Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that Osprey Fast Chargers are now £1 per KW/h !
On average a petrol Cooper S will do around 350 miles on a full tank (costing around £70)
At this £/KWh rate how much would it cost to get 350 miles out of a SE using only Osprey Fast Chargers?

Also could someone work out the pence/KWh £/litre cross-over price point for mileage only?
Appreciate there are many cost factors to EV ownership but I'd be interested to see the rough figures here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The gap is certainly shrinking between ICE and EV's!

Here are my recent calculations when deciding between the Cooper S and SE.

2022 Cooper S

1 UK gallon of fuel is averaging around £7.55 (£1.66/L x 4.55) at the time of posting.

Based on 48mpg (I am actually achieving 51mpg) this works out at 15.7 pence per mile.

At 40mpg this is 18.8 pence per mile

At 35mpg this is 21.5 pence per mile

2022 Cooper SE

I will do my initial calculation on the assumed rate based on the recent £2500 price cap @ approx 37p/kWh.

Assuming 120miles range from the 28kWh usable battery capacity that works out at
4.28 miles/kWh and 8.6 pence per mile.

Adjusting this for the £1/kWh charge rates would raise this number to 23.3 pence per mile.

Now here are some cost comparisons based on 10k miles a year over 3 years. (30k total)

Cooper S = £4710 fuel cost
Cooper SE (home charged) = £2580
Cooper SE (charging station) = £6990

I appreciate many will be still be fixed into incredibly cheap power deals so your milage may vary :D ..... but I was not.

I hope this helps!

J

·
Registered
411 Posts
I noticed that Osprey Fast Chargers are now £1 per KW/h !
On average a petrol Cooper S will do around 350 miles on a full tank (costing around £70)
At this £/KWh rate how much would it cost to get 350 miles out of a SE using only Osprey Fast Chargers?

Also could someone work out the pence/KWh £/litre cross-over price point for mileage only?
Appreciate there are many cost factors to EV ownership but I'd be interested to see the rough figures here.
You would have to be pretty desperate to pay £1kwh.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The gap is certainly shrinking between ICE and EV's!

Here are my recent calculations when deciding between the Cooper S and SE.

2022 Cooper S

1 UK gallon of fuel is averaging around £7.55 (£1.66/L x 4.55) at the time of posting.

Based on 48mpg (I am actually achieving 51mpg) this works out at 15.7 pence per mile.

At 40mpg this is 18.8 pence per mile

At 35mpg this is 21.5 pence per mile

2022 Cooper SE

I will do my initial calculation on the assumed rate based on the recent £2500 price cap @ approx 37p/kWh.

Assuming 120miles range from the 28kWh usable battery capacity that works out at
4.28 miles/kWh and 8.6 pence per mile.

Adjusting this for the £1/kWh charge rates would raise this number to 23.3 pence per mile.

Now here are some cost comparisons based on 10k miles a year over 3 years. (30k total)

Cooper S = £4710 fuel cost
Cooper SE (home charged) = £2580
Cooper SE (charging station) = £6990

I appreciate many will be still be fixed into incredibly cheap power deals so your milage may vary :D ..... but I was not.

I hope this helps!

J
If you can do all your charging at home with an installed charge point on Octopus Go at 7.5p/kW that will give you 1.75p/mile

So 30k miles is £525 or £1525 if you include the cost of the home charge point.

My fuel vs electricity cost when I went from my Cooper SD to my SE went from £140/month to £24/month and that was before the surge in fuel prices. (£54 / month if I factor in the cost of the charge point too)

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
552 Posts
As per Barakka I pay 7.5p/kWhr (it was 5.0p until last month)

That's about the equivilant of 500mpg at current petrol prices.

And yes, as per Mark you would have to be pretty desperate to pay over £1
Worst I pay is the accassional trip to Stansted and last time I had to use GridServe it was 40p.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Took delivery of my SE on 19th July and done 838 miles to date. On delivery the car was 100% charged. I have added 52kw in July , 94kw in August ( was away on holiday for 1 week ) and so far in September 77kw. Just charged up to day and car currently at 100%. So far nearly all my charging has been free at Tesco other than one Pod Point charge of £4.73 and one at home £0.52.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Took delivery of my SE on 19th July and done 838 miles to date. On delivery the car was 100% charged. I have added 52kw in July , 94kw in August ( was away on holiday for 1 week ) and so far in September 77kw. Just charged up to day and car currently at 100%. So far nearly all my charging has been free at Tesco other than one Pod Point charge of £4.73 and one at home £0.52.
Yes, I can confirm, Mark is always parked up at our local Tesco, that’s why I can never get a charge there. PMSL

·
Super Moderator
8,750 Posts
My spreadsheet tells me at my current 27 .6 kw cost and petrol at petrol at 159 my se does 100 mpg. So leccy double and petrol half ? Or somewhere between. I might try to model it.

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
552 Posts
My spreadsheet tells me at my current 27 .6 kw cost and petrol at petrol at 159 my se does 100 mpg. So leccy double and petrol half ? Or somewhere between. I might try to model it.
Best petrol price around here is 169p/l and I charge at 7.5p/Kwhr (was 5p until a few days ago but my new 7.5 is fixed for the next year).
So compared to my Focus at 30mpg and the MINI at about 4miles/kWhr the equivalent "mpg" is about 400mpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That YouTube video answered my question. Looks to be around £0.60p per KW/h.
As the price of fossil fuel begins to drop and home electricity prices rise (capped at £0.52p KW/h at time of writing) it will soon be more expensive to 'fuel' an EV for those not able to get a fixed or lower overnight tariff.
I can see more lines at those Tesco chargers!

·
Registered
411 Posts
That YouTube video answered my question. Looks to be around £0.60p per KW/h.
As the price of fossil fuel begins to drop and home electricity prices rise (capped at £0.52p KW/h at time of writing) it will soon be more expensive to 'fuel' an EV for those not able to get a fixed or lower overnight tariff.
I can see more lines at those Tesco chargers!
The Government’s new energy price cap, which overrules the Ofgem 52p level, means those drivers on a standard variable rate from their utility provider will now pay 34p a kWh for electricity. And this cap is in place for two years.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper SE
428 Posts
Spotted that Osprey has announced that they will be reviewing their prices following the government's announcement and that they expect the revised price to be downwards! They didn't indicate when this would happen though.

·
Registered
516 Posts
If anyone wants my spread sheet let me know. I'd probably need to add a tutorial!
id be interested at looking at one but as a company driver I’m getting the benefit of lots of 45p miles

seeing if I might be out of pocket as I could be in the sweet spot perhaps in very simple terms with little depreciation

i think I’m getting 25p back in my pocket for every company mile

Attachments

Reactions: jeremybingham
1 - 18 of 18 Posts