Mini Cooper Forum banner

What model is worth it?

10K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  tgoodspe 
#1 ·
Hello!

I'm looking to get my first Mini ever and I'm looking at the 2015 2-door Hardtops! I'm just curious as to y'all's opinions on which model is worth it, as in, most bang for your buck?

I know the Cooper S is faster than the regular Cooper, but weirdly in videos I've watched people are saying they still prefer the Cooper. Because the 2015 is new and a bit redesigned, there's really no aftermarket performance parts for it right now, so is it worth it to step up to the JCW? Or should I stick with the lower Cooper's and hold out for aftermarket stuff?

I've never owned a Mini, but I'm cross-shopping with things like the Focus ST (don't love the look), the Mustang, and generally just other faster cars. I really want a daily drive that's super quick and fun to drive. Hence, Mini.

I just don't know which model is worth it. Speccing the three models out how I want vastly ranges the price from like $25-$40k...

Let me know y'all's opinions!

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
You should go drive a couple. If you've never driven a Mini, the non-S version will probably be just fine for you. They are great fun to drive, very quick and fantastic to handle. I had a non-S for my first Mini (2006) and then bought an S version for this one. You won't be disappointed whatever you get.

#4 ·
A bit biased for the Cooper here.
I could have bought either a Cooper or S but I did a lot of research and ended up with a well specced Cooper.

It is beautifully balanced with its light engine which is easily more powerful than I need and is also relatively economical. The low road tax in the UK also helps.

You can specify a spare wheel in the non S too, which is important to me.

I also prefer the frontal look of the Cooper, but that is just my opinion.

Reading these forums every day, I have noticed the Cooper has not reported any mechanical, or I think electrical problems of a recurring nature. Only a few damper clonks from the back seem to have been reported, and the paint rub on the B post which also applies to the S of course.

The S has had problems with gear selection and crankshaft end float issues causing clutch problems and I would want more information about how these problems have been resolved, to the extent of not recurring, before going ahead to order one.
Hopefully these difficulties have been eradicated now.

It is a nice position to be in to have such a choice to make, enjoy it!

#5 ·
I totally agree with jonan. However if you are looking at a mustang,,,,,,,they're chalk and cheese. If you relish power above all else wait for the jcw.otherwise the Cooper is great. I too could've bought either but just fell in love with the 3 cylinders torque and sound. It's great. Drive them if you can before you decide.

#6 · (Edited)
Cooper is good fun, perfectly enough power and with that comes good economy on long runs, My other Car is the Fiesta Mk7 ST and they are very different. The cooper is fun and comfortable for everyday motoring, the fiesta is fast and comes with suspension on the stiff side, ive loved having both for different reasons the Mini is the warm hatch and the fiesta the hot hatch! I originally was going to try the Cooper S which wasnt out at the time, after a test drive in the fiesta and the potential to cost me £6k more for my spec i couldnt justify the cooper S

#7 ·
For me, it's all about the S. I found it sportier, better sounding and overall... better. If you want the be-all-end-all of sporty, though, put your order in for the JCW. You'll pay more, but get more. Economics got in the way for me, but I got as much Mini as I could afford and still get the toys I wanted. I wouldn't compromise out of having the S tho...

#8 ·
If you want something that is "super quick" Mini is not the answere. Sounds to me like you should be looking at 135M (or wait for the M2), RS3 or A45.

If you want a fun daily driver the MCS would be a good option, and it is semi quick. The Standard cooper is pretty fun to drive as well but could hardly be considered "super quick".

#14 ·
If you want something that is "super quick" Mini is not the answere.
I think Mini is the answer for my needs. I'm not looking for the fastest 0-60 time or something like that, as I think that number is usually worthless for real-world driving. I'm looking for something that when I drive around the city (mostly 45mph and under) that it feels really quick, nimble, and fun. I think then that Mini might be the answer for this. It's small, light on it's feet, I think the "go-kart" feeling sounds really appealing.

Also, I'm coming from a Ford F150 that I never wanted in the first place, so I'm downsizing big time. But I used to own a Nissan Juke, and I actually really loved driving that car. That car was heavier than the mini, bigger, and had less power. So my thinking is that if the Mini is better in all those areas, then it's going to feel even quicker and be a lot more fun. So if it ticks those boxes, then that's what I'm looking for. Especially later in this year when some aftermarket parts come out and I can boost it up a bit more. I mean the JCW Mini Hardtop has a 0-60 of 5.9. So if you are looking at those numbers, that's only a tad bit behind Subaru's WRX... not bad.

#9 ·
I think if the Mini hardtop appeals to you in the first place, then all three models are "worth it." When I read your post I thought what you were really asking was what option or package was the most worth it. Mine's loaded so I've had a chance to decide which things I really am glad are included and which ones I could have lived without. (I purchased a floor model instead of special ordering)

Of all the options I got, I think the premium package with the sunroof is my favorite. Not that I drive with the sunroof open, having the light come through the roof with or without the sun shade really makes you feel like you're in a much larger vehicle. That makes the experience of driving a lot better for a 6'2" guy like myself.

Second to the premium package would be the visual boost XL.

#16 ·
Of all the options I got, I think the premium package with the sunroof is my favorite. Not that I drive with the sunroof open, having the light come through the roof with or without the sun shade really makes you feel like you're in a much larger vehicle. That makes the experience of driving a lot better for a 6'2" guy like myself.

Second to the premium package would be the visual boost XL.
I was debating on the sunroof myself, but I think I'm actually going to stay away from it. I've had sunroofs in all of my cars but never used them (not even just as a window to let light in as you're describing). It's almost like I've forgotten they are there every time. Also, it's $1,000 extra dollars I'm not sure I want to spend, and it adds a lot of extra mass really high up which throws off the handling and feel just that little bit. But 100% definitely on the Visual Boost XL. Gotta have the bigger screen! :D

#10 ·
As you can see from the varied answers one person's fast is another's slow and as is what is quick enough. Here in the uk I got fed up of getting stuck behind slow traffic and not being able to use a proper quick car. Nevertheless the Cooper feels pretty fast enough to me. For useable proper quick even a cheap motorbike wins every time as you can get past the road trains! You need to drive them.

Reactions: Tiger
#11 ·
Quote from March 2, 2015....thecarconnection.com website by John Voelcker

"With a few carefully chosen options, the base three-cylinder 2015 MINI Cooper offers better value than the high-end Cooper S--which offers less of a performance boost than it used to."

I totally agree....a Justa would be more than fine for you.
In fact, when Mini brought out the F56, the base price at least here in Canada dropped by $4,000. This is unheard of. You will be VERY HAPPY in a Justa.
Good Luck !

#15 ·
I guess this is the answer I was looking for more explanation out of. Because I've also heard someone say that they were actually really surprised with the three-cylinder model. And when stepping up to the Cooper S that price vs. performance boost was a little disappointing. But I want to know more on WHY the three-cylinder is actually really good and WHY (in detail hopefully) someone should choose it over the technically faster Cooper S and JCW.

#18 ·
True, maybe the sunroof is an option then!

As far as models go, I might be out of luck with a JCW regardless. Just called my dealer and he said they're not even taking orders for a manual JCW right now until probably June, and I wouldn't see the car until end of summer at best (so like 4-5 months?). If I got a manual Cooper S, it's about 6-8 weeks, but still 1.5-2 months-ish.

Not sure what I should do here in this regard. Sounds like either way I'm waiting quite a while. Should I wait double the time for a JCW, or go with the Cooper S, hmmmm.

EDIT: In thinking about this, it might be more worth it to get the Cooper S, and then in late summer when the JCW would be coming out, use the $5k+ I'm saving to buy the aftermarket parts that will inevitably be available about that time, haha. Then make it faster than a JCW!

#19 ·
I have a sunroofs because it came with the heated seat option that I really wanted and needed. I am more than happy with the sun roof and retractable roof. I know for one thing, for resale I am told by the dealership is a great resale feature to have. For another reason, larger size drivers find that by having a sunroof it gives the impression that the car has more room in it and they don't feel so cramped. An option that they are looking for when buying a Mini. I could not be happier having this option. It actually is panoramic, but the rear rood does not open up like in prior years.

#21 ·
Okay, well there's definitely some consideration to be had for the sunroof vs. non-sunroof. It'll probably come more down to price than anything else!

Right now it looks like I'm down to two options because of the time it takes to build one of these... both 6-8 weeks.

Cooper JCW Automatic

or

Cooper S Manual

I would have preferred a JCW with the manual transmission, because I feel like that's how you're supposed to drive one of these Mini's, but they're not even taking orders for them for another 6 weeks, add several months on top of that too... Also, it looks like the automatic is a tad bit faster than the manual anyway which is interesting...

Anyone have any thoughts on the manual vs. automatic transmission for the mini?

Thanks!

#22 ·
Anyone have any thoughts on the manual vs. automatic transmission for the mini?

Thanks!
I had my heart set on a manual because this might be the last vehicle that I can get it on. As I pointed out, I purchased off the showroom floor and it happened to have a manual and I probably got the deal I did because they weren't getting customers that wanted to pay for a loaded car that had a manual.

I'm sure if I had custom ordered the car, my wife would have talked me into the automatic.

As far as manual shifters go, the mechanism is very accurate and smooth. It does make a distinct noise as you move through the gears though. More so than the cars I've owned in the past.

#24 ·
As for the sun roof, I learned with my brief 3 years of Jetta babysitting that there is a narrow window of time each year here when I'd actually use the thing before it was too hot or too cold, so I put that money right into something else... which brings me to...

Auto vs manual... I went back and forth on this for a long time before a good friend reminded me that I've torn my groin both in training and on the ice and asked me how I planned to operate a clutch if I did it again... or blew a knee, hip, or got plowed over in net and took out a shoulder. Then I remembered how much fun the manual is in traffic, so the sunroof went right into the automatic trans.

#25 ·
This is true. I think the manual would be a lot of fun. It's great to row through the gears and it feels really good. BUT. Right now I really hurt the left side of my tailbone area working out. As of right now, when I even fake like I have a manual in my automatic car, unless I sit right my tailbone hurts. So that's a good point, what if I broke a leg, or this pain never goes away, gets worse, etc. How can I drive?

Also, the automatic is faster, and an auto JCW can get here in the same time as a manual Cooper S... might just be going auto and never own a manual. And by the time I get a new car, no manuals will probably even be being made anymore... Besides, manuals already have crappy resale value, I'm sure 2+ years down the road that's only going to get worse...

#28 ·
One more thing about the automatic JCW...isn't this the first JCW model to even offer an automatic transmission? Some may know more about this than me....but, if that's so, it kinda seems to me to be a marketing ploy to get the automatic out in circulation before the manual.

There's no way the manual trans is more complicated and difficult to build than an automatic, so that lag in time to production makes one wonder huh?

I'm still waiting for the manual! :)

#29 ·
My apologies for not weighing in sooner, I've been an irregular visitor to the forum. For what it's worth ....

If fun is what you are after, go manual. As others have said it is the true nature of a "sports" car. As far as the model goes, I would go for a JCW if you like the look of it. Remember much of what you pay for with a JCW is not performance but flash. It will be faster than a S model but only just a bit. I would not go for the 1.5 only because if ultimate performance is what you crave, you will be disappointed. Yes the 1.5 is impressive, but the 2.0 is more responsive and will have much better headroom for aftermarket performance parts. As the gear heads say, "There is no replacement for displacement." In the long run you will be able to get more out of an S and probably make it it quicker than a stock JCW by adding performance parts.

Sunroof or not? That's a personal decision. Honestly I don't believe that the extra weight makes much difference unless you plan to track your car. I like mine, it's nice to feel the breeze and the sun. I also like the look of a solid white roof without the glass. You decide.

I would reccomend you also think about suspension. I have the variable damping type and given the 3rd world quality of my local roads I like it. However the sport suspension will give you increased performance and more of that go kart feel. Once again, if you plan on tracking or need that stiffer feel daily, go for the sport. If you like a bit of softness from time to time go variable.

Whatever you decide upon, if it's a MINI, you'll be happy. I'm on my second S model (1st F56) and I can't imagine driving anything else as my daily ride. Motor on!
Oost

#30 ·
If fun is what you are after, go manual. As others have said it is the true nature of a "sports" car. As far as the model goes, I would go for a JCW if you like the look of it. Remember much of what you pay for with a JCW is not performance but flash. It will be faster than a S model but only just a bit. I would not go for the 1.5 only because if ultimate performance is what you crave, you will be disappointed. Yes the 1.5 is impressive, but the 2.0 is more responsive and will have much better headroom for aftermarket performance parts. As the gear heads say, "There is no replacement for displacement." In the long run you will be able to get more out of an S and probably make it it quicker than a stock JCW by adding performance parts.
Thanks for weighing in! And thanks to everyone else too!

Okay, I think I've decided. I think I'm going to go with a Manual Cooper S. If I order it soon I can take delivery of it in June. I can take delivery of an Automatic JCW around the same time, but I'm really itching to try a manual. Besides, I feel like if I don't get a manual now in my life, with my first Mini, I really don't know WHEN I'll ever decide to hop in one. It's sort of now or never!

Also, my MCS spec'd out is like $6,000 cheaper than the JCW. I even have the JCW body kit on the MCS so the ONLY thing I'm getting with that $6,000 is half a second faster 0-60... not worth it. Guarantee on city driving, I'm not even going to notice. I wouldn't be able to take delivery of a Manual JCW until like August or September I bet. By that time there will be a LOT of performance parts I can throw on my MCS to make it go faster than a JCW without spending that full $6,000 I bet.

So the Manual MCS with the bells and whistles (no sunroof though sorry guys!) and the JCW exterior and interior packages. I think this will be the best option, plus I'll be able to save a lot of money!

EDIT: Still even debating if the JCW aero kit is worth it. Sure the JCW is nice looking, but so is the standard MCS. And for $2,500 I'm not sure if it changes ENOUGH to justify the price... hmm... so many option with Mini!

#31 ·
I believe you will be happy with that decision. The MCS I drove this week for a test drive was just soooo sweet. Easy shifting, carbon leatherette sport seats, and just an overall snug but comfortable feel. Driving position was top notch. We were gone for maybe 30 minutes, but the drive was over too fast to suit me...I think I was just "numb". Waiting now that I've ordered is just going to be brutal!

The article I read earlier this year on pistonheads wasn't very kind regarding the front of the F56, but I really don't agree. The F56 has moved away from the cutsie look IMO and just looks more muscular.

As soon as we drove into the Dealer lot I spotted a VO colored MCS and my wife was thinking I'd order an MCS that looks exactly like the one atop this forum! Love it..love it! But, I stayed with my build.

Let the fun begin & Good luck!

John

#33 ·
I believe you will be happy with that decision. The MCS I drove this week for a test drive was just soooo sweet. Easy shifting, carbon leatherette sport seats, and just an overall snug but comfortable feel. Driving position was top notch. We were gone for maybe 30 minutes, but the drive was over too fast to suit me...I think I was just "numb". Waiting now that I've ordered is just going to be brutal!

Let the fun begin & Good luck!

John
Thanks! I think so too. Obviously, the JCW is the top-of-the-line. But I don't see how it would be that much more fun over an MCS that I could get 2-4 months earlier for $6,000 cheaper. Also, by personally getting the JCW exterior and interior package, I get what I mostly loved out of the JCW - the more aggressive look. As for HP and torque? I can make that up later with a tune or whatever comes out for the MCS. I've heard nothing but good things about these models, so I'm confident I'll be plenty happy with a MCS.

Still going to have to wait a few months though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.