Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this earlier today, apart from not having the L.E.D lights I'm pretty happy with my mini for one reason alone... unlike my previous two it doesn't rattle!

So I was wondering how you lot are getting on with yours?

I have found that running 16" non run flats seems to be the winner. I recently had a loan cooper running on 17's, with run flats, brand new and it crashed across London streets and within 600 miles had already started to rattle a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
For the last 2 years I've been running a hardtop S with Sports Suspension, 17" wheels, and runflats. I live on a dirt road and have visited multiple trailheads which involved miles of driving on corduroy and borderline jeep roads.

On the dirt roads, I feel every perturbation. So I drive slowly and carefully. It's amazing how adroitly a MINI crosses rocky desert washes when driven deliberately. Trying to fly down the same roads would cause involuntary dental filling disassembly and emulsified kidneys so I don't do that.

On the pavement, I do feel the road surface but this is a sports car, not a Buick. That's what I paid for. If there's a sharp dip in the road, I slow down and creep over it (while hoping the imbecile in the giant SUV behind can stop before he runs up my rear). Speed bumps are taken on the diagonal.

Maybe I'm just a crusty old sports car fart but I like a firm suspension. I would never go for the Dynamic Dampers. I like the firm suspension so much that on my JCW I'm installing JCW Pro coilovers and a fat NM sway bar before I even take delivery. The Sports Suspension is better than stock, but I want more.

I am somewhat fearful of how slow my trailhead travels are going to be with the JCW. Hopefully I won't high-center on anything. But on the twisties, whoa Nellie!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Being very lucky at ordering my first new car and ticking nearly all the options, my Cooper S auto is brilliant.
It costs a bomb but I just love the interior, the HK Audio, the LEDS etc.. the nav is brilliant
I couldn't ask for more.

·
Registered
406 Posts
For the last 2 years I've been running a hardtop S with Sports Suspension, 17" wheels, and runflats. I live on a dirt road and have visited multiple trailheads which involved miles of driving on corduroy and borderline jeep roads.

On the dirt roads, I feel every perturbation. So I drive slowly and carefully. It's amazing how adroitly a MINI crosses rocky desert washes when driven deliberately. Trying to fly down the same roads would cause involuntary dental filling disassembly and emulsified kidneys so I don't do that.

On the pavement, I do feel the road surface but this is a sports car, not a Buick. That's what I paid for. If there's a sharp dip in the road, I slow down and creep over it (while hoping the imbecile in the giant SUV behind can stop before he runs up my rear). Speed bumps are taken on the diagonal.

Maybe I'm just a crusty old sports car fart but I like a firm suspension. I would never go for the Dynamic Dampers. I like the firm suspension so much that on my JCW I'm installing JCW Pro coilovers and a fat NM sway bar before I even take delivery. The Sports Suspension is better than stock, but I want more.

I am somewhat fearful of how slow my trailhead travels are going to be with the JCW. Hopefully I won't high-center on anything. But on the twisties, whoa Nellie!
I'm with this guy. I like a really firm suspension feel. I don't like very much, if any at all, play in my suspension. Right now all I have is the sport suspension, but I plan on converting all of my squishy bits to stiffer race grade components (squishy bits = mounts and bushings). I found that moving from 16" runflats, to a lightweight 17" wheel with XL non-runflat tires is like night and day. Not only do I get a phenominal upgrade in road stickiness, but the response time is exactly how my MINI should be acting.

Reactions: vetsvette and uke

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm with this guy. I like a really firm suspension feel. I don't like very much, if any at all, play in my suspension. Right now all I have is the sport suspension, but I plan on converting all of my squishy bits to stiffer race grade components (squishy bits = mounts and bushings). I found that moving from 16" runflats, to a lightweight 17" wheel with XL non-runflat tires is like night and day. Not only do I get a phenominal upgrade in road stickiness, but the response time is exactly how my MINI should be acting.

I agree firm is good, I miss the traction of a larger wheel but for me the rattles would out weigh any benefit. As it's my daily and not being chucked around a track a bit of give in the suspension is ok for me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I agree firm is good, I miss the traction of a larger wheel but for me the rattles would out weigh any benefit. As it's my daily and not being chucked around a track a bit of give in the suspension is ok for me.

Yeah the rattles can be a little intense, but for me feeling exactly what the car is doing at every corner is well worth it.

Again it's all personal preference, everyone has their own, and that's ok!

Reactions: uke

·
Super Moderator
8,741 Posts
I had 17 's on my f56 but the ride in our f54 coopers on run flats (not rf in the 56) is far superior plus feels equally chuckable and much safer at the limits. It continues to amaze me!

·
Registered
320 Posts
My JCW was just perfect at the time, but change in circumstances with a lot more miles and I wish I had the auto with adaptive cruise. Otherwise, the only thing missing is the folding mirrors, aparently they can dip down when parking so you dont kerb your rims (or enable you to watch it happening!). Still love my red roof.

17" non-rf on a JCW just works for me, motorways, country lanes and b-road blasts.....!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Uke you need airbags on your JCW lift it so you don,t scratch the spoiler lower it for them curves.:D

LOL yeah, no. In my misspent youth I briefly hung out with a bunch of guys that lowered their cars to the max. Looked cool (I suppose) handled better (I'm pretty sure) but in the extreme cases the car was terrified of cat-eyes and speed bumps. Following those people was like following a guided tour of every microscopic bump in the road as they swerved randomly and madly to avoid high-centering on a patch of extra-thick paint. No thanks.

For my JCW for about a nanosecond I flirted with the idea of super low. Then (for once!) reason prevailed. I'm going with 1". Otherwise I don't think I'll be able to drive home.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Lightweight NM 17" wheels w/non run flats. Sport suspension with NM springs, swaybar, end links, control arms, front strut tower brace, Cravenspeed Big Pair, and a custom 4 point roll bar. The only way I'm gonna get any chassis flex is if it gets hit by a truck. No rattles, rides smooth, and handles like it's on rails. When it was stock I had rattles and squeaks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lightweight NM 17" wheels w/non run flats. Sport suspension with NM springs, swaybar, end links, control arms, front strut tower brace, Cravenspeed Big Pair, and a custom 4 point roll bar. The only way I'm gonna get any chassis flex is if it gets hit by a truck. No rattles, rides smooth, and handles like it's on rails. When it was stock I had rattles and squeaks.

That's interesting to know. I has a feeling it was probably the RFs....

·
Registered
406 Posts
You should look into some upgraded bushings and mounts. Whiteline and Powerflex make some really good bushing inserts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Now you're talking. Uke approves of this setup. :D

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
My opinion of runflats = rotten feeling! I have 18" cup spoke wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires and they are great. They are very grippy, smooth riding, wonderful performing tires. I am averaging only 12,000 US miles per set, but that is OK considering my normal driving style as I try to make every drive a twist-a-thon! I dearly love the little beastie although by beastie standards the F is rather large. It really has become my favorite car of all times and I have had some great ones over the years. Paula, my wife, is planning a self driving tour of Ireland for us this fall and we are trying to secure an F series JCW for our tour! We hope to try Scotland next year!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was thinking about this earlier today, apart from not having the L.E.D lights I'm pretty happy with my mini for one reason alone... unlike my previous two it doesn't rattle!

So I was wondering how you lot are getting on with yours?

I have found that running 16" non run flats seems to be the winner. I recently had a loan cooper running on 17's, with run flats, brand new and it crashed across London streets and within 600 miles had already started to rattle a bit.
My JCW is still on the original Pirelli 18" RFs, but they'll soon be changed to something softer, quieter, stickier! I don't find them uncomfortable at all, but they are starting to make a din when the HK is turned down! (that's road noise not rattles... don't have any rattles yet!!)

My dilemma is whether to go 17" aftermarket wheels (for weight mostly) but I'm thinking I'll stick to 18" for the look!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.