is too clever for its own good. I am amazed that it thinks it's too cold in freaking phoenix where the temp lately has been relatively toasty during the day.

Also, page 131:

Automatic recirculated-air control/
recirculated-air mode

You can respond to unpleasant odors or pollutants
in the immediate environment by temporarily
suspending the supply of outside air. The
system then recirculates the air currently within
the vehicle.

Press the button repeatedly to select
an operating mode:
▷ LEDs off: outside air flows in continuously.
Left LED on, automatic recirculated-air control:
a sensor detects pollutants in the outside
air and controls the shutoff automatically.

▷ Right LED on, recirculated-air mode: the
supply of outside air into the vehicle is permanently
blocked.

Recirculated air mode switches off automatically
at low external temperatures after a certain
amount of time in order to window fogging.

What I take away from that is the system will detect that you're stuck behind the fume-spewing truck and automagically switch to recirculated mode. Have you tried Auto mode (left LED on)? Does it actually work?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Agree totally, I am disappointed with my car, I didn't order a lot of extra's but I feel that the dealer should have offered more advise, the process is compounded because you rarely see a basic car for comparison and it is difficult to tell from the configurator alone.When I get a chance I will post some pictures to help other people. Don't get me wrong still love the car but always have a disappointed feeling about what might have been had I spec'd it better.
Sorry to hear you're disappointed with the outcome of the speccing process. Not that it helps but at least you're still getting an awesome car, no matter how mal-customized it might be.

That's the dark side of such customization capability. Unless we're experts (or have experts looking after us) right at the beginning, we run the risk of not getting what we want. It tends to mask the fact that bottom line, the cars are still great.

If the only customization choice was, say color, I expect there'd be some kvetching about the lack of ability to spec different wheels or add a sun roof. But the aftermarket would fill the void for those who want a custom car. That's been the way it worked for most of my life; this super-customization capability is a new (and arguably dangerous) tool.

Good luck, and I hope you can let it go and just enjoy what you have. On the next, car, you will be the expert, right?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Sorry I have to disagree. I spent ages with the options deciding with pros and cons what I wanted in a car and what I could manage without. If I was unsure well that's when I asked my dealer for a comparison, and on the whole they obliged.. Surely you set a price you can afford then spec it accordingly.with as much as you can,according to your priorities The advantages of the configuration far outweigh the cons and is another reason why I love my car so much.I'd hate to go back to the, this is the l. Hl hlx and be getting stuff I really didn't want for the sake of something else. You just have to do the research. Buying a car is a big thing.Buying a mini is better! I have the car I expected and wanted. Had I had a bit more cash, and I hadn't, I would have had leather.
I'm not anti-customization. Like you, I had my price and configured my way around it. The configuration process was an obsessive deal for me, to the point where it consumed a significant portion of a week's time. But I knew what I wanted, and configured the snot out of that car. I feel like I got the best car for my money out of the process.

My point is that the customization potential for these cars, while a blessing, is also a potential trap for people who aren't as obsessive about it as we are.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
I have to admit that I was concerned when I was customizing my F55, to the extent that like uke I spent way too much time obsessing about what I would and wouldn't get and if I would feel like I had missed out when I got the car and it was too late to change my mind.

In the end I basically loaded it with everything available other than the adaptive dampers. I figured why not its my first new new car lets go nuts! :)
I was so tempted to do the same. But I quickly realized that I would become the proud owner of a $45,000 car if I did that :eek:

SWMBO would have extracted my innards and used them for a hanging rope if I tried that.

But I still sporadically go into the configurator and build the dream MINI to this day. Maybe it's time to win the lottery...

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Ive thought this too, its riddiculously big for what it is
The fuel gauge really does let the whole dash down, poor aesthetically and nasty and cheap. Especially as the on board computer tells you exactly how far you have to go on the current tank, anyway.
I have to say I miss my cheeses of the r56 but really quite like how it sticks out and its nice and clear!
Yes, it looks nasty and cheap.. Why they couldn't have a modern/classic needle type, incorporated into the dials. Reminiscent of the classic Mini
Oh come on. It wouldn't be a MINI without some goofy, infuriating weirdness in the cockpit. I give the designers kudos for pushing back, albeit clumsily, against the gentrification of BMW.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
The looks, obviously. Honestly, I'm trying so hard to get beyond the goofy design of the Mk3 but every time I see one it gets worse. What the **** were those Germans thinking? Proportions have been shot to pieces - looks like it needs a slap round the face and a kick in the ass, for good measure. Sorry, you know it's the truth.
I actually really like the looks of the car. I bet that if the F56 was the first "new" MINI, and just plopped down out of nowhere, people would be raving about it (other than the traditional Mini folk, of course). The F56 is still the cutest and most stylish car out there, IMHO. And the fact that it drives so competently adds to the charm.

Yeah, it's bigger than the R56. But it's a much better car, too.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
I think the start/stop function should be off as standard and turn it on if you want it on. Cant stand it. USB player that will put all the no.1s from the albums first then the no. 2s and so on, so you cant play a whole album, anybody know how to sort this?
There was another thread a while ago that discussed how USB plays albums. Try searching for it, it may help you out.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
My comment was probably too blunt and reflected my personal dilemma about the design. I find it to be extremely color/spec sensitive, but it can look cool and I'm excited about all the other improvements they've made - especially the new engines.
As the thread's creator, this is exactly what I was looking for-- Honest opinions from people, many of whom know the cars far better than any reviewer. I wanted to know what the dings and gotchas were, and figured that would be a useful resource for people contemplating a purchase. The forum is blatantly biased and oozing unbridled affection for the cars (get a room, people!), but that's OK. I was just trying to provide a place where we could complain about the warts.

Your post was kind of startling-- It's like telling parents their children are ugly and stupid to boot-- but it was literally something you dislike about the car. I for one was not offended in the least. Thanks for contributing, and welcome aboard.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.