Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before my 2014 F56 Cooper D, I had 3 R56 Mini Coopers all bought as 6 month old demonstrators. A 57 reg, 60 reg and 12 reg and did over 60,000 miles in each over the 2 years I had them. My wife has also had a 62 reg R60 Countryman for 2 years.

I should also add the the R56's were used as driving school cars so had multiple learner drivers and a fairly hard life.

In a combined 210,000 Mini miles the only faults Ive had were

ABS unit faulty within 3 days of owning my 57 reg Mini
Thermostat body leak on my 60 reg Mini
Air Con fault on my 12 reg Mini
Air Con fault on my wife's 62 reg Countryman

All faults fixed under warranty as I don't usually keep cars past 3 years.

Current 14 reg Cooper D has less mileage (no learners) currently 15,000 but hasn't yet been back to the dealers with the service being due in 1500 miles. The only fault is a very slight paint rub on the drivers door which isnt getting worse and I wouldn't even have noticed but for reading this forum and wont be mentioning to MINI and I'm very picky.

What faults have others had on their F56's?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Quite minor "faults" so far, most fixed by my dealer:
- Scratch on bonnet on delivery needed machine buffing by dealer.
- Huge scratch on inside driver's side door on delivery, needed conditioning by dealer
- Plastic badge on rear boot partially coming off, not adhered correctly at factory. Will probably just buy a new badge and fix myself

As a one-off my XL system has reset itself mid-journey. It has only done it once but I'm not quite sure what exactly caused the computer to reset itself. All settings were saved, it just seemed to reboot itself.

Biggest fault so far is that there is a loud intermittent rattle coming from the rear section of the sunroof. Service guys have tried to find the fault but unable to replicate the problem. Unfortunately I am also unable to replicate the problem too but as soon as I figure it out I will show them.

Reactions: opal

·
Registered
90 Posts
I also had the multiple large scratches on the bonnet from delivery. So far the only other major issue has been a massive oil leak from the oil fill cap which I resolved by replacing the seal. Have only had the car a month though.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
My 3 Cylinder Big Blog :D now has 11k on the clock and the only problem I had at around 6k was the emblem on the steering wheel air bag started to have tiny little pimples on the chrome logo. Sadly the Dealer had to replace the whole airbag for a $ 1.00 part talking about a design flaw here.:(

·
Registered
83 Posts
F55...

Stop/start system problem, engine ran on then spluttered off. Fixed (ish) by software update.

Bonnet mis shapen from factory, replaced and took 4 attempts to get it fitted right!

All sorted now....its the wifes car and shes loving it again! Its called Tommy apparently....

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ok guys, make yourselves comfortable, I may be some time...........

(Mini Cooper S ....registered June 2014)

1. Rear discs/pads replaced due to scoring/pitting (5000 miles ...January 2015)
2. Rear shocks replaced due to leaking (6000 miles ....February 2015)...this was recorded at approx. 3000 miles but took them a while to diagnose!
3. Door seal rub/paintwork fault recorded (6000 miles .... February 2015) ... this work is still outstanding
4. Crankshaft bearings replaced RECALL (12,000 miles...October 2015)
5. Oil filter housing using replaced RECALL (12,000 miles ....October 2015)
6. Gear selector aka cone tower replaced due to jumping out of first gear (12,500 miles ..... Oct 2015)

New faults that I have to go to dealer with.....

7. 'Tentacle' alloy lacquer peeling off one wheel only ... looks like a manufacturing fault as it's on the same direction on every spoke ... this won't get seen to until Spring as it's my winter alloys and currently in use
8. Rear shocks knocking AGAIN
9. Rear brakes grinding AGAIN

Anyone beat 9????

Reactions: opal

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Brandon hasn't posted yet!
I think my list runs up to 11... Helplessly trying to find it now.

1) Replacement drivetrain due to jumping out of first gear
2) Door mirror (reflective mirror) fell out due to faulty clips, wouldn't clip in
3) Crackling speakers (not rectified due to no fault shown on computer)

MINI UK then paid me three months rental as compensation, total of £800.

4) Driver's door glass rattling
5) Paint rub from seals, they put silicone on
6) Registration plates kept falling off (their adhesive was shite)
7) Paint rub from seals (second time), replaced all seals with the notion they'd need to be replaced again due to MINI UK not having a method of fixing this issue.
8) Squeaking door armrest, they added silicone which stained my door card
9) Broken door trim, kept falling out probably due to replacement armrest being incorrectly installed
10) Door armrest extremely loose, almost falling off (literally) - they replaced the entire door card due to the armrest and subsequent staining
11) Seat back mechanisms replaced under a recall.

Car returned to MINI as of 23rd December 2015, 9 months after purchase, upon arrival of my replacement. No money was refunded from MINI UK as I didn't put any deposit down.

I think that's it... I'll be sure to quote myself if I recall anything else. :eek:

Donna did you get a replacement vehicle? Your issues seem a lot worse than mine, i.e. they're predominately mechanical issues!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Jeez! I didn't want to say, but a lot of that list I'm thinking "is that all"....not that I'm condoning any faults but yes yours did seem to be mainly trim issues.

I'm really starting to think a strongly worded email to MINI UK is on the cards for me (and I hate this kinda thing....im very non-confrontational!). Any advice on this would be gratefully received. Like the saying goes "if you don't ask, you don't get"....

It occurred to me last night that I've paid £7280 in payments up 'til now for a car that HAS NEVER been without fault. Where I come unstuck is I didn't go to the dealer with my first problem until approx. month 6-7....I kinda put up with the knocking suspension until a convenient time for me to go to see about it. Bad move.

I have absolutely NOTHING bad to say against my service department/dealer, they are really accommodating and whenever I've had my car at the dealer, I've had a courtesy car (albeit something 'cheap'!).

I'm beginning to think I'm due come compensation here for all my hassle - even a tank of fuel to cover the constant trips to the dealer.

My OH wondered last night if I'm at the point in the PCP deal where I can just go back with the keys and say stuff them. But then I walk away with nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the MINI but we just shouldn't have to deal with all these faults/flaws/bad workmanship from a major, executive brand.

Hats off to you Brandon for sticking to the marque, I'd be more hestitant. (Maybe I should have ignored my OH and bought the Juke Nismo, Nissan's don't break...I won't be so keen to seek his approval next time!!)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
.....also I signed up for a 4 year PCP deal. I refuse to own this car in past year 3 without extended warranty and I'm b*ggered if I'm paying to extend it!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Exactly my point! You should've been given a replacement a long time ago! Send me your email on a PM and I'll forward you the chain of emails I sent to Quality Standards. @donnaj1dlh

Don't even buy a Nissan please... EVER, German or the bus.

Also it depends how much your car was and how much you've paid off as to when you can voluntarily hand it back. Get your PCP documents out and it will give you an amount that you have had to paid off the car (including deposit) before you can turn around and say here's the keys - baring it mind it has to be in A* condition, they'll knock you down for any little thing and also the mileage has to be within the limit you set or you'll be penalised.

·
Registered
998 Posts
hardly seems worth adding to this now

- door pillar paint rub. had the first re-designed seals fitted which were reportedly ineffective but i put clear tape on myself anyway. this will be brought up at first service
- both front wheels replaced due to lacquer peel - both in the same area so seemed like a manufacturing fault

i also have the intermittent rattle from the sunroof which i plan to report at service

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
hardly seems worth adding to this now

- door pillar paint rub. had the first re-designed seals fitted which were reportedly ineffective but i put clear tape on myself anyway. this will be brought up at first service
- both front wheels replaced due to lacquer peel - both in the same area so seemed like a manufacturing fault

i also have the intermittent rattle from the sunroof which i plan to report at service
I'd report the rattle now, get it on their system. The longer you leave it the worse it will get.. Then you can tell them its got worse, have them look at and follow the procedure.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Just the door seal rub for me!
Agree with Brandon, Donna DON't BUY a Juke; vile ugly thing and Nissans do go wrong; colleague of mine had a primera-3 turbos till they gave up and 2 out of warranty! Lots of faults prior to that though latterly i think they're better. mind you was accosted outside mac donalds when driving our dacia duster, by a Nissan Navarra driver who was totally sick of faults and was thinking of changing.
Rumour has it Renault are working VERY hard to get rid of the flaky reputation they've had and evo drive their clios and meganes VERY hard with no faults (to date). Likewise ford seem to do well generally but someone else will i am sure, correct me. Skodas seem to satisfy in the polls but i know of owners with silly faults eg disconnected turbo pipes!

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Ooops sorry ; seat back mechanism on recall, but are we classing that as a fault -the seats worked faultlessly before and after the recall!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Exactly my point! You should've been given a replacement a long time ago! Send me your email on a PM and I'll forward you the chain of emails I sent to Quality Standards. @donnaj1dlh

Don't even buy a Nissan please... EVER, German or the bus.

Also it depends how much your car was and how much you've paid off as to when you can voluntarily hand it back. Get your PCP documents out and it will give you an amount that you have had to paid off the car (including deposit) before you can turn around and say here's the keys - baring it mind it has to be in A* condition, they'll knock you down for any little thing and also the mileage has to be within the limit you set or you'll be penalised.

Cheers, I've PM'd you @brandonbardsley .... I won't plagarise you, honest!

My car is 100% mint condition - apart from that door seals which is obviously their fault :) and under mileage limits - I always err on the side of caution with them anyway.

I'm not looking to reject my car .... just get everything sorted and maybe a treat or three for my inconvenience..... and free extended warranty!!

Anyhoo I just want another RCZ. End of. Shame they're out of production now. Oh well, cheap second hand R it is!

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Had you had your car when the new consumer thingy came in Donna you'd have had a new one, no question. You've had a terrible time with the Mini , and they should really be compensating you; Brandon did pretty well so maybe take a leaf out of his book. Even if they don't renew your car (and you might not want that) they should be giving you financial compensation for the time and inconvenience. Why not add up the hours/minutes you've spent driving there to them, and back plus the petrol at say 40p per mile(essential user allowance for us so just a suggestion) and if you have waited for it, that time too, then produce an invoice for them charging them (like they would us for non warranty work on the car) in a fully itemised way. Charge them along the lines of what you're paid at your job, for the hourly rate so they can see it's personal! I;ve seen people do it to banks etc, and it might shock them into some sort of sympathy!
If it's rcz alikes the only car i can think of that is similar is the new audi tt but audi dont seem to do that well in consumer events; autoexpresses was unfixable! (stop start failure) and theirs was replaced!

The threat of some such mag as autoexpress also works well; we got them on board for a totally unfair parking ticket and they were brilliant; we got an instant response (refund!).

BY THE WAY, Santa brought me the gtechniq plastic trim treatment; applied to my (self inflicted) faded rear wheel arch and WOW-so far so impressed-cant wait to do the rest of the plastic and our mini roadster. Colour is restored, and it'sbeen washe d and no streaks and no fades. well worth £40 if this continues! THANK YOU!
(not pmd this as others might be interested)

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I think it's just the odd car, and not a specific type but I may be wrong! Or should I say the odd wheel.

Reactions: daydotz
1 - 20 of 34 Posts