Mini Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why would you take a babied car over the normally driven one? From what I'm seeing out on the intertubes, a babied care is more likely to have issues due to glazing of the cylinder walls....
Thanks for educating me. I learned something new. Didn't know babied cars could have problems too. I looked further and read some technical papers about engine break-in, but could only find an article related to babied car in a very old Popular Mechanics article. It says a babied car could form a glaze which is very bad for forming a proper seal.

My plan is to drive it normal in between 1500-4000 rpm in the initial 1000 miles, varying the load. Picking up mine probably next week. :)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Thanks for educating me. I learned something new. Didn't know babied cars could have problems too. I looked further and read some technical papers about engine break-in, but could only find an article related to babied car in a very old Popular Mechanics article. It says a babied car could form a glaze which is very bad for forming a proper seal.

My plan is to drive it normal in between 1500-4000 rpm in the initial 1000 miles, varying the load. Picking up mine probably next week. :)
There you go. Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
6,480 Posts
Ps just looking at the picture of the engine. What does the twin power in twin power turbo mean? I know what Turbo does but what's the rest and is it the same on the Cooper and the cooper s

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
And this too:
http://paultan.org/2012/10/01/bmws-b38-1-5-litre-three-cylinder-motor-to-spearhead-new-engine-family-we-test-drive-it-in-a-1-series/

I'm guessing that "Twin Power" refers to having more than one way to improve the performance of the engine; Twin-scroll turbo plus Valvetronic, for example. Or maybe VANOS plus direct injection.

It is kind of confusing. Since the B48 has twin-scroll turbo, Valvetronic, VANOS, and direct injection, it should be "Quadruple Power". But that probably wouldn't fit on the engine cover.

·
Super Moderator
6,480 Posts
And this too:
http://paultan.org/2012/10/01/bmws-b38-1-5-litre-three-cylinder-motor-to-spearhead-new-engine-family-we-test-drive-it-in-a-1-series/

I'm guessing that "Twin Power" refers to having more than one way to improve the performance of the engine; Twin-scroll turbo plus Valvetronic, for example. Or maybe VANOS plus direct injection.

It is kind of confusing. Since the B48 has twin-scroll turbo, Valvetronic, VANOS, and direct injection, it should be "Quadruple Power". But that probably wouldn't fit on the engine cover.
Very confusing, mind Q power? Make sure you bring it back 007
Thanks folks.

·
Super Moderator
6,480 Posts
Thanks uke they were brilliant articles . I do live my 3 cylinders! And agree with what they say 're the sound. Interesting potential power outputs! Have to say twin power is confusing and seems to just be a brand name!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't know about you Euros, but there was a time here in the States when real men only drove 8 cylinder cars. OMG, a gas-saving, limp-wristed, 6 cylinder, what an embarrassment! And then 4 cylinder "rice-burners"! Geez, might as well get a bicycle. And now a 3-cylinder? Motorcycles have more than that! How do I explain this to people? Temporary insanity? Senility? A sex change?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I don't know about you Euros, but there was a time here in the States when real men only drove 8 cylinder cars. OMG, a gas-saving, limp-wristed, 6 cylinder, what an embarrassment! And then 4 cylinder "rice-burners"! Geez, might as well get a bicycle. And now a 3-cylinder? Motorcycles have more than that! How do I explain this to people? Temporary insanity? Senility? A sex change?
Test drive. 15 minutes in the twisties ought to win over anyone who thinks performance only applies in a straight line. In the old days we had lots of HP but also prodigious consumption of fuel, in a chassis that was easily confused by corners. I suspect even the Justa F56 with that cool little 3-banger would easily smoke many if not most of the cars from back in the day, as long as it wasn't just on the straights.

I was one of those you referenced. "No substitute for cubic inches". Smokey Yunik. All of that. I owned an FJ40 Land Cruiser with a small-block Chevy V8. That thing had grunt, but driving it was a character building experience for sure. Cars today are so much more refined, and we are squeezing more and more power out of smaller and smaller packages. It's awesome.

·
Super Moderator
6,480 Posts
Go right back to the 60 s and the original mini. 3 times Monaco rally winner against huge cars with huge egines.and it would've been 4 ex for French cheating. Here in t h e uk legislation is unfairly making cars with big engines expensive to run I love the sound of a v8 and ran a golf r32 ,v6. Nothing sounded quite like it but with petrol at £ 1. 23 a litre .........and teeny roads jammed with cars it's just n not really practical for Mr average. That's why I bought the Cooper. Sounds fantastic too.

Ps we've toured USA and Canada and we are so jealous of your road system.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Go right back to the 60 s and the original mini. 3 times Monaco rally winner against huge cars with huge egines.and it would've been 4 ex for French cheating. Here in t h e uk legislation is unfairly making cars with big engines expensive to run I love the sound of a v8 and ran a golf r32 ,v6. Nothing sounded quite like it but with petrol at £ 1. 23 a litre .........and teeny roads jammed with cars it's just n not really practical for Mr average. That's why I bought the Cooper. Sounds fantastic too.

Ps we've toured USA and Canada and we are so jealous of your road system.
Yes. It's more than just how big the engine is, for sure. The Monte Carlo wins were amazing and groundbreaking. Sir Alec really changed the paradigm with the original MINI.

Weren't there a few cars for a while that had V8s that were small displacement? Something like 2.5L? I think the argument was that more cylinders produced a smoother engine. They came and went back in the late 70's I think.

Remember the Wankel engine on Mazdas? What a brilliant concept. Never drove a smoother engine than that.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Weren't there a few cars for a while that had V8s that were small displacement? Something like 2.5L?
Daimler had a 2.5litre V8 (hemi heads, even) used in the very 'toothy' SP250 roadster and both Lamborghini and Ferrari built 2.0litre versions of their V8s for the home market, as Italian taxation and licensing rules had a big jump at 2.0 litre.

·
Super Moderator
6,480 Posts
Bang on angib. Latterly as well as the wankel Mazda did a small v6 for their mx3 which is the smallest ever v6 apparently.

·
Registered
96 Posts
First fuel tank - Green mode
Second fuel tank - normal mode
Third fuel tank - sport mode
other fuel tanks - Sport mode :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't want Green Mode to feel discriminated against so I use it once in a while on the highway. But it's something I have to force myself to do - I figure there may be some things I still have to learn about how it works. And I like those cute icons, foot on gas pedal and gearshift knob. Mid-Mode is what I use when I forget to switch to Sport on start-up, but that's happening less and less.

I reached my break-in 12,000 miles yesterday so I guess now I can wind it out. However, the manual states: "From 12,000 miles, The engine and vehicle speed can gradually be increased." Could they be more vague?

·
Super Moderator
6,480 Posts
I know not brilliant, there has been huge debate on here. Hmmm jury is out on the health care system for me, great initially but I did expect more than just a sling and ibuprofen for a snapped numerous. Time will tell!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ha! Yeah, they could at least give you the good drugs. But a sling, ibu and a trip to the emergency room here would cost at least $2K.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts