Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never bought a new car and I'm a bit unsure what to expect when I collect it. I downloaded a "collecting a new car checklist" and it has things that I never thought of... mostly it's about checking evrything as thoroughly as you can... is everything there and does it work?

It says you should ask if there have been any repairs... is it common for new cars to have been damaged in transit and then repaired? Is there a level of damage that is considered "normal"?

Also it says to ask what was done for the PDI... so what would I expect to have been done? Is it like an MOT? Or is it more like removing the packaging and giving it a polish?

It's all very exciting, but I'm a bit nervous too... in a good way :)
Thanks for any insight...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Mark

First thing is to inspect it

Second thing is to ask questions quite rightly because it becomes a legal matter if you ask and they say no to something for example and for arguments sake later on you find out that you were told a lie!

Ask about the PDI - they should have a report for it which you should have as a copy - as them if everything is in working order and everything you requested is present.

Nothing like an intense work out for the dealers i say

:D

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
A quick Whatcar explanation

Pre-delivery inspection (PDI) - Any dealer worth their salt will put a car through a PDI to check for faults. Should any problems be revealed you can expect them to be corrected. The PDI should be a thorough examination, but don't take the dealer's word for it - check the car over carefully yourself before driving away.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Of course Audi Coventry signed off on my A5 PDI saying nothing was wrong

Technically the car was manufactured faulty and they were liable for lying but they got away with it - boo hoo

Well thats old news now I got rid of the **** thing!

:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
At the very least I would take your order with you and tick off everything that is meant to be there. This is probably more important than normal because of the high degree of customisation available. I'd check for any metalwork damage to body or wheels. Check glass for cracks or chips. If the light is good enough, check the paint. Finally, based on experience, I'd check the tyre pressures on the screen to make sure they were properly inflated - so you don't blame the ride on tyres at 50psi!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had a long checklist to tick off to confirm I'd checked everything. Also, the chap spent about 90 mins showing me around, getting me to inspect it and showing me how stuff worked. Which was good - but I was just dying to get on and drive it!!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I had a long checklist to tick off to confirm I'd checked everything. Also, the chap spent about 90 mins showing me around, getting me to inspect it and showing me how stuff worked. Which was good - but I was just dying to get on and drive it!!
I hope you're still not *dying* to drive it

:eek:

:nerd:>:D

All is well that ends well Metalpetal ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
And yours will end well soon!!!! :-D How much longer to go now??

Reactions: GoKart7

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm, you have a date 12 days from now and my dealer doesn't know whether he'll see the car tomorrow or the day after... I don't know which is worse!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry I typo'd my question.

I haven't ordered any extras like supuguard. Do new cars come with a coat of wax or anything? They're very shiny to start with.
You've got to think as to who is going to prepare your pride & joy and are they going to polish or detail it (if your like me) and generally take the same love and attention as we would with our long awaited new toys.

As for Diamondbrite Supaguard or equivalents, I have paid to have it done to new cars before plus I've purchased the kit & done it myself on 2 other cars, the result is OK but after a few months it still requires a good thorough preparation & waxing with GOOD quality kit like Meguiars to bring out the best finish. So will I let Mini do any extra to mine when i eventually get it in September -- no

:nerd:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sorry I typo'd my question.

I haven't ordered any extras like supuguard. Do new cars come with a coat of wax or anything? They're very shiny to start with.
I believe - and could be wrong - they add a protective coating of something on the car when it goes on the transport lorry and this is then washed off by the dealer when it arrives and you collect. Unless you request something like supagard I don't think you get anything other than a regular clean.

I didn't go for the supagard as it was so expensive (£350) and would prefer to spend less and hand it over to a reputable detailer to do for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts