Mini Cooper Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,480 Posts
True enough I can't imagine many bothering these days; although our mini sales staff said they did i see audi dealer drivers racing delivery plate cars round us. Likewise to favour DAVE's theory honest john states that the best cars are hire cars; simply because they are subject to so much varied driving ie we're all so different in a small time and are looked after ie oils etc always topped up! Variation he seems to think is key-for thermal stability! I therefore stick to mini but try to vary the running as much as poss!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The jury remains out on this. One thing that seems to be pretty much universally agreed upon is DON'T BABY IT. Being too gentle during run-in is just as bad (or perhaps worse) than redlining it 100% of the time, or bogging it down in 6th going uphill at 25 mph.

Just drive it like you normally would. Try to minimize full throttle acceleration, smoke-inducing clutching, and just-shy-of-ABS braking, for the first 500 miles or so. Don't rev the snot out of it. Make sure you vary the speed (don't set cruise control and drive across Texas). Accelerate briskly and decelerate using engine braking.

Above all, don't turn the radio up too loud. And stop grinning like an idiot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm following the manual with 4500k rev limit and keeping it under 85mph for 1200 miles.

I was careful with the tyres for 250miles.

I've taken it easy on the brakes and box for 300-400 miles.

3000 revs is all I need before I lose my licence due to the speed to be honest.

I did slip and hit 6k revs oops for a second.

Completed a mix of driving speeds e.g. City to highways.

I try not to let the front brakes stay on and kept the wheels moving rather than pad on hot discs. So far so good.

Just be careful with brakes, clutch and tyres for 300 miles.

Don't thrash the engine for 1200 miles.

It's boring though lol

·
Registered
371 Posts
I tried, but tough to do with the auto. Still, managed to stay close to instructions; however, I mostly drove it how it will be driven. I had to take it on a 1.000 mile road trip so I altered speeds a lot ... cruise at 70 for a while, bump o 80, than run up to 90 (it liked it), then start over again. I'm almost over the 2,000 mile period so tomorrow I'll make a few red line runs.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts