Mini Cooper Forum banner
21 - 40 of 849 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
My first annoyance on my 5 day old MC is that the sunroof screen doesn't latch. It keeps sliding back a few inches and the sun hits me in the eye. Thought I was missing something, but there doesn't seem to be a catch.

Also, the headlights are high OR low beams - not both. Why should the low beams go off when the high beams are on?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I don't like the way the hatch really slams shut unless you drop it form about 3cm.

Auto wipers are rubbish.

Auto lights are too sensitive.

Far too complicated to navigate things like the stereo.

There is no CD player, even though I hardly used it in my r56.

No dip stick. Need to burn fuel to check the level.

TPMS - totally OTT and an expense we don't need.

It needs washed!

This looks SO negative but I love my car ��

·
Registered
90 Posts
Getting a shower when opening the door after heavy rain is the only thing that's 'annoyed' me thus far.

I agree the fog light switches are in an awkward position, but I've had 1 instance of fog since getting the car so they're rarely used, the lights stay in auto mode otherwise.

Sport Mode and Stop/Start On/Off settings not being memorised is bit of a niggle but I honestly don't mind flicking them when I start the car, makes it a fun little procedure really.

That's it really.. Easily the most satisfied I've been with a car, which is a relief as it's the first one I've ever bought myself new!

Oh actually, one thing that maybe someone can shed some light on..

The 1-6 'preset' buttons. The dealer told me that each 'app' can have it's own set of presets. For example if you're on Radio, presets 1-6 will be radio stations, if you're on Phone, 1-6 will be phone numbers etc..

I tried this, by going through the 'Apps' and setting them up, but when I pressed '2' in Radio mode, expecting Radio 2 to come on, it ended up calling my mom!

Am I doing it wrong or did the dealer tell a fib?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Smithy,
I think you can only have six functions in total.

I have 5 radio stations and 1 to switch to my trip computer on the display.

If I am in phone mode, say just ended a call, and press button 6, it changes to the radio channel I have programmed there

·
Registered
734 Posts
Definitely the headlight and fog light controls... can't see them from the driving position so I have to learn them by touch.

The window defrost, heated windscreen and heated rear window controls are all very similar too.

Android support? What's that?

Generally though I love all the tech... my previous car was 16 years old, so auto anything is a luxury :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't like the way the hatch really slams shut unless you drop it form about 3cm.

Auto wipers are rubbish.

Auto lights are too sensitive.

Far too complicated to navigate things like the stereo.

There is no CD player, even though I hardly used it in my r56.

No dip stick. Need to burn fuel to check the level.

TPMS - totally OTT and an expense we don't need.

It needs washed!

This looks SO negative but I love my car ��
oh man, the hatch scared the **** out of me the first time I closed it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Heater? I wonder if mine has a heater? I'll have to check. My 62 MC Mk I had a heater but no fan so you had to be moving fast for heat to come out of the vent.

My pet peeve? New Mini Coopers are rare where I live (nearest dealer 100km away) so people keep coming up to me in parking lots to talk about the car and tell me about every British car they ever owned. Some of them move on to telling me about Citroens, Peugots, Renaults and other obscure crap I never heard of. It was amusing at first but now it's getting old.

The only thing worse is driving my vette where I have to fend off advances from 70 year old ex-Cougars who want to show me their "etchings".

·
Registered
307 Posts
Smithyithy
The preset buttons as far as I am aware can be used for shortcuts for anything.
I have one one button preset to display the power and torque screen and one for the mini excitement.. Just playing around with them at the moment to see what's available..

Regards

·
Registered
508 Posts
Side window smearing is a function of the styling and upright windscreen, so more airflow goes over the side windows than on more 'modernly'-styled cars.

It's a bit like claiming your stilettos aren't good for running.....

·
Registered
998 Posts
Side window smearing is a function of the styling and upright windscreen, so more airflow goes over the side windows than on more 'modernly'-styled cars.

It's a bit like claiming your stilettos aren't good for running.....
The smearing im talking about is caused by the inadequate door seals trapping dirt which spreads onto the glass when you open thr widow. Its nothing to do with the upright windscreen. The run off of water from the windscreen across the side windows has been fixed on the f56 with the introduction of a channel down the sides of the a pillar covers

·
Registered
30 Posts
They don't really seal they let water down the inside of the door and out the drain holes in the bottom,!not a problem for me at all.
The problem is with the calcium they put on the roads during the winter (at least here in Canada). It gets in the door too and causes all kinds of problems, including a completely white side window when you roll your window down and up. I also guess that the calcium can't be good for the mechanical and electric parts inside the door.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The rear hatch is pretty heavy for the amount of resistance it gives when shutting it. You pretty much have to drop it from a few inches from closed or it slams VERY hard.

The water on the roof after a rain comes right down on your head when your body weight hits the seat. Obviously the car tilts to the drivers side and all the water comes right down on you when you reach for the door to shut it. Very annoying.

I really liked the window switches in the center stack with toggle switches. Putting them on the door works fine but now it is like every other common car. Toggle switches are much cooler.

In green mode you don't get full cooling with AC and your heated seats don't get as hot as when you are in sport or mid mode. Seems like a stretch that those two things can make that much of a difference in fuel economy.

Other than that I absolutely love this car. I had a 2006 Cooper and a 2012 Cooper. This 2015 Cooper is so much better in almost every way than the last two generations. The 3 cylinder turbo is positively FANTASTIC.

·
Super Moderator
8,742 Posts
Iagree with the engine comments prowillys. What a sound. Like a Porsche. Fab. Cgingras think yourself lucky they use calcium. here in the uk they use salt which rusts everything. Motorbike will go to bed soon due to salt!, it's a nightmare!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Iagree with the engine comments prowillys. What a sound. Like a Porsche. Fab. Cgingras think yourself lucky they use calcium. here in the uk they use salt which rusts everything. Motorbike will go to bed soon due to salt!, it's a nightmare!
Calcium and salt have exactly the same effect and the same associated problems.

21 - 40 of 849 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.