Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I'm Nataly. I've just sold my Golf GTI and bought MINI John Cooper Works . It's my first Mini and I have a lot of questions.
I'm going to use this car at track-days preferentially and that's why I'm interested in tuning.
I'm going to start modifications right now, first of all I'm going to change brakes. Now I choose brake pads. What is the best for JCW?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Welcome to the Site Nataly and congrats on your JCW , Have you got the Brembo front brakes as standard? if so I'm not aware of anyone on here that has upgraded them or have not seen a thread re pad changes of yet.
A few of the owners on here have tried different tuning boxes have a look in the JCW section and I think a couple have the JCW track coil overs installed as well.
I will leave it for the members to help on tuning side as ours is standard

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Welcome to the list. I assume you have an F56 JCW. I suggest that you drive it for awhile before you begin any modifications and see what you think. It is a good stock performer. What options did you get with it?

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
Welcome to the forum; no experience of track days in my own car i'm afraid! Might be worth a look at EBC as their track orientated pads get good reviews in evo magazine?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Very interesting. The JCW's Brembo's are the strongest aspect of the car, why would you choose to change those above all the other low-hanging fruit like tires and suspension?

I've done a track day with an F56 JCW and the brakes were the last thing that needed upgrading. The stock pads are very good even for street-tire track days. Oh, and nobody has pads out for the JCW yet. You'd have to get custom from Carbotech or Cobalt, et al. EBC makes OK motorcycle pads, but their car pads are absolute garbage, especially for track work. EVO mag must've been sponsored to make a bad recommendation.

·
Registered
266 Posts
After a track day my dealer said that the stock brakes were one of the best aspects of the JCW and that the pads in particular performed surprisingly well. I suspect you may be more than happy with track performance of the stock brembo brakes fitted to your JCW.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Agreed Tyres would be my starting point. 205/45r17 and 205/40r18 are a bit limiting so no real track day tyres but Michelin Pilot Super Sports look like an option. After all tyres are expendable on track days, I often kill a set on a good day, but I do use a Super Soft Avon semi slicks.

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
Only repeating evo mag ryepile, dont shoot the messenger; been happy with ebc greenstuff road pads but no experience myself of any others as i dont track my road car; totally agree; tyres will make the cheapest easiest and biggest improvement on a track!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the Site Nataly and congrats on your JCW , Have you got the Brembo front brakes as standard? if so I'm not aware of anyone on here that has upgraded them or have not seen a thread re pad changes of yet.
A few of the owners on here have tried different tuning boxes have a look in the JCW section and I think a couple have the JCW track coil overs installed as well.
I will leave it for the members to help on tuning side as ours is standard
Thank you! I'm thinking about brakes because I constantly felt lack of them at my Golf. Also I've read somewhere that standard brakes at JCW are not good enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the list. I assume you have an F56 JCW. I suggest that you drive it for awhile before you begin any modifications and see what you think. It is a good stock performer. What options did you get with it?
Thank you! There is no special options for track in my car, just standard. I'm going to make modification with brakes, suspension and exhaust-system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the forum; no experience of track days in my own car i'm afraid! Might be worth a look at EBC as their track orientated pads get good reviews in evo magazine?
Thank you for hospitality. I've already heard a lot about EBC and I think it is good choice for track and city. I'm thinking about EBC yellowstuff.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very interesting. The JCW's Brembo's are the strongest aspect of the car, why would you choose to change those above all the other low-hanging fruit like tires and suspension?

I've done a track day with an F56 JCW and the brakes were the last thing that needed upgrading. The stock pads are very good even for street-tire track days. Oh, and nobody has pads out for the JCW yet. You'd have to get custom from Carbotech or Cobalt, et al. EBC makes OK motorcycle pads, but their car pads are absolute garbage, especially for track work. EVO mag must've been sponsored to make a bad recommendation.
Thank you for your opinion. But I really heard that Brembo brake pads are overheating. Anyway I'll use stock brake pads till their end, I'm not going to throw them to the garbage just now:) I think winter is a good time for searching different variants of tuning, now I'm also looking for modifications of suspension, exhaust system and chip tuning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After a track day my dealer said that the stock brakes were one of the best aspects of the JCW and that the pads in particular performed surprisingly well. I suspect you may be more than happy with track performance of the stock brembo brakes fitted to your JCW.
You are so unanimous concerning stock brakes, may be I should think more about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed Tyres would be my starting point. 205/45r17 and 205/40r18 are a bit limiting so no real track day tyres but Michelin Pilot Super Sports look like an option. After all tyres are expendable on track days, I often kill a set on a good day, but I do use a Super Soft Avon semi slicks.
I totally agree about tyres, they are very important for track. Really tyres is not a problem for me, I had a good experience with Hankook RS and I'm going to use them. Michelin are quite good but significantly more expensive.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Tires are a personal choice and since I do a lot of mixed driving I use Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on the mini and the C7. They are not particularly good track tires in my opinion as they are not sticky enough, particularly with the C7. But for everyday driving and spirited twisties in all conditions they are hard to beat. I am not a fan of run flats as the sidewalls are too stiff and for daily drivers they are far too noisy, even the good ones. If your mini is a dedicated track vehicle it is a different matter. I carry a 12 volt VIAIR compressors, Dynaplug kit, and a can of slime when we travel. Just an added FYI we took a competitive driving course at the Indianapolis Speedway and Pippa Mann was our instructor. It was great fun driving on the famous course at speed (140 + mph in the straight) in the new F56 JCWs. My wife Paula, and I were in separate cars and they took some great shots of us chasing one another.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.