Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight, got my first closeup of an BMW M2, leaving our local chinese takeaway car park. White with some kind of Martini-esque blue, red and black stripes down the side. Sounded like thunder, swollen rear arches, the dogs do-dahs. Thought yeah, I REALLY like that. M's never done it for me until now.

I know they are £45k+ but got me thinking, what would get me out of my JCW for non-supercar money? Would have to be £50k absolute max, be a daily drive with 4 seats and 35ish mpg. And different. Always wanted TTRS but the wheels on the new one look so utterly hideous......

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
This is such a subjective question that it really is difficult to answer. My first thought reply is none. I have had a lot of cars over the years and really none of them have tickled my fancy as much as my F56 JCW. I have a C7 corvette that I really enjoy, but I like the mini better, the vette is faster, sleeker, and has more bells and whistles, but I still prefer twisting and squealing in the mini.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looked a bit like this, was twilight, google pics dont do it justice. I'mnot easily impressed but this had serious presence for a smallish car.... overtaken TTRS on my realistic want list.

https://goo.gl/images/4ka1sB

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Looked a bit like this, was twilight, google pics dont do it justice. I'mnot easily impressed but this had serious presence for a smallish car.... overtaken TTRS on my realistic want list.

https://goo.gl/images/4ka1sB
Now THAT is a rear diffuser!!! I'd like to see that car in Schwarz though....black would look killer imo! Those stripes are BMW Motorsport colors.

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
The only current cars that would shift me out of my mini would be the Jag f type (£54k )cheapest so on the limit here or the new ford mustang. The pound for metal bargain of the century IMO. Would be totally happy withthe 2,5 turbo but if petrol cost werent an issue the v8 at 35k. Now thats a big fast car for very little. No wonder theyre selling at a premi um!

And i don't care that it wouldnt be as Chuck able!

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
The only current cars that would shift me out of my mini would be the Jag f type (£54k )cheapest so on the limit here or the new ford mustang.
I would totally agree, the 'F' type jag is just amazing, it would bemy pick as well.

As for a price for price comparison to trade the mini on, nothing comes close.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
Wow, 40k for a 9 year old corvette. It looks amazing but very simple on the inside. I thought they would be cheaper. I know its not possible but i will go for a 9 year old XF Jag.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I kind of meant new or very nearly new, but on those lines, a friend of mine had an older Camaro Z28, 5.7 V8 - 1980's vintage. Fabulous piece of kit and pretty rare in the UK. Had it imported. Ended up getting written off...... It was named KIT as in the black car of Knightrider..... it was LHD, relatively huge and guzzelled fuel. He loved that car. Red velour interior too.

I'd have to add new Focus RS. Never had an RS and everyone should at somepoint in their life. Same with Alfa but only the 4C floats my boat at the moment and hasnt got 4 seats. F-type is a great call, budget stretcher but yes!

So in no particular order M2, Focus RS and ultra ultra basic special offer F-type coupe...... TTRS no longer on my list due to hideous wheels.

Shows what a spot an MCS or JCW hold in the market and at £25-£30k an absolute steal.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
615 Posts
I change my cars pretty regularly over the last decade or so and like to think I've had some very nice cars which have included E36 M3 evo, E46 M3, E87 BMW 130i (which I modified), 987 Cayman R, R56 Mini Cooper D (workhorse to my Cayman R), F20 BMW M135 (modified), 981 Cayman S and now the F56 Mini Cooper S (modified)...

Although some cars have cost much more than my Mini, I don't enjoy the Mini any less than the others... We get used to cars when we drive them every day and I've noticed that when I spend £50-60k on a car, you still get used to it's superb qualities until you take them for granted... A special car used only for odd weekends, I feel this might be different...

I have now learned from my own experience that chasing the next best thing is no longer for me and to carry on spending (sometimes a fortune) on cars (which I'm passionate about) only provides that temprorary elation which in time (usually 18 months for me) I get used to and then ask myself why am I paying a fortune for something I now take for granted?

I hope to keep the Mini for a few years to come (I hope) and not even thinking about other cars which may or may not be better... Strangely it's the cheapest car BMW 130i which I purchased used for £16.5k (8 months old) that I kept the longest (4 years) as it just fantastic after a few choice mods.

Good luck with your hunting for the next best (and expensive) car ;)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha ha, Im not hunting at all! Love my mini wouldnt swap it for anything. I ve had years of company cars, some really nice ones too so ive been lucky. Now ive opted out and i can have what i want (within reason) im like a kid in a sweet shop!!!!! Even if I was going to swap it, there is very very little that takes my fancy. Guess i need to wait until the kids leave home and i can scratch the porsche itch Sootyvrs!

Think this does show how good the JCW is, and although perceived as an expensive mini, is a cracking premium performance bargain.... demonstrated if i need to spend nearly double to get me out of mine!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Think this does show how good the JCW is, and although perceived as an expensive mini, is a cracking premium performance bargain.... demonstrated if i need to spend nearly double to get me out of mine!
Absolutely!!! The F56 JCW is a lot of car & value for the money. People who are not fans of MINI are totally clueless & that!s fine with me....it's our little secret!

I remember when the BMW E30 M3 first came out (due to homologation regulations for racing) and only Bimmer fans knew what they were! Non-believers just missed out! lol!

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Good thread and reading about all the wonderful toys that were and are available is great fun. The F56 JCW is close to the perfect car for me due to price, performance, appearance, and the ubiquitous fun factor. I don't baby any of my toys, but when I am performance driving a high dollar toy, price of repairs, etc. are always there and that impacts the fun factor tremendously. I have thought about this a lot and of all the toys that I have had over decades the mini is the golden chalice for me and I hope to keep driving one for many more years. I would go for the GP, but I like prefer the appearance of the JCW and the rear seat has become indispensable as both grandchildren can fit in it, but that will change with time and one of the performance toys may have to be sacrificed for sane transport, maybe a Chevrolet Impala super sport, so maybe the corvette will have to go, but not the mini!

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
There is a lot of good cars out there for sub £50k, and the M2 is probably one of the best. The F type is an awesome car, but you need the S version (the middle one) before you start having fun and it's so damned expensive. A new Cayman S is just about sub £50k, but toys would take it over that.

We are certainly living in the time of the hot hatch, with so many good cars available. I honestly think that you can't really go wrong, and it comes down to what impresses you on the test drive, and what suits you personally (and possibly the dealer experience).

I still love my JCW though, it's a good mix of power, handling, feedback and usability. Oh, and it looks great too...

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's the reason I retired my Z4M to weekend only use & bought my JCW.

There were only c.1000 Z4M cars in the UK, so it's a rare beast. I purchased it last year with only 7k on the clock and it now has 25k on it. This is a forever car for me, as wanted one since launch. Toyed with putting both car values together and buying just one car, but as has been said, you get used to them...having 2 is the best mix for me. Was a little shocked my JCW insurance was higher than the M though!

Owned the JCW since the 2nd Sept and the M hasn't left the garage yet, says a lot for the JCW.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
That's the reason I retired my Z4M to weekend only use & bought my JCW.

There were only c.1000 Z4M cars in the UK, so it's a rare beast. I purchased it last year with only 7k on the clock and it now has 25k on it. This is a forever car for me, as wanted one since launch. Toyed with putting both car values together and buying just one car, but as has been said, you get used to them...having 2 is the best mix for me. Was a little shocked my JCW insurance was higher than the M though!

Owned the JCW since the 2nd Sept and the M hasn't left the garage yet, says a lot for the JCW.
The insurance factor may be related to how many of us really push the JCWs and the Ss as well beyond our personal limits all to often! I am working around the place today and the toy shed doors are open. It is taking all of my willpower not to answer the siren call of the mini!

·
Registered
19 Posts
The insurance factor may be related to how many of us really push the JCWs and the Ss as well beyond our personal limits all to often! I am working around the place today and the toy shed doors are open. It is taking all of my willpower not to answer the siren call of the mini!
I think you are correct, probably with the rarity of the M it might be driven differently by owners, as it can never really be replaced & probably has a track record accordingly. It can still scare the **** out of me on some roads when giving it everything. The JCW on the test drive along roads I know was far more planted, slightly more 'modern' in its set up.

It certainly feels harder to drive the M around the twisty stuff than the JCW, but probably more rewarding. Equally given the speed the JCW can carry round bends accidents could be more expensive to fix! The only big issue I had with the JCW on the test drive was the first roundabout....read so much about how good the brakes were, but vs the M, they aren't....a slight trouser moment as took about 20mph round it than I planned. Dealer tensed up but didn't comment, I braked earlier after that moment & building my confidence up since.

Perhaps it's across all mini variants that add to the JCW price effect on insurance, who knows.

But the mix of the two cars gives a great combo, love to reverse the JCW into the garage to hear the pro exhaust bang in an enclosed space! Also need a bimodal on the M now too!

I know the call of the mini, 600 miles left until I can really open it up!

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
Dont think it's all variants I think it'll br the extra risk associated with the performance nature of the jcw and risk of theft. Not sure why it should be higher than an m4 unless they think more sensible/mature!!!!! drivers buy those? My cooper is the cheapest car ive ever had to insure. Fully comp plus business and protected no claims for £170!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.