Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my car is well and truly on the blink.

First it tells me that I'm in a 80mph speed limit (no such speed limit in the UK), then when I'm the only car on the road it switches off the cruise itself with a warning message telling me to keep my distance and today while driving into work it slammed the brakes on really hard by itself telling me there was a car in front of me when there was nothing! I was nearly garotted by the seatbelt!

As per the title, what on earth?!

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
GULP; is it sunny; have you gone under a bridge; in the usa there are some threads about this happening-the system is camera based -below the mirror and bright sunlight confuses it apparently but worth a visit to the stealer i feel! i really fancied it for the speed warnings on the hud but the budget wouldnt run to it; perhaps a good choice!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the radar based system on my Golf and that is also prone to false alerts, and you also sometimes fall into the trap of losing speed without realising it as the car in front slows down and so do you...

I wouldnt spec again.

Ian

·
Registered
213 Posts
Its happened a few times on mine (UK also) Sun does seem to affect it and low lighting in daylight, happens more when there are cars parked on the road and your going past them and it thinks you are going to crash :D

Never had it do it on the motorway or say 80 limit etc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The weirdest thing this morning was that it did it just as I was driving past the MINI dealer. Perhaps it wanted to stop and say hi to its mates!

Spoken to dealer, they said to book it in and they will check it out. It was sunny this morning but on the other occasions it's had a wobbly it wasn't. No bridges etc.

It's like a misbehaving child :D

·
Registered
608 Posts
Check your settings re the 80 limit, if your Units section is set to KM, a 50MPH limit will show as 80. Don't forget it's a profile thing so depends on what key you're using...

Radar Cruise can be a bugger, no massive splatted moth on the windscreen I gather? :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check your settings re the 80 limit, if your Units section is set to KM, a 50MPH limit will show as 80. Don't forget it's a profile thing so depends on what key you're using...

Radar Cruise can be a bugger, no massive splatted moth on the windscreen I gather? :)
I'd already set all the settings when I got the car but just been out to double check and they're all in the correct units for UK. I've got the collision warning set to 'early' but not so early I hope that it kicks in where there isn't even another car on the road!

Nothing on the windscreen, dead or alive :D

·
Registered
844 Posts
I am not a fan of this auto braking feature.

When I test drove an f56 when I slowed the speed using cruise control when it was on the car slammed on the anchors. What is wrong with the car being allowed to slow naturally?

To the opening poster - I would get your car to a dealer asap and avoid using these features in the meantime.

·
Registered
254 Posts

When I test drove an f56 when I slowed the speed using cruise control when it was on the car slammed on the anchors. What is wrong with the car being allowed to slow naturally?

To the opening poster - I would get your car to a dealer asap and avoid using these features in the meantime.
I like this.

If i see a speed camera for 50, I can click it down from 55* and get it to slow itself in time. A gentle pressure on the gas pedal stops the braking and allows as you say it to 'slow naturally' :)

Win win (for me)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hmmmmmm. Apart from when it's having a wobbly mine always brakes slowly. I use the Driver Assist every day as I have a fairly long commute on fast, open roads. It always brakes slowly when it detects a car in front, never quickly. But I have the stopping distance set to maximum. Maybe the one you drove had the stopping distance set much lower so the car has to brake more quickly?

That was my post :D

I've used it again this morning without any problems. The sun was out but the direction I travel in the morning means that the sun is behind me anyway so I can't see that that could be a factor in the previous instances either as the sun would have been behind me on those occasions too.

It did do something strange on the way home however last night. I was stuck in heavy traffic and had been crawling for some time when all of a sudden I get a picture on the central display of the car and the front and rear sensor areas (don't know how else to describe it), no warning messages though. I'd got cars in front, behind and to the side of me but none of them were particularly close or any closer than they had been for the last hour while I was crawling. It stayed on for a bit, even when I started moving again, and then went off.

I spoke to my local dealer yesterday and one of the questions they asked is whether I have had a new screen fitted. I have, a couple of months ago. Apparently this is one of the possible causes listed. So I am now making enquiries with the dealer who fitted the windscreen. They are coming back to me today. Maybe that's what it is and it hasn't been calibrated correctly after the new screen was fitted

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just had this from the dealer who fitted the new windscreen...........................

It has become apparent that we should have recalibrated the camera on the vehicle once we had replaced the windscreen. I am very sorry to say that this was not carried out.

Oopsy! Let's hope that when it's been re-calibrated it stops all the nonsense (or most of it!) :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So my "splatted moth" theory was pretty much correct then.. (in a convoluted and obscure way).. Needless to say, I WIN!

hahahahaha!!

NURSE!! He's out of bed again
Not only is he out of bed again but he got out of the straight jacket too!
You do not win. As per attached :D

Anyway I've decided that I'm quite annoyed about this. I mean, this is meant to be a safety feature, and my car was given back to me with this feature in a 'faulty' state. Could have caused a serious accident.

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Not only is he out of bed again but he got out of the straight jacket too!
You do not win. As per attached :D

Anyway I've decided that I'm quite annoyed about this. I mean, this is meant to be a safety feature, and my car was given back to me with this feature in a 'faulty' state. Could have caused a serious accident.
Fine, be like that.. but to me, it's a moral victory :p

Exactly how cross are you? Is it because its Thursday? The world is full of idiots, unfortunately, we let some of them work on cars.

It'll all be different come the revolution.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine consistently had major problems with the Radar cruise control and indeed three times braked hard to stop me hitting an invisible car in front of me. On two occasions the person behind me nearly went into the boot, 3 months off investigations and I rejected the car. My dealer were brilliant and handled the full process faultlessly, full refund after 6 months of owning the car and now back into a BMW. Sorry but Mini was not for us.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I have the automatic Braking System in my Volvo Semi. The other Day my Semi hit the Brakes for no Reason at 68 MPH with nobody in front of me. The Truck behind me almost rear ended me. As much as I like/dislike Safety Features I do not like it when the Car/Truck drives me.:(

I am a strong believer if you just have the Basic Feature/Safety/Automatic Stuff in a Car the better is the driving Experience.:D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine consistently had major problems with the Radar cruise control and indeed three times braked hard to stop me hitting an invisible car in front of me. On two occasions the person behind me nearly went into the boot, 3 months off investigations and I rejected the car. My dealer were brilliant and handled the full process faultlessly, full refund after 6 months of owning the car and now back into a BMW. Sorry but Mini was not for us.
That's really interesting. Are you in the UK, US etc.? Just preparing myself in case I have to go down this route. In my experience dealers have never been helpful when rejecting a car

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am a strong believer if you just have the Basic Feature/Safety/Automatic Stuff in a Car the better is the driving Experience.:D
I love technology and new car features but I have to admit that I'm also on the fence on these safety technologies, most of the time all I keep thinking is, why would you need something to (for example) break for you, just pay attention to the road, even simple things like reverse/proximity sensors seem unnecesary (unless your car is huge) and even then I tend to not fully trust them cause I have seen to many accidents because people trust blindly on this features.

I'm glad they are still optional and I sincerely dread the day that they become standard and/or impossible to disable.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I completely agree, there is absolutely no substitution for staying alert and watching the road. These features are an additional safety measure and are not meant to be solely relied on. It even says this in the handbook. Cruise control is very popular and that is exactly the same thing, you're giving the car the control.

These features only become an issue when people without a brain DO solely rely on them. Even in situations like mine and like others have said, where the car suddenly slams on the anchors for no reason, if someone were to go into the back of you, that's their bad driving for not leaving sufficient stopping distance, so they are the ones not paying attention.

I bought my MINI as an Approved Used car so didn't actually spec this feature myself, it was already on the car when I bought it. Would I actually choose to have it? Probably not as I am perfectly capable of driving safely myself and I believe that my own judgement is far better than a computers in these situations so to actually spend hundreds of pounds on such a feature to me is not cost effective. But I will use it now that I have it (provided it doesn't continue to malfunction!) but will not alter my awareness of what is going on around me. Only a fool would do that. It's called Driver ASSIST not Driver Completely Switch Off and Take No Notice Of The Road Whatsoever :D It's just a shame some mindless people don't realise that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.