Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could really do with some help on tyre sizes please!

Just took delivery of a set of 18x8 ET45 OZ Leggera HLT wheels. Plan was to fit 225/40 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tyres, but my garage thinks they’ll rub because of the rim protection bulge.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If they’ll rub, what alternatives work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Lots of info in this thread

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run OZ 18x8 et45 with 225/40 tyres and unless your car is lowered you should not have any problems.
Thanks! It’s lowered on MSS springs. Looking at adjusting the camper a bit, but the challenge is getting accurate details of tyre sizes because they all appear to be slightly different in actual width. Got about 5mm between rim and strut with a wheel and no tyre fitted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
32 Posts
So clean!! I prefer your matt black look, unfortunately the rims I bought only come in gloss black. May have to consider a respray before getting them on!
Are yours 8.5”? That must be close to the strut?
Thanks! Yeah matt black is perfect - suits grey perfectly.

My wheel shop did recommend 8.0j 215 width so it clears the struct. I've ran this set up for 2 years and no issues. If you prefer a 8.5j 225/40/18, it should run fine too as I know a few guys with this meatier tyre setup to close off the arch gap. One good thing with a 215 width is it'll be more comfortable and compliant plus cheaper tyre price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! Yeah matt black is perfect - suits grey perfectly.

My wheel shop did recommend 8.0j 215 width so it clears the struct. I've ran this set up for 2 years and no issues. If you prefer a 8.5j 225/40/18, it should run fine too as I know a few guys with this meatier tyre setup to close off the arch gap. One good thing with a 215 width is it'll be more comfortable and compliant plus cheaper tyre price.
The wheels I have are 8x18 ET45, just didn’t know if 8.5x18 ET45 would fit. Got my sights on Michelin PS4S tyres, that’s what I hope will fit. Garage thinks that the rim protector on the tyre may cause a problem with the strut, there’s only about 5-6mm gap between wheel and strut.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My OZ Ultraleggera wheels is 8x18 ET45. Didn't your first post specified your wheels 8j and not 8.5j?

If it is indeed 8.5x18 ET45, then perhaps 8j width tyres would still fit albeit a stretch set up.

Here's a useful online calculator to work out the new set up:
Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit
It was your Will They Fit comparisons above that threw me, you've compared a 6" rim against an 8.5" rim. The wheels I have on are 7" on 205/40s, new wheels are 8" and I'd like to get 225/40s on. I've used Will They Fit, but it doesn't tell me what the actual clearance will be...unfortunately.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It was your Will They Fit comparisons above that threw me, you've compared a 6" rim against an 8.5" rim. The wheels I have on are 7" on 205/40s, new wheels are 8" and I'd like to get 225/40s on. I've used Will They Fit, but it doesn't tell me what the actual clearance will be...unfortunately.
Ahh I see sorry for the confusion! You're right even with the correct 7" calculation it doesn't tell you whether 225 tyres would clear the strut. Could your garage fit 1 wheel and tyre to mock up the fit and test to see if it clears?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ahh I see sorry for the confusion! You're right even with the correct 7" calculation it doesn't tell you whether 225 tyres would clear the strut. Could your garage fit 1 wheel and tyre to mock up the fit and test to see if it clears?
Not an issue, your input is really helpful!
The plan is to drop 2 rims in and test fit, the garage have a good relationship with the tyre guys and it should be ok to swap over as long as they’re not driven on. Looking at changing the camber slightly as well, apparently the standard camber is very upright. The garage are running a GP3 on about neg 1.5 and it isn’t too aggressive for road use.
Already had Eibach antiroll bar kit fitted (makes a big difference) and exploring the possibility of fitting the GP3 chassis brace. The extra rubber from the wider tyres should make it stick like glue!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not an issue, your input is really helpful!
The plan is to drop 2 rims in and test fit, the garage have a good relationship with the tyre guys and it should be ok to swap over as long as they’re not driven on. Looking at changing the camber slightly as well, apparently the standard camber is very upright. The garage are running a GP3 on about neg 1.5 and it isn’t too aggressive for road use.
Already had Eibach antiroll bar kit fitted (makes a big difference) and exploring the possibility of fitting the GP3 chassis brace. The extra rubber from the wider tyres should make it stick like glue!
That'll be a sweet setup! Looking forward to seeing the pics on the final fit :cool:

·
Registered
19’ Thunder Grey MINI JCW LCI
9 Posts
Could really do with some help on tyre sizes please!

Just took delivery of a set of 18x8 ET45 OZ Leggera HLT wheels. Plan was to fit 225/40 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tyres, but my garage thinks they’ll rub because of the rim protection bulge.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If they’ll rub, what alternatives work?

Thanks!
I have SSR GTV02 18x8 ET45 imported from Japan with 225/40 Pilot Sport 4, and it's been riding very well. It is also lowered with Eibach springs, however, forgot lowered by how much mm. It does clear the Brembo caliper much more than the standard JCW rims. I do hear a slight rubbing in the wheel arch at the rear. However, only when the car is packed and going over big bumps.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have SSR GTV02 18x8 ET45 imported from Japan with 225/40 Pilot Sport 4, and it's been riding very well. It is also lowered with Eibach springs, however, forgot lowered by how much mm. It does clear the Brembo caliper much more than the standard JCW rims. I do hear a slight rubbing in the wheel arch at the rear. However, only when the car is packed and going over big bumps.

Hope this helps!
They are nice looking wheels!
That’s really useful feedback, thank you.
Are your tyres the 4 or 4S and do you know where in the arch they are rubbing?
Been trying to find somewhere that shows actually tyre measurements, rather than what the manufacturer claims. Being spoilt for choice doesn’t always make it easy!

·
Registered
19’ Thunder Grey MINI JCW LCI
9 Posts
They are nice looking wheels!
That’s really useful feedback, thank you.
Are your tyres the 4 or 4S and do you know where in the arch they are rubbing?
Been trying to find somewhere that shows actually tyre measurements, rather than what the manufacturer claims. Being spoilt for choice doesn’t always make it easy!
Thank you!

Currently running 4 because I thought I didn't need the grip levels of a 4S (and it costs more). But after a few track days, I will definitely consider getting the 4S once the current 4 turns bald.

Unfortunately, I can't find the exact spot that it is rubbing. I have not taken the wheel off of the car to check thoroughly, but when I do I will let you know.

You should check this website out. It really helps me when choosing new rims and/or wheels for my cars! Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

·
Registered
246 Posts
There’s also the new PS5 (I have the 205/40 18). Grips well so far and supposedly has better wear characteristics (and a slightly lovelier velvet side wall). My car is the SE so didn’t mind a more efficient, slightly harder compound in the name of efficiency. No PS4S in 205 or 215 either in the UK I don’t think (only 225).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts