Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought home my new F55 Justa Cooper. It has the 6-Speed Steptronic Automatic transmission. I discovered that when the selector lever is tilted to the left an indicator "M/S" lights up. I read the owners manual, but I'm still unclear as to what "M/S" mode does. Can anyone explain this?

Bobby D.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It means 'Manual Sport' so you are in Sport mode and changing gears manually i.e. either with the paddles or the stick :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
When you shift into M/S mode the transmission goes first into its sport automatic program. This program keeps you in a lower gear longer, and will downshift sooner if you give a stab to the accelerator over regular Drive. I believe it will also provide more aggressive engine breaking.

Manual mode is also obtained by manually shifting the stick up or down, or using the paddle shifters. When in manual mode the transmission will not automatically up shift unless to prevent damage to the engine. This protection can be disabled by disabling stability control.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It's actually a pretty cool function. At stops, if I know I'm going to need a quick getaway from the light, I just flick the shifter over and let it use the gearing from Sport mode to power me away without putting the whole car into sport mode, then just flick it back. When I feel like doing the shifting myself, just start shifting and you're in control. It's a heck of a transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, this is an old thread, but I have a question re: my 2017 Mini S. Everything said above is precisely how mine works, but how do you get the trans out of manual mode, back to sport mode? The only way I see so far is moving the shift lever beck to the right to regular mode, then back again to M/S? I use the paddles shifters often to slow down, but after that want to be back in sport (vs manual) mode. I don't keep my hand on the shifter. Is there an easier way to get back to sport mode?

btw, my first post, hello all from Oceanside.

greg

·
Registered
998 Posts
Hi, this is an old thread, but I have a question re: my 2017 Mini S. Everything said above is precisely how mine works, but how do you get the trans out of manual mode, back to sport mode? The only way I see so far is moving the shift lever beck to the right to regular mode, then back again to M/S? I use the paddles shifters often to slow down, but after that want to be back in sport (vs manual) mode. I don't keep my hand on the shifter. Is there an easier way to get back to sport mode?

greg
that's pretty much the way to do it. It will shift down automatically in M/S to prevent a stall but it won't shift up unless its screaming

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have the paddle shifters, press the right one and immediately press the left one, and that will get you in S mode without having to put the vehicle in D!

Reactions: Hat

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have the paddle shifters, press the right one and immediately press the left one, and that will get you in S mode without having to put the vehicle in D!
Doesn't work on mine (I do have the paddle shifters). When I push right it just goes from M1 to M2, then back to M1 with the left one.

·
Registered
20 Posts

greg
Press and hold the up-shift button, it'll briefly change up a gear still in manual mode then flick back into S auto.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gear Stick vs Toggle mode

I have read all the above, but what is the difference between sport mode on the stick vs sport mode on the toggle?

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
Sport on the stick refers to the gear box , sport on the toggle firms the steering and throttle response and gives you pops and bangs in s and jcw models.

Reactions: Arcadian
1 - 14 of 14 Posts