Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
I could do without the TPMS. Certainly a system that uses internal sensors.

Not Mini's fault, the powers that be insist that it must be fitted to all new cars but cost wise it has screwed up my winter wheels/tyres economics. I can not really justify having a second set of sensors and I don't want to swap tyres over on the same rims.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have read that the Cooper S is not so well balanced as the non S due to the heavier weight of the 4 cylinder engine, which could contribute to more understeer and perhaps heavier feeling steering if it has not be reprogrammed to suit the heavier engine.
I have only driven my Cooper which handles and steers beautifully, so have no first hand experience of the S, so the above may be rubbish!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have noticed the Cooper I test drove seemed to have much brisker acceleration than the car I eventually took home.
I am perfectly happy with the car I have, it is as quick as I need and the economy is good, but I do wonder if the demo cars may have been software enhanced to make them more appealing performance wise. I didn't even know about the sport mode then, but it still went like a rocket straight from the off!
Probably just my imagination...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Do without on the winters, it's only for the sake of a few months!
That would be an answer if someone could reassure me that having no sensors will not cause the ECU to think there is a problem and shut down systems like cruise control, sport mode etc as it thinks the car is in an unsafe condition if it can not get a signal from the TPMS sensors.

There is some doubt about this, otherwise I would use unsensored wheels just for the winter.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My Cooper petrol has a light buzz/chatter from the lever, sometimes, when accelerating briskly in third gear, which can be lessened by holding the lever.

Maybe a stronger retaining ring would help but last time I checked they are not available in the UK.

If it gets worse or permanent I'll see the dealer about it, but I know it will never do it with the dealer watching, at the moment.

·
Registered
890 Posts
When I read the road tests by magazines of the new Minis before I bought mine, they all commented on the "offset pedals", which could also be "offset steering wheel" depending on how you look at it.

Can't say I have noticed it though, and it certainly doesn't affect the driving enjoyment.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Regarding the heating, I have my Scangauge set up to indicate the engine coolant temperature, among other things, and I have noticed that it seems to take a longer distance than I am used to to reach normal running temperature.

My last car reached operating temperature in about half the distance that the Mini takes, so the heater will take longer to be effective too.

I am referring to a 1.5l Cooper.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I am not doubting what has been said, but an on demand water pump, unless electric or using some sort of fluid thermo controlled clutch I don't know how that would work, should cause a much quicker warm up and hence better economy and quicker heater response.

This is not the case, the warm up period is longer than I would expect.
Because of that the economy is noticeably less in the colder weather as the engine takes longer to reach its optimum running temperature, and short runs are definitely not a good idea for economy reasons if nothing else.

The engine does run at a higher than usual "normal" temperature, around 106 degrees Celcius once warmed up, which is good for efficiency, I just wish it would get there quicker!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hi, I just got my new mini F56 last few week. Couldn't figure out how to disable the start/stop function, is there a way to disable it all the time or make MINI remember the last driving mode?
The answer is no to both.
You have to make the choices and action them each time you start up.

On the speedo issue, I find I never look at mine as that is what the HUD is for.

So cars with the HUD could do with a bigger tachometer, or at least have the tacho. in front of the speedo and not hidden behind it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hi, just fitted alloys and winter tyres to ours without tpms sensors and run flat tyres. All is fine. You just need to confirm the fault by pressing the I button every time you start the car which just leaves a tyre warning symbol in the dash which is fine. Hope this helps
Yes, thanks for that Minimad!
Very interesting info.

(Which is the "I" button, by the way?. I have my ignorant hat on at the moment)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hi Derek yes you're missing the 1mph increments on the cruise,just press the button really gently for 1 mph increments harder for the 5 jumps. Brilliant system,and there is a little notch or detentions to help you.
I find it very hard to press it lightly enough to reliably get 1mph increments, usually it just jumps by 5mph so I end up messing about with the + and - buttons to try to zero in on the speed I want.
Not ideal really!

Apart from that it works beautifully.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Is that not a good thing?
If you left it on overnight by mistake and the wiper blade froze to the rear screen, you wouldn't want it coming on with the ignition, or it could damage the motor or blow a fuse.

It would be best if the switch reset to off, when the ignition was switched off, but that is more complicated!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've been flashed to get out of peoples way too many times this week.
There is no excuse for people behaving like that unless the person being flashed at is driving much slower than the conditions allow and/or well below the speed limit.

How rude!

Here I find my Cooper is treated with the respect is deserves and other cars keep a decent distance behind, although I do always either keep up with the traffic or the local speed limit, whichever is the greater. I don't overtake if I can avoid it, or tailgate others.

·
Registered
890 Posts
OK ... I'm going to be a spoiler. Other than the runflat tires, I'm pretty happy with the car. It's a lot of fun and I have yet to find something I do not like.
Have to agree,Minis have their foibles but they are just part of the cars character and quite livable with.
A dipstick would be useful and sensible, but the engine never seems to use oil anyway!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.