Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, Glad to be a part of the forum here.

I am ordering an F-56 and intend to have the Lane Departure and Speed Limit info. I am almost 100% this is part of 5AS but I have been unable to verify this information anywhere for the US version, including the dealer and MINI's 800 number. Here is my question in a nut shell. Is there on MINI letterhead anything defining the exact order codes? I have verified in all order guides and price guides that this option code exists but it does not define the features you gain with it. Am I just missing something here?

If I am correct the 5AS adds the KAFAS camera to the car enabling the following.
Lane departure, collision avoidance, speed limit info, adaptive cruise, high beam assistant.

Can anyone confirm or debunk this, definitively? (FOR THE USA)

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
998 Posts
This sheet should help
http://www.mini.dk/_downloads/pdf/Prisliste_MINI_F56_ekstraudstyr_130314.pdf

camera-based driver assistance system package consisting of camera-based speed regulation, high-beam assistance, speed limit info, person warning with light city braking function and approach control warning with light city braking function.
- The cruise control is camera-based and as well as speed it also regulates distance from the vehicle ahead in flowing motorway and country road traffic. System is active between 30 and 140 km/h)
- High-beam assistance: at speeds of 50 km/h and higher, the high-beam headlights are turned on and off automatically, depending on approaching traffic; also detects sufficient exterior lighting, for example in built-up areas
- Road signage recognition: camera-based display of speed limits and no-overtaking zones
- Person warning and Approach control warning warn and brake in a speed range from approx. 10 km/h to 60 km/h. Approach control warning also warns of potential collision with a vehicle ahead at higher speeds, with preconditioning of the brakes for faster brake response and shorter braking distances. If an accident cannot be avoided, the braking functions help to reduce the impact speed. By default, the function is always available when the vehicle is started. The approach pre-alert can also be configured to specific driver preferences in the MMI menu (early, medium, late).
- Windscreen sticker "Safety by MINI"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for this.

Here is what this says. This is for Denmark and is exactly what I'm looking for from MINI for the US market. The reason I want this, I'm curious if there is any deviation from this in the US market, i.e. no active cruise etc. Unfortunately, to may people have chimed, all with varying answers. When the dealers don't know, and the 800 number doesn't know, I lose confidence in spending the $7000 in total package requirements it takes for this option to be ordered. Its not cheap and I want to be 100000% sure of what it has.

Thanks again, were headed the right direction here.

Camera-based driver assistance system package consisting of camera-based speed regulation, high-beam assistance, speed limit info, person warning with light city braking function and approach control warning with light city braking function.
- The cruise control is camera-based and as well as speed it also regulates distance from the vehicle ahead in flowing motorway and country road traffic. System is active between 30 and 140 km/h)
- High-beam assistance: at speeds of 50 km/h and higher, the high-beam headlights are turned on and off automatically, depending on approaching traffic; also detects sufficient exterior lighting, for example in built-up areas
- Road signage recognition: camera-based display of speed limits and no-overtaking zones
- Person warning and Approach control warning warn and brake in a speed range from approx. 10 km/h to 60 km/h. Approach control warning also warns of potential collision with a vehicle ahead at higher speeds, with preconditioning of the brakes for faster brake response and shorter braking distances. If an accident cannot be avoided, the braking functions help to reduce the impact speed. By default, the function is always available when the vehicle is started. The approach pre-alert can also be configured to specific driver preferences in the MMI menu (early, medium, late).
- Windscreen sticker "Safety by MINI"

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi there, Glad to be a part of the forum here.

I am ordering an F-56 and intend to have the Lane Departure and Speed Limit info. I am almost 100% this is part of 5AS but I have been unable to verify this information anywhere for the US version, including the dealer and MINI's 800 number. Here is my question in a nut shell. Is there on MINI letterhead anything defining the exact order codes? I have verified in all order guides and price guides that this option code exists but it does not define the features you gain with it. Am I just missing something here?

If I am correct the 5AS adds the KAFAS camera to the car enabling the following.
Lane departure, collision avoidance, speed limit info, adaptive cruise, high beam assistant.

Can anyone confirm or debunk this, definitively? (FOR THE USA)

Thanks guys.
No LDW

Only:

Road Sign Recognition
Auto High Beams
Adaptive Cruise
Collision Warning/Prevention with Pedestrian Detection

All camera based and at times deactivates when there is heavy sunlight (a flaw). I read that the option is temporarily unavailable due to an issue with the camera on the assembly line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No LDW

Only:

Road Sign Recognition
Auto High Beams
Adaptive Cruise
Collision Warning/Prevention with Pedestrian Detection
This is correct, I received an email today from MINI confirming these exact features.

Is lane departure even available? If not, I wonder if thats a trade off with the camera based cruise. Meaning, BMW uses radar based adaptive cruise and the KAFAS camera does lane departure warning. Whereas, MINI uses the KAFAS camera for its adaptive cruise. Maybe the camera system can't process both Lane Departure and Adaptive Cruise at the same time. Just a guess.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is correct, I received an email today from MINI confirming these exact features.

Is lane departure even available? If not, I wonder if thats a trade off with the camera based cruise. Meaning, BMW uses radar based adaptive cruise and the KAFAS camera does lane departure warning. Whereas, MINI uses the KAFAS camera for its adaptive cruise. Maybe the camera system can't process both Lane Departure and Adaptive Cruise at the same time. Just a guess.

Lane Departure Warning is not available on the MINI. Maybe it is the trade off for the auto high beams and ACC that are activated by the camera (where they would be separate on the BMW).

I know on BMW the connected drive camera controls the LDW, FCW, and RSI. The auto high beams are controlled by a separate infrared camera mounted directly behind the rear view mirror (It is separate from the connected drive camera mounted above the rain sensor) and the ACC is controlled by the radar sensor in the lower grille (better for very sunny days..)

So maybe having auto high beams, ACC, FCW, and RSI is just too much for the camera already and therefore LDW was omitted?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Warning: Old thread resurrection :)

We took delivery of our F56 3 door Cooper yesterday and a couple of the expected features are not working/present.

We have the camera, Matrix LED with High beam assist (works fine) and the cruise control with braking.
What we were also expecting was the High beam anti-dazzle that turns off the individual LED segments to oncoming cars and the Adaptive cruise control.

So the main question is? can these be enabled now after delivery?

Regards Loi

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
@Loz If you have specified Matrix LED Headlights then yes they have separate bulbs/beams that will switch on or off depdenant on traffic ahead, presumably this only works in 'Auto High Beam' mode with the Light Switch set to Auto. I know on the pre-LCI you had to have the Light Switch set to Auto for the cornering function to work.

If you didn't specify 'Adaptive Cruise' then you won't have it (if you have it, you'll have a completely symmetrical button layout on your steering wheel, i.e. two circular buttons and a big circle on either side. Adaptive Cruise and Driver's Assistance was separate on the LCI I believe... Also, the Matrix LEDs use the camera so this is why you'll have the camera if you don't have Adaptive Cruise.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
@Loz If you have specified Matrix LED Headlights then yes they have separate bulbs/beams that will switch on or off depdenant on traffic ahead, presumably this only works in 'Auto High Beam' mode with the Light Switch set to Auto. I know on the pre-LCI you had to have the Light Switch set to Auto for the cornering function to work.

If you didn't specify 'Adaptive Cruise' then you won't have it (if you have it, you'll have a completely symmetrical button layout on your steering wheel, i.e. two circular buttons and a big circle on either side. Adaptive Cruise and Driver's Assistance was separate on the LCI I believe... Also, the Matrix LEDs use the camera so this is why you'll have the camera if you don't have Adaptive Cruise.
Thanks, my salesman called today to see how we were getting on and I mentioned the omissions and he is going to raise a tech request to see what can be done to rectify the missing adaptive cruise and check on the anti-dazzle for the matrix leds.

I drove it in the dark last night with lights in auto position, and then pressed the lower half end-stalk and the green auto light lit up. Then when I got over 35 the highbeam came on automatically so that works but when another vehicle approached, it just dipped straight away. I was thinking it was not supposed to fully dip but just switch out some of the matrix LEDs to create a “hole” in the light for the oncoming vehicle? Or have I misunderstood how it is supposed to work?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Thanks, my salesman called today to see how we were getting on and I mentioned the omissions and he is going to raise a tech request to see what can be done to rectify the missing adaptive cruise and check on the anti-dazzle for the matrix leds.

I drove it in the dark last night with lights in auto position, and then pressed the lower half end-stalk and the green auto light lit up. Then when I got over 35 the highbeam came on automatically so that works but when another vehicle approached, it just dipped straight away. I was thinking it was not supposed to fully dip but just switch out some of the matrix LEDs to create a “hole” in the light for the oncoming vehicle? Or have I misunderstood how it is supposed to work?
No - you're correct, it should only drop a few segments of the high beam. You've done the right thing in getting the dealer to look into it, you may want to take it in and show them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts