Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week We were looking back at some old EBC Brake photos and brochures from 'days gone by' which then got us talking about the first vehicles we all owned (some of these can be seen in our new 'Taking a Break' YouTube series Taking a Brake with the EBC Team | Episode 1: Group CEO, James Hallett - YouTube

So, the question We have is what was the first vehicle you owned and what was so special or, not so special about it?
Was there anything 'quirky' about it? Did it have a name? Did you do any special upgrades to it?

We would love to see photos of your first vehicle and will be sending some free EBC goodies (Cap, Mug, Pen, Lanyard, you know the sort of things!) to a randomly selected forum user at the end of the week.

Get searching for those old photos in those attics/lofts/garages/under parent's beds or just on your phone or computer if you are from the younger generation.

We can't wait to see what you all used to drive, and I am sure occasionally push!

My first car was a Renault GT Turbo Raider with the colour coded wheels. No real modifications to be done so kept it standard, which in those days was more than enough. I wish I still had it as it would have made me a small fortune......

·
Super Moderator
7,440 Posts
That's a lovely First car. Mine was a White MG Metro with red carpets and seatbelts.

·
Super Moderator
7,440 Posts
That was mine -flat white wheels0- D470 WFE. Want one now-sorely tempted by one on ebay at 8k with 56k miles but storeage would be an issue!

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was mine -flat white wheels0- D470 WFE. Want one now-sorely tempted by one on ebay at 8k with 56k miles but storeage would be an issue!
Funny, I was also looking on eBay yesterday at the Raiders, not many around but a few GT Turbo's, always fancied the Fiesta RS too, if space and money was no issue...

·
Registered
2017 Cooper S
29 Posts
Mini Traveller 😂
Here I’m on my first road trip, Yorkshire to Cornwall in 1974
Learned a lot keeping this rot box on the road. There’s a reason they don’t make cars like that anymore
I had some great adventures in it none the less and it didn’t put me off my next car was another Mini

·
Registered
2016 Mini Cooper Convertible, Blazing Red
33 Posts
1965 Sunbeam Alpine, Commodore Blue with a black interior. A rarity here in the US. I bought it just after my 17th birthday in 1982. It was utterly unreliable, and completely captivating.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mini Traveller 😂
Learned a lot keeping this rot box on the road. There’s a reason they don’t make cars like that anymore
I had some great adventures in it none the less and it didn’t put me off my next car was another Mini

View attachment 72914
We all became mechanics by keeping our old motors on the road before these days when a computer tells us to plug it in to find a fault. Great photo for the memories, I have a Mini in the family and it is a great car, although nothing like the originals..

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mini Traveller 😂

View attachment 72914
Let's get a small free EBC gift sent out to you, PM your address.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A 1995 Saab 900 turbo that I inherited off my dad when he bought a new car in 2009. He bought it in 1999. Not the average car for a young driver.

It ended up getting new wheels, new suspension, a new interior, a full audio system, a 3" downpipe, a homebrew map and a whole host of other little odds and ends. I learned almost all I know about cars from working on it as I did almost all the work myself, including live tuning it. Only two breakdowns in 26 years wasn't bad going. First to fail was the fuel pump in 2014 and then an idler pully seized on the aux belt in 2018. (thankfully in a car park so I didn't end up shredding/snapping the belt)

The bonnet ended up getting replaced as it had started to rust through due to some damage caused on the motorway way back when my dad owned it. I've still not had it repainted to match the rest of the car yet. I had my first accident in it too after 8 years. High tyre pressures combined with a little too much speed and a rather thick rear ARB resulted in some rather interesting lift off oversteer which ended up with me destroying the drivers front wheel and most of the suspension after hitting a curb. The curb was preferable to a ditch full of trees or a wall. Luckily, I still had the old wheels and a stack of spare parts which meant I could get it rebuilt very cheaply. I still own it today, alongside my MCS as I couldn't bare to part with it after buying the mini for my everyday commute. I'd known the car for 20 years at that point. I'm hoping to get the body work seen to and a respray as it really is starting to look it's age in some places now.

How it looks today, with the old 15" wheels and a silver bonnet robbed off a 9-3.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A 1995 Saab 900 turbo that I inherited off my dad when he bought a new car in 2009. He bought it in 1999. Not the average car for a young driver.

It ended up getting new wheels, new suspension, a new interior, a full audio system, a 3" downpipe, a homebrew map and a whole host of other little odds and ends. I learned almost all I know about cars from working on it as I did almost all the work myself, including live tuning it. Only two breakdowns in 26 years wasn't bad going. First to fail was the fuel pump in 2014 and then an idler pully seized on the aux belt in 2018. (thankfully in a car park so I didn't end up shredding/snapping the belt)

The bonnet ended up getting replaced as it had started to rust through due to some damage caused on the motorway way back when my dad owned it. I've still not had it repainted to match the rest of the car yet. I had my first accident in it too after 8 years. High tyre pressures combined with a little too much speed and a rather thick rear ARB resulted in some rather interesting lift off oversteer which ended up with me destroying the drivers front wheel and most of the suspension after hitting a curb. The curb was preferable to a ditch full of trees or a wall. Luckily, I still had the old wheels and a stack of spare parts which meant I could get it rebuilt very cheaply. I still own it today, alongside my MCS as I couldn't bare to part with it after buying the mini for my everyday commute. I'd known the car for 20 years at that point. I'm hoping to get the body work seen to and a respray as it really is starting to look it's age in some places now.

How it looks today, with the old 15" wheels and a silver bonnet robbed of a 9-3.
What a cracking story and photos to go with it, great you have still got it. If you fancy a couple of EBC free gifts for your efforts, send me a PM with your address.

·
Registered
720 Posts
A Vauxhall Chevette, taught me all about engine electrics as they never worked in the wet. HT leads, distributor caps and spark plugs. This is a stock image but mine was the same colour and had the inset lights.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts