Mini Cooper Forum banner
41 - 60 of 849 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,742 Posts
Ah well .thought it was uk councils being cheapskate. Just fitted my winter tyres btw and I can confirm that the mini APPEARS to be very very well undersealed and most of the underside has covers over it. They told us on the factory tour they use zinc impregnated steel and lots more aluminium bits on the suspension compared to the r56 .I never saw a rusty r56 so the f56 should fare even better!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sunroof diffuser is my niggle. Makes a load of noise at speed. I live in open-top country (Arizona) and this makes me want to keep the sunroof closed.

A couple of the things complained about - rain sensor wipers and automatic headlights - work very well for me. And the slide back screen for the sunroof stays put on my car. That shouldn't slide back.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
The arm rest really does get in the way of the controller. It's in a perfect spot for the elbow on long stretches on the freeway though. Bottom line... Wish I could I un-attach it and snap it back into place.
I'm not thrilled with the manual gear shifter. Far, far too loose for a sports car. The ball top is very uncomfortable. Also the throw should be a lot shorter. .... When will a short throw modification be available?
Finally, steering is a little loose for my taste.

On the plus side, the HUD is better than I expected. Very well placed and good visibility.
The car also feels very solid.

The biggest surprise? The difference between the different settings (sport, normal, green) is really a game changer. I thought it would be gimmicky and expected not much of a difference between settings, but that assumption was WAY off. The difference in acceleration (and fuel economy!) is remarkable. It's like 3 cars in one. Very well done.

All in all, I think this is a great car for the money.

·
Super Moderator
8,742 Posts
The acceleration is the same in the car is the same whether in normal or sports mode, it is just the throttle response (the sensitivity of the pedal) that is different.
Yes correct kenl but it's amazing how different th he modes feel I hate green. Feels sooo sluggish.

·
Super Moderator
8,742 Posts
Surprised 're your steering and gearbox comments ironsides. I love the feel v firm and grown up but of course tyres can affect steering. Gearbox is great. Steering less sharp than r56 but more refined I think. I just shift the armrest to the up or right back position all the time. Will only put it down on the motorway. It doesn't get in the way there!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Now this could be something im doing wrong but... Whats annoying is when im listening to the radio a telephone call comes through. After the call is finished i switch back to the radio and i find the volume as gone right back to silent.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mindo I can't say I have really experienced that problem, I am not 100% certain but I am fairly certain that when a call ends for me the radio/iPod volume is the same as it was before the call. But im pretty sure you can change the default volume when the car is started or when you get interruptions like that. Might be worth checking your volume settings and seeing if there's something you can tweak.

·
Registered
160 Posts
it looks like I'm joining the party quite late.

A couple of things that annoy me;

The brakes. My previous Golf 6 had really positive brakes, I drove a new Fiesta that had absolutely killer brakes, I have driven quite a few courtesy cars lately, two of which being BMW 1 series and JCW Countryman and both have really positive brakes. In comparison the F56 MCS just feels lacking to me and I find myself pushing the pedal harder to get the same response. I am informed this is deliberate as there was a lot of negative feedback regarding the brakes in the older models.

The heaviness of the steering in general in comparison to other cars, like the BMW 1 series I am driving at the moment. More specifically though Sport mode just seems overly heavy. I am working on the assumption that the MCS steering will feel heavier due to the lower and stuffer suspension and I am informed that Sport should be heavy because it should feel more natural and give you better control when driving enthusiastically. However it just feels very wrong when driving round roundabouts or anywhere that under steering can cause problems.

I am sure others will have different opinions on the above though.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I don't have the sport mode option on my car but I really disliked the sport mode steering in my r56s. Heavier yes but it just felt like there was a synthetic drag on the steering.

Does the F56S have lower and stiffer suspension? I thought all cars were the same unless you went for sports suspension.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have read that the Cooper S is not so well balanced as the non S due to the heavier weight of the 4 cylinder engine, which could contribute to more understeer and perhaps heavier feeling steering if it has not be reprogrammed to suit the heavier engine.
I have only driven my Cooper which handles and steers beautifully, so have no first hand experience of the S, so the above may be rubbish!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Kenl I do believe there is a suspension difference between the Cooper and Cooper S as it is most definitely firmer. The sports suspension is even firmer than the standard Cooper S suspension.

Johnan there is definitely a difference in the steering between the Cooper and Cooper S, so you may be onto something. I did find the Cooper steering to be lighter than the S. However I am told that there is nothing wrong with my steering, that it has been designed that way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The positioning of the controller is extremely bad Ergonomics were thrown out the window with that one. I'm 6.1 and feel very comfortable in the car but reaching for that controller is a nightmare especially whilst driving. Last car was a f30 bmw and the controller in that was perfectly placed and just fell to hand. Yes its a bigger car but I'm sure mini could have come up with a more natural solution. This is my main bugbear, all other negatives I can manage and get used to over time.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Now this could be something im doing wrong but... Whats annoying is when im listening to the radio a telephone call comes through. After the call is finished i switch back to the radio and i find the volume as gone right back to silent.
I agree, Mindo.

I've had to push the Entertainment power button off and on to make music resume playing many times. I was using USB from an older model iPhone at the time.

Speaking of audio, I'm REALLY disappointed in the audio controls (this might even warrant its own thread!). I have the HK speaker upgrade, but they are wasted on this head unit. I would have expected Treble, Bass, AND Mid equalizer controls (if not more) AND Subwoofer volume control. The sound is just too muddy for me--like driving around inside Beats headphones (yeah, not a fan).

To be fair, I haven't had the car four days! I haven't even announced finally picking it up. It's just that this thread caught my eye.

JP

·
Super Moderator
8,742 Posts
What. Have you fiddled with fader and bass and treble settings and are you giving it a good source. I can shake the insides with beautiful bass and maintain a clear sound. It's great imho. 12 speakers 400 watts .I love it.

41 - 60 of 849 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.